EDIT - need a verified and surefire wiring diagram - 2 humbuckers, 2 vol, 1 tone, coil split, toggle

jdel77

Apologies if this is in the wrong section...

I've rewired this guitar twice, last night and tonight, with the same problem.
I've used different wiring harness, Dimarzio 500k pots, Switchcraft toggle and jack, pickups are Duncan JB/Jazz 4 conductor.
2 volumes, one Tone, tone is a push/pull to coil split both pickups.
Everything works fine, except I'm getting weak signal through the neck pickup when the bridge is selected and weak signal through the bridge when the neck is selected.
I haven't strung the guitar up but I'm tapping the slugs/screws with a small screwdriver.
Toggle checks out with a multimeter.

I've put together about 10 partscasters, done innumerable rewires, pickup swaps, modded and built amps, even ran a part-time pedal repair business. This seemingly simple wiring job is doing my head in!

This wiring diagram has to be verified, right?

jdel77

Good point but I always wind the pots down to zero when soldering grounds to the cases.
And either pickup works as they're meant to, but so does the unselected pickup. Utterly bizarre.

HERSCHEL

Silver Supporting Member
Also check your grounds. An off ground connection can seem like a switch issue. I have a partscaster with a four-way that's sometimes a two-way until I clean up the grounds, especially between the pickups.

Glitch Magnet

I'd want to be sure that getting a noise touching the pole piece with a metal screwdriver equates to actual signal leakage. Doing that creates a pretty significant spike, that could be sneaking through the ground, or even though the air. Could be the hot pickup is just picking up that electromechanical disturbance nearby. I'm just hypothesizing. Just not sure you really have a problem.

jdel77

I'd want to be sure that getting a noise touching the pole piece with a metal screwdriver equates to actual signal leakage. Doing that creates a pretty significant spike, that could be sneaking through the ground, or even though the air. Could be the hot pickup is just picking up that electromechanical disturbance nearby. I'm just hypothesizing. Just not sure you really have a problem.

I did think this and tried tapping on the pickups of my Les Paul Custom as well.
There's zero sound coming through when I tap on the unselected pickup.
I think there's something up with that wiring diagram, as crazy as it sounds.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom