Eden Amps. -New bassist here, give me the lowdown

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by ezyrydr, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ezyrydr

ezyrydr Member

Long time guitarist, first time bassist.

I caught the bass bug and I'm getting some gear. I'm looking at Eden because a very good friend runs a local music store and he carries Eden amps. I'm overdue to buy something from his store and since he only carries Eden I think that may be the way I go for my first amp.

Can anyone provide me with some clips of the "signature eden tone"?

I will say this, I love vintage tones. I really want that old Stax/Motown/Muscle Shoals bass tone. Will I be able to get close with an Eden?

2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Member

Two things.

1. Eden makes good gear. A lot of people have a lot of different recommendations, but when you get up to a certain point, the differences are mostly in taste.

2. Somewhere around 90-95% of your tone happens before the amp ever sees the signal. The strings, pickups, preamp if there is one, cord, and your fingers (your fingers being the most important variable) all shape the sound, and then you can further shape it at the amp.

I'm sure the amp will get you close to the sound you are looking for. My advice is to go ahead and get an Eden bass amp. Go as big and powerful as you can afford.

3. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

Eden does make nice gear, but I wouldn't call the sound vintage at all. It's more of a warm but modern sound. I think modern jazz/fusion tone. Vintage I think warm but round/wooly. I would think you would like the ampeg or Aguilar sound which sounds more vintage to me.

String choice will have a major effect on your tone. Flatwound strings will give you that thunky sound.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/your-take-on-the-eden-tone.43546/

4. royd

royd Member

like you, I am a guitar player who took up bass in a serious way about 3-4 years ago. I was determined to become a bass player and not a guitar player playing at bass. It has been a lot of fun.

Be aware that coming from the electric guitar world, amps are different in the bass world. You will run across a bunch of class D amps with high wattage ratings - 300 and up (way) in heads that weigh less than 10 lbs. It is WONDERFUL. In electric guitars, amps are 50% of your sound. In bass, there are two distinct schools of thought. One sees the amp as adding a color to the sound while a more recent school sees things as Blue Talon indicates, the amp is there to make your bass louder, not to color it so there isn't much of a "signature sound." The new technologies and designs in both amplifiers and speakers allow this. The old sound you reference represents a time when bass amps did color things and the speakers really couldn't reproduce a full range signal well.

I'm not real familiar with the Eden amps but my impression is that they reflect the more modern school and try to be as transparent as they can. You should be able to get the tone you want with a bit of work and by the speaker choice you make. I'd look for a 15, perhaps without a tweeter, for that sound, turn down the treble on the amp, put flatwounds on the bass and run with it.

As per Blue Talon, get the highest power rating you can afford, realizing that a 1000 watt bass amp might only weigh 9 lbs.:eek:. That will give you head room and flexibility. Then get the speaker cab that meets your needs. If you want/need a bit of grind, you may need to use an OD as some of the modern amps don't really grind like the old tube amps did... but you can do that. Or, skip the Eden and find an old all tube Portaflex and you've got the sound right there. It just won't be very loud and it will be way heavier.

5. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I would definitely recommend checking out Talkbass. This board is nice but it is usually more guitarists who have picked up bass as a side project than people who's primary instrument is bass. I don't say that trying to discount anyone's opinion here but the general outlook on things is definitely different so you might find it interesting to ask your question on TB.

Eden makes solid gear. As the others have mentioned you can't really point to a recording and say "That's the Eden sound!" like you can with a guitar amp like a Triple Rec, AC30, etc.

6. Nitro3

Nitro3 Active Member

Bass amps are very trendy, Eden's heyday was fifteen years ago. I'd be weiry of resale on a new Eden as a result. Mark Bass is the current hot setup, but it's nearing its end as well.

7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Member

Ideally, you want to buy a bass amp because it is good quality and it meets your needs, not because you want to maximize its resale value.

When you are playing onstage or jamming or practicing, if it sounds good, NOBODY is going to care if the amp is "trendy" or not. (I seriously have never heard the word "trendy" being used of bass amps before.)

Given the OP's situation (needs a bass amp, has a friend with a music store that carries Eden), there is no reason not to go with Eden.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

:agree

The Eden we all loved was from a long time ago.

Look to Markbass, Aguilar, Gallien-Krueger for some great sounding, lightweight gear.

Talkbass is a great resource, but read and learn the truth as it is quite full of opinions that may, or may not, steer you in a good direction. We all have our favorite stuff we like to push onto others (no different than guitarists), but in the end it is important to help YOU get what works best for YOU. :aok

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Search youtube for Tribal Tech era Gary Willis; he used an Eden WT800 with a 2-10 cabinet under a 4-10 cabinet.

10. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I had an Eden E300T, their all tube head from a few years ago. It sounded great and was reliable.

11. jcs

jcs Member

Many prefer the Minneapolis built Eden...like my 1997 David Eden Metro 2x10 combo.

I've heard all kinds of varying opinions once they moved to Chicago and then overseas for production.....let alone company buyouts.

That said my 2x10 Metro is absolutely a stellar amp....I had to clean the pots and jacks but all is well now...very warm sound in channel 1 with the tube while channel 2 is all ss with extensive EQ built in.

12. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

No matter what bass amp you decide to go with: this!

13. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Powerful and light is the thing these days, for gigging bassists.

I think advice would be more meaningful if we know what the OP's intended use is. Studio, home, gigging...?

14. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

That it is. I have three class D heads to show for it! These days, big and powerful come in small packages for bass players. A common mistake for new bassists is getting a low wattage amp, then finding out it's woefully underpowered when they start gigging out. He's asking about Eden amps, so I assume he's interested in eventual live performance. I could be wrong. If he was interested in home recording, I'd advise him to just get a SansAmp and call it a day.

15. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I wouldn't even fool with a Sansamp for home recording. Plugins are at least as good as the Sansamp nowadays and WAY more versatile. Just run it direct and figure out the tones once you start mixing.

16. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Member

"Big" was perhaps a poor choice of words. I didn't mean physically big and heavy, I meant capacity and capability.

In other words, if the OP is looking at a 300W head, and there happens to be a 500W head that he can almost afford, he would be well served to do what it takes to get the bigger amp. If it means waiting a week or borrowing some money from parents or a friend, so be it. Down the road, he'll be glad he did.

I'm a fan of light bass heads. I don't use heavy amps any more.

17. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

True, but c'mon....you know guitar players don't want to hear about digital modeling. ;)

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Not all of us. I use an SVT CL and at least one Ampeg 810.

Side note. I am a gigging bass player, not a guitar player turned bass player. I am also persona non grata at Talkbass. Eff that place. Buncha whiny 19 year olds playing garbage in their mom's basements. I can count on one hand the people over there who are actually helpful and at least two of them hang here too.

19. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Yeah you can pretty much plug direct into Garageband and you're set in that regard.

My advice would be is to try to grab a lightweight grab and go style head with a built in DI, and pickup a used 4x10 or something on Craigslist for cheap.

20. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

It's true that some folks over at TB enjoy making one feel inferior and stupid before they actually say something helpful, but there are some really good guys/gals over there too.

Lightweight Class D amps with big watts
    ( 500+ ) and a compact 410 cabinet with neodymium magnet speakers is a great place to start on bass. Neo-equipped speakers dramatically reduce the weight of a bass cabinet.
    These days, on bass, it's all about big volume with a smaller rig.

The Eden I know is heavy and modern sounding. Unless they've updated their stuff lately, you're getting on a train that's already left the station.

I gotta take a look at their latest stuff. Maybe they've caught on.

*edit* The WTX500 looks like a decent amp head, but their good cabinets are still way too heavy. I'd look to Fender-yes, Fender! (they've really gotten their act together on the bass front) or Aguilar instead.