educate me on 5150 cabs, please

DrZero

I've got an opportunity to get a used Peavy 5150 slant cab for $260. It looks in good shape, it's been used but nothing is obviously bashed-in or anything. I'm going back to play it next week, see how it sounds.

My current and only 4x12 is an Orange straight cab, and it's very heavy (over 100lbs) and a bit too nice to gig with. (Something about that fancy basketweave grill and orange tolex, it's mint and I don't want to mess it up)

So, I guess this would be a "beater" but I want it to sound good. I also want to try a slant cab, I'm thinking I'll like the greater dispersion and having a couple speakers pointed at me.

For heads I'll be using it with my Orange AD-140, Marshall 2204 and my soon-to-be-acquired Soldano Avenger.

Can anyone tell me generic stuff about these cabs - what to look for, what to avoid, or whether it's not worth getting at all. It looks pretty well built, but definitely feels lighter & smaller than my Orange.

The owner is willing to unscrew it so I can see the construction. I'm assuming it's an all-ply cab. I could not ID the speakers through the grill (I'm not a speaker wizard).

Thanks in advance.

DrZero

Did i post this in the place or title it poorly or something? If so, my apologies. Would still love to get feedback from people who know more about these.
Thanks!

Ive played through them a few times and had friends that owned them...

They are ok. They sound decent under a mic. Construction is on par with standard Marshall 1960 cabs.

I do think you can do better on the used market. Used Marshall 1960 cabs are 300-400 all day and come with celestions. Older used Randall cabinets are good bang for the buck. Even the old Peavey VTM cabs came with the earlier version of the celestion K-100 speaker which is a favorite of mine.

So, imo its not a horrible cabinet, just bested by some other stuff that would cost about the same.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a few of them over the years. Good cab, maybe not great, but a good, solid, well built cab. I thought the speakers were OK. If I ever got another one, I'd probably switch them out. Overall, IMO they're a decent cab and at a decent price.

Vanyu

IIRC, they are heavy little bricks of a cab, considerably heavier than a Marshall, if weight is an issue. Construction is solid, speakers could definitely be better. Used Marshall 1960's can be had for a similar price. If you slapped a $250 price tag on both cabs side by side, I'd take the Marshall. The 1960 cabs really are tough to beat. They're lighter, sound better, and are more easy to come across, should you get the itch for a second cab.

ungarn

Good cabs. I found Sheffield speakers to sound really good if played with considerable volume. That pop up on my local craigslist for $200 from time to time.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure if they ever changed this, but the casters on those cabs suck pretty badly. They bend and the cab becomes hard to roll.

Trending Topics