• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

*EDIT* Sell Boogie Mark III for a JCM 800 2204 or 2550??

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Why all the h8 for 2205s? They are great amps and more versatile than other 800s, and don't require the same volume to give up the goods.

I suspect the haters never owned one.

I've had lots of experience with both the 2204 and 2205 so here's the breakdown:

2204: Pros: does classic Marshall tones very well. Slightly more 'organic' touch and sound. Cons: if you want higher gain levels, needs to be LOUD or use a pedal, one channel so if you want cleaner tones, learn to use your attack and you volume knob.

2205: These get a bad rap due to the presence of a diode clipping circuit, which is a stupid attitude. Why? Most of the gain here is real tube gain, the diodes kick in after a certain point but what they do is smooth and compress. The silver jubilee gets pretty much all its clipping from diodes, on the other hand, and diode clipping is part of the Jose mods, Cameron, etc etc. You see nice comments RE ceriatone Yetti, 3rd power, etc which also use clipping diodes. So get over it!

PROS: 2 channels, doesn't need ear shattering volume for serious gain levels, easily coaxed to infinite sustain at moderate volumes thanks to the diodes, very active tone stack that can do a range of tones no other Marshall ever could, from thrash to a mountain of mids.

CONS: Less organic and more 'chewy', compressed, forgiving feel (this may not be a con to some), not as good at older marshall tones, sounds 80s modern.

Note: tone stack does NOT dial like a 2204. Keep the treble very low. Midrange throw is Huge. The channel volume is really a second gain pot, if you want max gain crank both gain and gain channel volume, back off the master. IF you haven't spent time with them and don't know this, you probably wont like it.

So back in the 80s & 90s when I was using 2204 and 2205 I could have at any time got rid of the 2205 for a Mark. Did hours of comparison a few times, there are great things about the Mark's, but they just didn't have that sound, for me.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Dont let nattering nabobs on the net tell you what you want. Put the amps side by side, listen, compare.

Hefalump

I wouldn't. I've got the same Marshalls and a 2210 (the 100 watt version of the 2205) and I'm probably going to put it up for sale soon. It's a nice sounding amp, but not on the same level as the others.

That said, I know they varied depending on the year, and I did have a 1989 2205 which is one of the few amps I wish I still had.

I'd keep the Mesas for a bit of variety, but the next Marshall I'd add if I were you would be a 2203 or 2204.
Yes. Everyone needs a 2203 or 2204.

Neptical

Folks - this wasn't a trade. This was simply selling one to fund the other! Haha. Y'all have convinced me to keep the Boogie and I figured you would anyways. That's good, I have too much time invested in my Boogie camp. There's no comparison to Simulclass anyways! :)

@ProfRhino You crack me up man. Haha. You're gonna have to know that there is also an abundance of old Marshall 3210 Mosfets in front of me and they're very much a favorite of mine. Through my 2x12 EVM 12Ls half back cab, they're sweet and creamy like no one's business!

LCW

Silver Supporting Member
OP are you insane? 2205 is down there with Valvestates...

However if you MUST sell you Mark III red stripe... I'll take it off your for hmmmm... say 500? ;) lol

Neptical

OP are you insane? 2205 is down there with Valvestates...

However if you MUST sell you Mark III red stripe... I'll take it off your for hmmmm... say 500? ;) lol
Really? LOL. I'm a huge fan of the 3210s since I have a big batch of them in the 'cave'. I will definitely not be getting rid of my red stripe. That amp has a zest to it that's hard to explain unless played. My purple is more relaxed and soft but can hang with any of them.

ProfRhino

@ProfRhino You crack me up man. Haha. You're gonna have to know that there is also an abundance of old Marshall 3210 Mosfets in front of me and they're very much a favorite of mine. Through my 2x12 EVM 12Ls half back cab, they're sweet and creamy like no one's business!
maybe ...
but do you have a 2204, or even better, a 1987, next to them to compare ?
I gigged the 2205 combo version (4210, iirc) for about a year, so I'm very familiar with these beasts.
and it was a better example, without the notorious channel bleed. :dunno
bland, stiff clean channel, generic Marshall drive that falls apart once you roll down your guitar controls. An SL Drive into a Maz does better ...
it's not about tube vs solid state, it's about well done vs meh. :rolleyes:
and about volume - why do we even discuss this anymore ?
this ship has sailed for years now, fully reactive ! :p

lol,
Rhino

and I had one of those 3210s, and also a hybrid (don't recall the number) in the 80s for a few weeks each, couldn't unload them fast enough. They didn't have a chance in hell, I was playing Mark IIs at that time, and was simply curious about adding a Marshall on the cheap - didn't work out ...

Neptical

maybe ...
but do you have a 2204, or even better, a 1987, next to them to compare ?
I gigged the 2205 combo version (4210, iirc) for about a year, so I'm very familiar with these beasts.
and it was a better example, without the notorious channel bleed. :dunno
bland, stiff clean channel, generic Marshall drive that falls apart once you roll down your guitar controls. An SL Drive into a Maz does better ...
it's not about tube vs solid state, it's about well done vs meh. :rolleyes:
and about volume - why do we even discuss this anymore ?
this ship has sailed for years now, fully reactive ! :p

lol,
Rhino

and I had one of those 3210s, and also a hybrid (don't recall the number) in the 80s for a few weeks each, couldn't unload them fast enough. They didn't have a chance in hell, I was playing Mark IIs at that time, and was simply curious about adding a Marshall on the cheap - didn't work out ...
You're correct, I have nothing to compare my JCM 900 SLX 2500, JCM 2000 DSL50, JCM 2000 DSL 100, 3315, and 3310s, and my Mark IIIs ( all heads) to nothing but each other...for now. :)

I really dig all the tonal varieties I can get through all those amps through my different cabs. The way I use them and have them set up sound fantastic with low and high volume. I guess I'm just a fella who digs the amps for what they are, and what I hear with my ears rather than what's inside the box.

ProfRhino

You're correct, I have nothing to compare my JCM 900 SLX 2500, JCM 2000 DSL50, JCM 2000 DSL 100, 3315, and 3310s, and my Mark IIIs ( all heads) to nothing but each other...for now. :)

I really dig all the tonal varieties I can get through all those amps through my different cabs. The way I use them and have them set up sound fantastic with low and high volume. I guess I'm just a fella who digs the amps for what they are, and what I hear with my ears rather than what's inside the box.
lol, doesn't rule out some new findings ...
ime, you might be in for a gamechanging experience ! :omg
but ymmv,
Rhino

Marshall_SLX

Ide say no... ive also considered getting a 2205/10... but like you i have an SLX and owned a DSL 2000 for 10 yrs (swapped it for a 6100LM)... 2205/10 have diode clipping (pretty sure)... theyre meant to be a higher gain 2203... but an SLX does high gain better and a DSL green crunch is as close as it comes to an actual 2203 classic Marshall tone... they are more collectable (than the other marshalls mentioned) though so thats something... mkiii ide say is more collectable than a 2205... in reference to diode clipping if playing thrash then yea its great (pretty sure Anthrax used 2210's for a while)... classic SLP and 2203 tones probs not.

Last edited:
I'm not informed enough to understand why folks dislike the 2205. Throw me the info y'all!
the Md. 2205 was the first major deviation from the basic circuit that made the Marshall name big. That is, the preamp in the 2205 has nothing in common with the earlier amps. If one likes what it does, then they should play the amp. Fwiwand imho, your Md. 2500 is a Marshall ina classic sense. For my purposes, it is the only Marshall you have that would interest me....but that is a subjective assessment.
as always

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
IMHO, the 2210/2205 has the diodes in the gain circuit, AND doesn't have enough gain. So, you need more "diodes" from a pedal = tons of diodes! The simpler 2203/2204 has an all tube signal path, and has the touch sensitivity, and cleans up with the guitar volume. Win-win.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
think of your DSLs as the successful version of what the 2205 was attempting, so no point in the 2205.

assuming a non-master volume marshall isn't in the wheelhouse, if you want a great marshall that's actually different from all the stuff you have now look for a 2203 or 2204, preferably a "vertical input" version.

that'll have an open, "natural" crunch that's a real departure from all these others, a very different feel. (it also wants darker, less efficient speakers like greenbacks or especially the G12-65, the speaker made for those amps. they can get sizzly through loud efficient speakers like V30s.)

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Why all the h8 for 2205s? They are great amps and more versatile than other 800s, and don't require the same volume to give up the goods.

I suspect the haters never owned one.

I've had lots of experience with both the 2204 and 2205 so here's the breakdown:

2204: Pros: does classic Marshall tones very well. Slightly more 'organic' touch and sound. Cons: if you want higher gain levels, needs to be LOUD or use a pedal, one channel so if you want cleaner tones, learn to use your attack and you volume knob.

2205: These get a bad rap due to the presence of a diode clipping circuit, which is a stupid attitude. Why? Most of the gain here is real tube gain, the diodes kick in after a certain point but what they do is smooth and compress. The silver jubilee gets pretty much all its clipping from diodes, on the other hand, and diode clipping is part of the Jose mods, Cameron, etc etc. You see nice comments RE ceriatone Yetti, 3rd power, etc which also use clipping diodes. So get over it!

PROS: 2 channels, doesn't need ear shattering volume for serious gain levels, easily coaxed to infinite sustain at moderate volumes thanks to the diodes, very active tone stack that can do a range of tones no other Marshall ever could, from thrash to a mountain of mids.

CONS: Less organic and more 'chewy', compressed, forgiving feel (this may not be a con to some), not as good at older marshall tones, sounds 80s modern.

Note: tone stack does NOT dial like a 2204. Keep the treble very low. Midrange throw is Huge. The channel volume is really a second gain pot, if you want max gain crank both gain and gain channel volume, back off the master. IF you haven't spent time with them and don't know this, you probably wont like it.

So back in the 80s & 90s when I was using 2204 and 2205 I could have at any time got rid of the 2205 for a Mark. Did hours of comparison a few times, there are great things about the Mark's, but they just didn't have that sound, for me.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Dont let nattering nabobs on the net tell you what you want. Put the amps side by side, listen, compare.
Agreed. It's the same internet clique that has to inform you about how bad the 900's are. Blah blah blah. Both are great amps.

Trending Topics