Edirol R-09 recorder

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by fatback, May 16, 2006.

1. fatback

fatback Member

2. e-z

e-z Member

I'm planning on getting one. The R-01 has some effects and things that I don't need. I'm just looking for something to capture ideas on the spur of the moment. I like that it has a built in mic and I don't expect it to sound like ProTools HD. I also plan to use it at work for taking notes that I can transcribe later. That's how I'm going to justify it to myself.:)

3. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

+1

The effects on the R-01 don't thrill me. It'll replace a microcassette recorder I use now to capture song ideas. I'll also be attending a number of concerts this Summer. :D

Cheers,
    McE

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've considered it too... but it is kinda expensive.

5. kselbee

kselbee Member

Well, I broke down and ordered it today. :)

6. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

Cool indeed ... please keep us updated.

7. gman

gman Member

8. apd

apd Member

If you want some serious information on both the Edirol and Microtrack products, head on over to http://www.taperssection.com and register to use the forums. The site is mainly for people who record live gigs. There are all sorts of problems with the software on the microtrack that are slowly being fixed by M-Audio. Even though the R-09 is new there is still a lot of info there. Plan on spending hours on that site if you really want to buy on eof them.

*corrected the link, thanks Carlier. i need to stop posting so late at night

9. Carlier

Carlier Member

Thanks for the link: it does need a double 's' in the middle though, because the current link takes you to a site about candles and breast enlargement, a dubious combo.:AOK

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

JMO, but I'd much rather deal with this:

[​IMG]

...than this:

[​IMG]

How do you like those itty-bitty "meters?" You're going to have to make good friends with that "menu" button and those directional arrows, cuz you're going to be clicking and scrolling through screen after trying to figure out what the f*ck is going on.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Roland.

Forget trying to comprehend the manual, forget customer support, forget bug fixes.

Get the M-Audio. Really. You'll thank me. It ain't perfect, but it sure ain't Roland.

11. e-z

e-z Member

Well I had already ordered it and it arrived today. There are only a few menus and most of them involve set up. I was able to start recording within five minutes of opening the box. The manual is pretty clear also.
    I've heard similar comments about other Roland products but this one seems to be quite user friendly.

I did a quick voice record test with the built-in mic and it sounded great through headphones. I then plugged in the USB cable to my computer (Mac) and it showed up as a drive on the desktop in two seconds. I opened the disk and there were the audio files which I then copied onto the computer. They played back fine although Soundtrack Pro was the app they opened in even though I recorded an MP3.

This is not going to replace anybody's Pro Tools HD rig but as a musical sketch pad and idea recorder this thing appears to be top notch. I'll post an update when I've had more time with it.

ez

12. fatback

fatback Member

thanks for the post.

i guess mine should be here any day...

13. erksin

erksin Member

What do these things cost roughly?

Seems like a very cool tool...

14. gman

gman Member

Look forward to hear what you guys think about the Edirols. Hope they work out for ya.

15. e-z

e-z Member

It's $400 from Musician's Friend with free shipping and no tax.

16. PaulM

PaulM Member

I'm hoping to get this as a "song ideas while driving in the car and staying in hotel rooms with an acoustic guitar" device. Can you record a series of files as separate song ideas and go back to each one of them later and add to each file?

Right now I use a cassette recorder and it has obvious limitations

17. e-z

e-z Member

As far as I can tell, after a total of one hour using the thing, you can't overdub or add to a file. You can have different folders in it to organize things better.

18. PaulM

PaulM Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if protools will let you import the files that the Edirol records in?

19. e-z

e-z Member

The files are WAV or MP3 so Pro Tools should work no problem. I'll know more in a week or two.

20. KLB

KLB Member

What's the WORD from those of you who bought the R-09?