Edenhaus Strat necks

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tonehoney, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

I just bought a beautiful, chunky Strat neck by Edenhaus on e-bay and when I bolt it to the Fender SRV body I own, there is a gap between the butt of the neck and the body of about 1/4" (estimated). It looks like the neck is shorter in the neck pocket than a standard Fender-sized neck and the pictures on the Edenhaus website seem to show that their neck pockets are shorter than standard.

Does anyone know what's up with this?

I've e-mailed Bernie @ Edenhaus but have not heard back yet.

2. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

Does anybody have a comment even if it's bad news?

3. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

Hey Tonehoney ,
    I was looking into B.Hefner/Edenhaus necks a while ago , and a lot of people told me to beware of that company .
    The MAJORITY of reviews at Harmony Central are bad . People who were unhappy with defects said that the company never made good on replacments or refunds, and just left them hanging.

Hopefully , this guy (Bernie) will do the right thing by you and clean-up his reputation .
    Good Luck ,
    Chris .

4. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'd imagine you are going to have to buy the body as well, a gap of a quarter of an inch isn't the kind of thing that can get fixed.

5. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

John, you're a genius! When I did what you recommended, it solved the problem. Now all I have to do is plug and redrill. Is this something I can do at home or should it be done by a luthier?

Thank you very much,
    Jim

6. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

John,

Does the dowel need to be of a wood like maple to maintain the sonic signature, or does it not matter much?

Also, you seem to like .010-.046 strings on your classics. IS there a reason other than to appeal to the widest number of players? I have been playing .011-.050 for the tone, but I think I lode some of the snap.

7. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

If you use rosewood dowel - the sound will be warmer.
    If you use maple dowel - the sound will be brighter but it will cut through the mix.

Don't use anything else because the sound will be muddy. :D

8. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

I've have an edenhaus tele and had a strat. both are incredible guitars. maybe i was just lucky.

9. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

Hi Sax56,

I've gotten the neck mounted correctly and it feels great and sounds HUGE! I like it more every time I play it and my playing has improved since my Strat now has the sound and feel I wanted.

10. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I have an Edenhaus Strat that is friggin awesome. I was shocked when I saw the reviews on Harmony Central. I got mine used so I never had to deal with the company. thay did the one I have right and it sounds like an old 62 strat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. guitardaddy

guitardaddy Guest

I purchased Sax56's Edenhaus strat (on ebay), and it's great! It's a very lively sounding guitar and a great player. I've sold off a few Tylers, a Callaham and Suhrs since, but I've kept the Edenhaus.

To be fair, I couldn't hang with the body shape and freakshow paint job of the Tyler Studio Elites, I custom ordered the Suhrs with a neck shape I didn't like (my fault) and a friend nagged me into submission to sell him my Callaham.

I've never emailed Edenhaus, but I have called once and found them very freindly and helpful.

12. gnashville

gnashville Supporting Member

I have a ridiculous '52 T relic (courtesy of John Scott @ Bluesman Vintage) with Edenhaus neck and body. I can't stop playing it. The body is under 3.5 lbs and is the HOLY GRAIL of bodies. Resonates for days.

So...I can't say enough good stuff about Bernie's work. It took a while to get the parts, but once they arrived...well, it was worth the wait.

13. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I personally would never use his stuff. I ordered a few necks several years back and could not use any of them. All three had a twist and one was back bowed. Tried to get a refund or new necks but was basically told that I did not know what I was doing and that the necks were fine when they were sent out.

14. BLUESMANVINTAGE

BLUESMANVINTAGE Member

I PERSONALLY USE HIS PARTS ALOT!
    and couldnt be happier with them. he does take care of US builders as a priority because we spend SOOOO much money with him.

HIS bodies are LIGHTWEUGHT, and he always takes care of me when I call.
    He even returns calls If I've called and missed him he will call me back to check and see if I needed anything. thats service!!

15. BLUESMANVINTAGE

BLUESMANVINTAGE Member

who are you using for parts?

16. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Search K-Line Bro......pretty sure All-Parts and USACG necks........

you will see lots and lots and lots of positive reviews and utterly cool and not over done or hokey aged guitars.......good stuff and they don't have that nasty stained gas station bath room sink look.