Eden Analog effects

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ascension, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Ascension

Ascension Member

I stumbled on to these today. I got wind of a new shop opening in my area and went to check them out today. Turns out the owner was an old friend and is also the owner of Eden. He gave me a Cold Compress compressor to try for a few days and a tour of the manufacturing.
    Bottom line the Cold Compress is flat blowing me away and he is NOT getting this thing back :hide!!
    The Chorus I tried the SYNC3 is also a killer. These are first rate effects built like a tank and sound INCREDABLE!
    I understand he got a lot of dealer intrest in these at NAMM this year. After playing with the compressor all day I can see why!!
    Check um out here http://www.edenanalogeffects.com/Effects.html

2. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive been interested in the Detroit distortion for quite a while, I even started a thread asking questions a while ago but nobody had any experience with it.
    Sounds great on their sight.

3. Ascension

Ascension Member

I played the Detroit yesterday and was quite impressed with it. I am using a trio of Fender Prosonics so more crunch is the LAST thing I needed LOL.
    The Detroit was not a buzz saw metal pedal but an agressive edgie hard overdrive. Personally I liked the Austin the best of the three OD's but that is just my taste. All the Eden stuff I played was quite impressive and all felt "real".
    It was a shock yesterday to find out Chris the owner was doing these. I know him as another fellow Mega Church P/W guitarist and from him working at another dealer a couple of years ago. I haven't seen him in a couple of years and had no idea he was doing anything like this.
    Chris is a solid honest guy and all the stuff looks and sounds great. The quality of the components I saw was first class and the layout of the boards is super clean!! I have a background in electronics and the attention to detail on the tec end got my attention.
    I will buy this Compressor from him today and am looking HARD at his SYNC3 Chorus also. I have been using a pair of Boss CS-3's with the Monti Allums Opto mod but the Cold Compress just feels better and more natural.
    On the Chorus I am now using the Deep Blue Rocktrons they sound great but are noisy in the bypass mode. After yesterday the true bypass feature and tones of the SYNC3 sure has my attention.

4. Ascension

Ascension Member

I went back and listened to the clips on the site and that is pretty represenitive of what I heard yesterdayfrom the Detroit. I was playing a new Hamer import with P-90's into a Black Pearl.

5. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Hey Ascension (cool name by the way)

What are your thoughts on the Nashville pedal (if you tried that one?) I can't find any info on it except on the Telecaster forum. I also use a Monte Allums Opto Mod CS-3 so thanks for your opinion on the Cold Compress.

I assume the Austin OD is like a Tubescreamer? The sound clips on the website sound really good but I wish someone would demo these pedals and walk you through the whole range of tones.

:munch

6. Ascension

Ascension Member

The Nashville pedal was a light overdrive/boost. It was more a good solid boost just giving the tone some hair and sustain at higher settings.
    The Austin was more like the Boss BD-2 with the Allums H2O kit than a Tubescreamer variant if you are familar with Monti Allums stuff. I frankly don't like the feel of a TubeScreamer type OD. To me they don't feel "real". The Austin feels much more like a real tube amp does in overdrive.
    I can't put my finger on the difference in the Cold Compress and the Allums Opto. The Cold Compress just blooms differently after the note is struck it feels more natural and has more of a singing quality. Really transparent and it just feels "right". The blasted thing has got me totally captivated and I really was prepared to just try it for a day or so and give it back to Chris ---:crazy that's not gonna happen as now I gotta have this thing!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  7. Ascension

Ascension Member

Went back to GuitarFX and spent some time with all the pedals today. Here is a review of all three Eden OD's.
    Nashville - Sweet and with a lot more gain than I origionaly thought. Can be smooth and fat or nice and chimey depending on the EQ. This one makes a great boost at lower gains. Really natural sounding pedal that responds to touch well. This one is my favorite of the bunch. The Nashville is the loudest of the 3 OD's in overall volume.
    Austin - SMOOTH and fatter than the Nashville with a little more compression and gain. Really Really nice real sounding dirt box.
    Detroit- Pretty rude, in your face, and compressed. This one was also noticably lower in overall volume compared to the Austin and Nashville. Great pedal but just not what I was looking for.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. TFR

TFR Member

I picked up an older (probably first run -- painted with clear sticker but no boot) used Nashville. Works well as a boost into an amp that's already cooking or into another dirt pedal. At $75 it was a good buy. I've also tried an Austin and got a good sound out of it but couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a poorly painted box with a clear label. I think they had someone else painting for them then and the results weren't very good. I believe that's why they changed their designs to what they are now.

Edit: Just checked their site again and noticed they switched back to painted boxes. Look much better than their old paint jobs.

9. Lynniegk

Lynniegk Member

I am looking for a Nashville overdrive to buy. It looks like they are backordered at the major retailers, so if anyone has a used pedal that needs a new home, let me know!