Edirol PC-80 keyboard -- any experiences with this?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ivers, May 16, 2006.

1. ivers

ivers Member

I wanna get into keyboard playing, and would like something inexpensive that works relatively well, so I'm looking at this product by Edirol. My standards and expectations wouldn't be very high at all, but I hope there's not a history of product failure, or cumbersome, user-unfriendly stuff that would take away the fun, and destroy my motivation. I also like that it's a soundcard as well, as I'm looking for something new in that area too.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/PC-80/index.html

So, could this unit do the job?

2. ivers

ivers Member

Hm, I read some reviews on HC about key failures in Edirol keyboards, so.. I guess other suggestions are welcome, lol. It doesn't have to be a soundcard, it can be a synth, an electric piano, heck even a nice master keyboard can be of use, if it works with Reason.
    I just need something decent, and not very expensive, to get me going with playing the piano... (a real piano is unfortunately out of the question!) anyone?

Thanks.

3. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I have the PCR-50. Never had a problem with it. Works perfect with Reason, and while I have no idea how to actually play, it is quite sensitive and theres some very cool piano sounds out there in Reason format. The newer ones have a lot more doodads, but I dont even know how to use all the features on the one I have!

If i get my ass into gear and actually start learning the piano, it will be all I need I'm sure.:AOK

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I have the PCR-30 and have no complaints.

5. ivers

ivers Member

Thanks, glad to hear some contrasting opinions to the negative ones on HC. I guess it makes sense that on a product like this you're more likely to bother about writing a review if something fails, because if everything works, it's probably not as exciting (and interesting subject for a review) as a good guitar, amp or a higher end synth.