edt is growning on me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snoggin, Jun 18, 2008.

1. snoggin

snoggin Member

I have a couple of / 13 combos I picked up recently.. a cj11 and an edt 13/29.. I like the cj alot and used it a t a low volume gigt and it was perfect..

I started to use the edt the other night praticing by myself and usd it at band rehearsal last night and it definitley has some things going on for it.. I have a small pedal board with an xotic bb+ and a boss dd somehting or other delay and a mini deja vibe. I ust the bb with minimal amounts of gain on the dials but it puts a nice crunch on and then I hit the other side of it to boost for solos.

I usually run with my delay on a bit for extra fat since I'm in a trio but I really didnt feel the need and so I used it a bit more aggressively when in boost mode for solos and got into kinda of a david gilmore realm of sound. REALLY fat. The EDT is one loud mofo also.. I literallly ran it at 2 in a/b mode and I was louder than I needed with drums and bass in a smallish room especially with the second boost engaged.

The bass player kept saying.... In case you didnt hear me , I REALLLLLY like that amp . I have a lot of amps and have been using a vht sig x and a budda sd 18 also and the edt has something different to offer.. the budda tends to be a bit dark. while the edt just sparkles and the tones rip thru.. I like the budda a bunch too but am going to try the edt for a bit and explore it further. It seems to maintain a great amount of clarity but I am able to get some really raunchy tones out of it.. We wer doing some stones tunes and I frelt like mick and keef all in one..

I'm a monkayyyyyyyyyy baaaaabe.. I feel I am getting closer to haveing a kind of distinctive sound to my playing which is pretty exciting and the edt is for sure inspiring:dude

2. stu42

stu42 Member

Sounds cool. How does the push/pull mid/gain boost change the tone of the amp?

I played an EDT back-to-back with a CJ11 last week and I found them both to be great amps. It's so hard to pick one over the other because they're somewhat different and they each have their attractions. However, I do think that the CJ11 would probably have more use for me because of its master volume.

Does the EDT gain/mid boost make it somewhat more like a CJ11?

Thanks.

3. teleking36

teleking36 Member

With the mid-gain boost engaged, and the volume up past noon, the amp turns into a crazed machine. seriously, i've got to get a clip up of the amp when it's really cooking. i did a clip with some clean stuff, but it really shines when you push the volume. the edt definitely has unique overdrive characteristcs that i don't think are comparable to the CJ11.

4. snoggin

snoggin Member

So far I really like them both. I am playing around with tube swapping a bit with them too.. I just was playing the cj11 today after teh edt all last nght and it really is a cool amp too. better suited to most ower volume gigs because of the master and still maintains that clarity even when pushed.. I am getting a lot of drive from a bb plus preamp pedal though .. It freaking rocks and has a bit brighter sound ( both edt and cj) than the budda sd18 which i also use but tends to be a bit dark.

I do like the mid boost when playing clean but dont realy need it when using the bb+.

The EDT is very loud low on the dial and the rehearsal in the huge room got canceled so I couldnt open it up.. We ended up using the smaller space. All the /13's have had that how should i say jen cei quois (sic) I type in frenc h even worste than english lol

5. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I run my EDT on 29w mode, mid boost pulled, and vol at noon when I play live. I'm using the 2x12F open back cab with a V30 and a blue. Heaven!

6. snoggin

snoggin Member

Well ,, interestingly I was using the cj11 in rehearsal with the trio last night and after awhile i decided it doesnt cut nearly as well as the edt. I say that because I would have its apparent volume up fairly high yet when the drums and bass were going we all had issues with it not being distinctly audible. Turning up the master did make it louder but not more distinct.

Switched over to the edt and what a difference. its funny but its not just a volume thing.. Ont the other hand I was really liking the tone out of the cj11. It was rocking hard

7. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

8. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

The EDT is just amazing! It's my favorite D13.

9. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

There are so many killer tones in this amp. I can hear Fender,Vox and Marshall tones depending on how it's dialed in. The Mid boost function is a great feature. Loves pedals too. My favorites so far have been the V.3 OCD, the Lovekraft Mojovibe and the Lovepedal COT 50 especially when the amp is cranked. Great amp. I'd love to hear it with a Les Paul. (I'm using a strat right now)

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

What does EDT stand for? [I find his amp model names VERY confusing]...espiecally if you don't know, or care who the guy is it's named for..

11. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

From the D13 website:

When asked:
    My (Evan D. Taubenfeld speaking) younger brother is graduating from college (Berklee) and i want to get him a 1x12 combo from your line of stuff. I'm thinking your SJT 10/20 but he is a jazz/blues with an edge type of player and i think he may need a little more clean headroom and then maybe the potential of getting more aggressive at lower levels as well. Can you make him something more like in the 30 watt range that can go to a half power mode more like a late fifties tweed like amp for smaller duties?
    WHY NOT?!
    We start with the basic SJT 10/20 format and first change the entire back end of the amplifier, both the circuit and the output iron and choke to accommodate using a pair of KT 66s, and KT 66s specifically because they produce a really nice American amp style of clean with more of a glassy/shimmery type of high end and when driven a more creamier, content rich type of overdrive not able to be produced by a standard 6L6GC type of tube. Next make a power tranformer, that when tube rectified, produces the precise amount of B+ voltage to achieve 30 watt approximately with a pair of KT 66's in a Class AB1 mode and in a Class A mode take the current draw necessary to support that mode as well. We keep the reverb and dampening switch and the speaker of choice is a Celestion Vintage 30 chosen for both the sound it produces and it's power handling capabilities.
    What you get at the end of the rainbow is one of Divided by 13 most versitile amplifiers to date. With almost unlimited capabilities it captures a perfect merger of classic American and British cleans to overdriven tones and voicings and all in a relatively small and portable 30 watt 1x12 combo again inspired by a player (thanks Evan) that is asking us to take him where he wants to go.

12. The Kid

The Kid Member

I have an EDT 13/29 Combo with a Scumback H75 LDHC in it and run a /13 1X12 Ext Cab with a Scumnico in it. It sounds incredible.

I mostly play in 29 watt mode because I need the headroom for my r&b gigs. I do use the 13 watt mode when I need more growl on blues gigs and some reggae gigs.

It's killer with P90's, Humbuckers, and Single Coils and takes pedals well. That said I can gig that amp without pedals on gigs when I don't need a ton of flavors.

The amp feels a lot bigger than 29 watts. I love it.

13. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

It's definitely my all time favorite amp. Opened all the way up it's tone is the most heavenly sound I've ever heard. Makes a single coil sound almost like a bucker too, the drive is so warm and phat!!! It's just that it likes to be run wide open all the time and it is LOUD for a small club. On a professional stage like it was designed for, I think it's the greatest amp in existence... Round cleans like a Fender, Chimey like Vox overdrives like a Marshall, growls like a tweed, but all it's own thing at the same time. Isn't that what most of us want? All the goods from all the great amps bundled into one?

14. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Avril Lavigne's live guitar player from way back... :facepalm

15. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

With GEC KT66's, the tone is just amazing.