• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

*EDIT* Sell Boogie Mark III for a JCM 800 2204 or 2550??

Neptical

*EDIT*

Avid Marshall fan but still really like my Boogie Mark III heads ( red and purple stripes ). Lots of sentimental value but sometimes you just have to move on. Always wanted a JCM 800 and came across a 2205 that's tempting for a good price. I have an SLX 900 2500, a DSL 50, and DSL 100 heads. I absolutely love 50 watt Marshalls!

***Now - as you folks have helped out so far ( thank you very much), I'm curious on the 2204 vs 2550 debate as this will be next decision.***

Maybe you guys can help me make a decision. Is it worth it to drop a cream tolex Mark III Simulclass GEQ ( possibly my purple stripe) to get the *edit*.....2204 or 2550?

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
Well, one amp has a very easy to dial in, instantly recognizable tone and one is a jack of all trades. I guess it all comes down to what you are after.

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
If you have two Mark iii amps and can get into a Marshall you dig, do it. I love my Mark III but it doesn’t do Marshall. In the ballpark, yes-maybe in rhythm two depending on how you have eq and volume 1 set, but the clean and lead modes will most likely be compromised. I have no experience with a 2205, but I do like my SC20H.

Fulldrive-1

The Mesa is a woman of many different moods, impossible to tame, changeable as the Texas weather; no matter which buttons you push, she never gives you what you really want. You spend your time trying to fathom her, entice her, manipulate her. You're ever frustrated.

The Marshall is that girl you mesh with instantly and forever.

It's your life. Choose wisely.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
The Mesa is a woman of many different moods, impossible to tame, changeable as the Texas weather; no matter which buttons you push, she never gives you what you really want. You spend your time trying to fathom her, entice her, manipulate her. You're ever frustrated.

The Marshall is that girl you mesh with instantly and forever.
a good marshall is, not a channel-switching 800

the 2205 is a one night stand that you try to turn into a relationship even though you know it's a mistake

NashSG

Guitarist in my group switched over to using a JCM800 over his Mark IIB for a couple of years and while it did not sound bad, it sounded thinner by comparison using same guitar, pedal setup and cabs. Can't remember the number, but it was not a channel switching JCM800.

One reporters opinion...

Ultra GP

I wouldn't. I've got the same Marshalls and a 2210 (the 100 watt version of the 2205) and I'm probably going to put it up for sale soon. It's a nice sounding amp, but not on the same level as the others.

That said, I know they varied depending on the year, and I did have a 1989 2205 which is one of the few amps I wish I still had.

I'd keep the Mesas for a bit of variety, but the next Marshall I'd add if I were you would be a 2203 or 2204.

ProfRhino

yuck - the Mark is so much more amp, especially in your configuration ...
sell the 3 average (sorry) Marshalls you have, and get a 1987 and 2204 instead - that would be a real upgrade ! :cool:
if necessary add a few bills on top ...

JCM800 is a visual design era most of all, not a particular circuit or even a quality seal ...
most circuits were the same as late '70s JMPs. :dunno

the 2205 in particular sounds mighty bland and generic compared to a 1987 or 2204.
yes, I know a few celebrities played them. Doesn't make them better in AB ...

ymmv,
Rhino

AlisterHag

If I had a Mark III, I wouldn't trade for a 2205, probably wait till I had the money to blow.

That said, I've had 2210's and a 2205 and have always liked them. In fact, one of the 2210's I had was so ugly and beat up, but had one of the best ripping overdrive tones I've ever had.

Trending Topics