• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Eddy Shaver

Wyatt Martin

Thanks for this! This is a new one for me as well.

I'm a huge fan but I noticed some of the old videos with Eddy have disappeared from YouTube a while back.

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
He's obviously an accomplished player but I just don't get why he gets so much accolade.

Wyatt Martin

He's obviously an accomplished player but I just don't get why he gets so much accolade.
I don't see too many accolades myself. He's fairly unknown partially because of the genre of music he played and he's probably even more unknown to the people who like that genre of music because they weren't the country chart toppers.

The first time I saw him play was on the Conan O'Brien show around 94 or 95. I personally wasn't into the grunge thing at the time and looking for something to inspire me and when I saw him and his dad I was totally motivated by what I heard. It changed the path I had been on. I was 20-21 years old. I put my pointy guitar up for sale and bought a strat and for the first time in my early life turned the drive knob on my overdrive pedal off full blast down to 8-9 o'clock and ditched my aspiration to play arenas for smokey bars instead lol! The impact Eddy had on me is the equivalent to the impact someone like SRV had on someone else.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Pretty much was the first real new wave of country/rock 'technician' in his time.
Could do anything pete Anderson did, but then could do it all with huge attitude and warp speed.
No tele/twin, strat and 300 watt boogies or marshalls.

Dripping with attitude. I think the tragic angle is something, but I also remember being completely blown away the first time I heard him...Video for 'Georgia on a fast trane' probably on VH1 country in the 90s.

27sauce

Sad that he was under his dad's thumb, so to speak. There are so many stories go gigs he was offered, should have had, almost had...but he stayed loyal to his dad, and they had a tumultuous relationship. IIRC they weren't playing together when Eddy died, he was doing his rock band full time.

DGA

Silver Supporting Member
Sad that he was under his dad's thumb, so to speak. There are so many stories go gigs he was offered, should have had, almost had...but he stayed loyal to his dad, and they had a tumultuous relationship. IIRC they weren't playing together when Eddy died, he was doing his rock band full time.
That's not what I read. I heard they had a show to play and Eddy never turned up. Billy got Willie Nelson to fill in for the gig.

27sauce

That's not what I read. I heard they had a show to play and Eddy never turned up. Billy got Willie Nelson to fill in for the gig.
Oh wow, I don't remember that at all. I saw him a few times in the months before his death. He was doing his rock/solo band.

I found that poodle's gig. I didn't remember that at the time at all. I stand corrected

Last edited:

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
He was one of the guys who really almost single handedly ushered in that hot, fast, bluesy yet slightly twangy chickin' pickin'/rock n' rollin' style. I'd put him up there with just about any of them, including SRV. You need to remember this was the early 80's, not 2018.

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
I saw him live with Dwight.I was looking forward to seeing Pete Anderson but was pleasantly surprised to hear Eddie. He was spectacular.

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
I don't hear Eddie being on the level of EJ and SRV but to each their own. I'm sure I'm in the minority here. I'll check out some more clips to see if I change my mind. I'm pretty open minded.

Trending Topics