Edit: Fender to phase out ash in standard line guitar bodies, possibly will continue in Custom Shop

Arcadia

Silver Supporting Member
The earth will be here long after humans have depleted the resources they need to survive. The earth has outlasted many a species. My bet is humans are extinct before earth is smashed to bits by asteroids or sucked into a dying sun.
Or wiped out by a virus? Too soon?

gigsup

Human activity might have brought the EAB to the U.S., but good luck getting that toothpaste back in the tube with more human activity.
Right, and you certainly can't hold the guitar buying public to the fire, as if they had anything to do with a problem that didn't even exist when they purchased their instruments.

What rubs me the wrong way is Fender taking the opportunity to state:
"In order to uphold our legacy of consistency and high quality we, at Fender, have made the decision to remove Ash from the majority of our regular production models. What little Ash we are able to source will continue to be made available in select, historically appropriate vintage models, as supplies are available."

Not "We are concerned about the state of our natural resources and the effect on our industry, as well as our customers"
Not "We acknowledge our legacy has depended upon these tree species, and we are concerned and acting for their protection and preservation"

So, you can get a 'historically appropriate vintage' guitar model, with all the tone you would expect, from a company that is completely TONE DEAF.

We can have some more
Nature is a whore

erikzen

Looks like you’re part of the problem ;)
Perhaps, but I was ignorant of the issue when it was purchased in 1991 and that has been my entire ash consumption in the ensuing 29 years.

Now that I'm educated on the issue, I must cherish this guitar lest the ash tree from which it came was felled in vain. I must prevent it from falling into the hands of others that might not recognize its true value.

tea312

On a serious note, ash splits, maple splinters. That's always been my understanding of why you don't see maple baseball bats.

I hope Northern ash isn't also being decimated. Although I have wondered why bats can't be fabricated out of metals designed to have the relevant characteristics of Northern ash.
I am a bit of baseball geek John, so this is a little bit off side track to the thread, but I know there are a lot of baseball nerds here in TGP that will find this valuable.

One of the safety concerns when my son was playing travel ball was safety for other players- so he used an ash bat during tournaments (he prefers ash over the other maple bat that he has). Ash when it breaks, it stays together and the maple on the other hand when it breaks, it “shatters” and flies all over the place. This safety concern is what prompted bat manufacturers and MLB regulated maple wood bats “with the slope of the grain” requirements - “how straight the grain is along the tangential face”. Basically, the quarter sawn face- ones side and the opposite face is where this area was marked or proper orientation of the batter. The straighter the grain, the more durable the bat is. So the manufacturers in order to fully conform, they had to put “ink dots” on the tangential face of the bat. Doing so, the batter can have a reference point of “seeing the slope of the grain” when they are at bat. So basically it looks like a highlighted “circular window with a dot” is marked above the handle (1/3rd distance from the knob or 2/3rd’s distance from the end of the barrel) where the straight grain runs where you should make contact with the ball and not the “dot less side” where it is plain sawn orientation/flat sawn as the bat would break much more.

Before this “ink grading” occurred with wood bats, your reference point as a batter is the face with the marking brands on it is the “flat sawn face”- you would have to rotate it to the unmarked space for the proper quarter sawn/longitudinal grain orientation for proper hitting situation or you look at the knob to see the straightness of the grain so you can line up your bat the proper way.

I read an article by the Washington Post- not sure if it was 2014 or 2015. But, they had a small stat from the MLB Players Association that “70% used maple, 20% ash and 5% birch”. It is interesting how the use of material shifted when ash was the bat of choice. An interesting tidbit to all you baseball nerds- 2019 baseball season with baseball players from the 50-40 home run range used a “maple bat”; Pete Alonso, Mike Trout, Cody Bellinger, Nolan Arenado, Yehlich, Acuna Jr..

Supercubziggy

This totally sucks. I just bought a Swamp Ash JG Select from Suhr and it absolutely kills! I was thinking about another one...

moosie

The Emerald Ash Borer just cost me $2k to have a big, dead ash removed from my property. The tree was healthy just three years ago. Last year it didn't have many leaves, and lately it had entered the "blonding stage", where all the bark starts to shed.

I wanted to have it milled, because I make furniture as a hobby. No good for guitars, as this would be northern ash, the stuff of baseball bat fame. But it would have made a killer dining room set.... or four (big tree). Alas, I don't have a way to mill it, and it would have cost a small fortune to have it done... and I can still get regular 8/4 ash for not that much money. So, I had the guys save me a piece small enough that I could manhandle it through my bandsaw. I'll rough it, and let it air dry in the barn for a few years. Then maybe I'll make a wooden spoon or two.:rotflmao

On the plus side, I took delivery of a super light weight ash body blank last month, just as that other crisis was developing. Gorgeous wood, and maybe not as light as pawlonia, but close. I should be able to build a 6.2 lb Telecaster with it.

I knew there were gonna be issues eventually, but I didn't realize that this might be my last ash build...

rwwear

ain't dat some schydt??

I mean, really.. that's like Rolls Royce saying they're gonna drop the RR engine and use a Ford motor instead...

That's gotta be a hoax... or a belated April fool's day joke..

r
They actually have BMW engines.

bojocatkite

TL;DR: Two reasons Fender is discontinuing Ash according to the article.

1) The Emerald Ash Borer - An introduced, invasive insect species from Asia that has killed tens of millions of Ash trees in North America in the past two decades. American efforts to curb the spread of these pests have been futile, and now North America is bracing for the loss of billions of Ash trees.

2) Flooding due to climate change - Most of Fender's Swamp Ash comes from river islands in the Mississippi Delta. Flooding is common there but global warming is causing these areas to now be underwater 2/3rds of the year, effectively eliminating Southern Ash lumber from the market.
When you look at the list of all those invasive bugs from asia that Globalization had brought us, you know that the American environment will never be the same. They can be invisible to us at first or very visible, like those asian tiger mosquitoes in LA who really changed our everyday life, no more relax time in the backyard anymore, forget the cool outdoor BBQ time with friends, you either get bitten alive with the high risks of virus transmission that come along or cover yourself with dangerous mosquitoes repellent/chemicals.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
What wood that is in your guitar that is 25,000 years old that comes from freshwater? You have any photos and clips of the amazing sounding wood?
The guitar from the lake which is amazing is a lp junior double cutaway clone. The body is the bit from the lake. the neck is plain old mahogany. the pickups are p90 seymour antiquity things. it has big stainless frets, inlay and nitro finish.
No footage exists, and I doubt I will film the thing.
It's fruity sounding, very much so.
If i say a guitar is amazing, it is amazing. if i say a guitar is good, it is just good, if i say a guitar sounds like a piece of garbage, then it sounds like a piece of garbage.
You don't have to believe me, and, based on what I've read in these forums, a few people at least here couldn't tell the difference between this guitar and a shoe if he/she played the guitar and then played the shoe.
Where I come from, others make guitars out of this wood. This wood is shipped all over the world actually, it's called kauri wood.
The sound has a more sophisticated midrange than good old mahogany, yet retains the typical lower end response of mahogany.
The guitar also has plenty of spank, it cost me 700 bucks, I bought it from the luthier who made it. His wife became strangely ill and decided that all the food in the house was being tampered with, frankly, I think he needed the money pretty bad.
You won't find guitars like this from GC, maybe you do, I doubt it.
Posting photos here is not as easy as cut and paste, I am determined not to make this my problem, if i remember, I'll snap an image of it tomorrow and put it in my signature thing where the two stupid unicorns currently reside, .
Thanks for this, never heard of kauri before. Been reading about it a bit, fascinating! Here’s a good link that shows a table build with photos of excavating the massive logs from the ancient bogs. Last photo shows the unique/beautiful wood grain. :cool:

Hope yours is not painted, @Eugene Wallace! :eek: ;)

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/...le-Comes-With-100000-Price-Tag-278009641.html

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Too lazy to read the whole thread, and maybe this has been said, and if so I'm not even gonna pretend I'm sorry.

But there was a blurb from reverb . com on my FB feed today, which they titled "Fender kicks ash."

Trending Topics