Edge Fans: New Year's Day

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lolaviola, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Whenever I hear this song, I am amazed by the guitar. The percussive dry clanking stringy tone is unbeatable. Then ther is the solo! Oh, Mama!

How do you think it was in the studio? On the recording?

How do you go for that sound? It's the best.

And This Thread is Worthless Without Pigs!

2. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

I agree!

[​IMG]

3. moaningrooster

moaningrooster Member

4. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

Yeah it's a terrific song. All I know is that around this time, Edge was almost exclusively using AC-30s. That's about all I can chime in on this subject (pun intended). I'd be curious if anyone else has any info specific to this song...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  5. jawajt

jawajt Member

Yup. One of my top five favorite solos of all time.

6. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

A compressor will give that percussive effect - other than that he was just using a Boss SD1, stock Big Muff and Memory Man.

7. jsummersett

jsummersett Member

The 'brilliant' channel of the AC30 is what he's always used and it's instantly recognizable for the percussiveness you're talking about. It's made that way even more by the Les Paul Custom he plays the song with.

8. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Herdim picks is a huge part of his sound. Plucking with the bumpy part of the pick gives you that clicky sound

9. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

No. A compressor smooths things out and adds sustain - the exact opposite of The Edge's sound. The Edge will use a compressor (DynaComp) but only when he's playing slide.

For War, The Edge wanted a drier sound so he backed off a lot on delay and also used Fender amps, as opposed to his usual Vox AC30's. According to this site (probably the best resource for The Edge's delay tricks I've found), 'New Year's Day' uses a 480mS delay with about 4 - 5 repeats. He used his black Strat (I believe it has Seymour Duncan SSL-1 pickups) through either a blackface Fender Twin or Deluxe.

You can hear it here (with on the legendary Live at Red Rocks show:

10. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

And he played piano in between the guitar parts. Jesus...

11. OilsFan

OilsFan Member

I'm glad to see Edge getting so much respect these days. Back when that was happening it was hard to find anybody who listened to them. There were about five kids in my school who knew who they were. Everybody else was a mullet headed Dokken/Ratt/Bon Jovi fan and would be all like "I can't stand that ****ing jingle jangle guitar. That guy never bends a string, he doesn't even know how to play. What a bunch of *******."

12. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Amen! I always have to laugh at the folks that say Mr Evans would be useless without a delay pedal - that change from the playing the piano line into the solo on New Year's Day is something a lot of folks would struggle with I think...

I saw Red Rock concert on The Tube back in 1983-84 - think it was Sunday Bloody Sunday and Gloria they played - I suddenly wanted make that sound! I was only 9 at the time!!

:bow

13. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Just a side observation, whoever put this video up:

1) Cropping it for 16:9 serves no purpose, the framing is all wrong now.

2) Full HD? The video only exists as SD, it can never be HD (unfortunately).

/rant!

14. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

That is such a dry, raw, gritty, nasty guitar tone. And I mean that in a good way.
    Almost no bass: all mids and treble.

Was he boosting/pushing his AC30 with anything? (Boss FET Preamp?)

15. embrionic

embrionic Supporting Member

and sings some powerful backups to boot.

16. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Indeed - his backing vocals on so many songs are really effective and important to the song,and very rarely are they off.

17. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Yeah, Red Rocks is one of my favorite U2 albums.

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

In the Caribbean when i was growing up it was totally different. U2 was and still is huge.

Dokken and Bj where also huge, except everyone who played and instrument hated JBJ.

Sorry to say this, what a POS Bj is. And Tico Torres might be the worst drummer ever.

19. hagbardceline

hagbardceline Member

There are 3 guitar tracks that I hear on the War version. During the solo, there is a heavy delayed guitar panned extreme left that is independent of the actual solo track. The solo track itself sounds like a muff thru a fender amp to my ears probably with the delay settings mentioned by Stratburst70.

20. gripweed

gripweed Member

Unfortunately there are way too many guitarist out there who still base their opinion of guitarists upon technical ability and speed. The Edge has a unique identifiable sound that is very musical. How many of the guitarists who criticize him can say that?

Needless to say I've been a fan for a long time.