Educate me on computer recording please!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Guitar Slinger6, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I have been recording with a BR1600, all inclusive and easy to use. I have been recording and writing my own songs and using it to post music for feedback. Now, I am to the point of wanting to record them and get a top shelf sound out of them (I intend on selling my music), I have been talking to a guy from GC who seems to be well versed, however I want to get it right. He told me I would want an apogee symphony, lunchbox, and pro tools, I have zero experience and need some insight, I need at least 8 mic inputs and need it user friendly. Help please!!!

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

The salesman is pointing you at some of the pricer items. You don't NEED any of that.

3. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

So what would you recommend?

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

I won't make any recommendations, as that seems to be a very individual thing for home recording gear. I did quite a bit of research before I made the transition from a Korg D3200 to computer-based recording, and for my needs Logic Studio was the best choice (I do a lot of MIDI stuff). It was a cheaper alternative to PT when I bought it three years ago (at $499), and now you can get it for $199!

The gear that the salesman recommended is definitely great stuff, but it just may be more than what you will actually need. You haven't mentioned what instruments are involved, what style of music, etc. All of this is relevant in the selection process.

You might also want to check out GearSlutz.com, it is the Gear Page of recording. TONS of information there to ponder.

5. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. As far as my needs go, a 5 piece drum set, guitar amps, vocals, bass, and keys. The drums and bass track at the same time. As far as the style of music, it can be heard on my link. I don't know how I would classify it.

6. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I am a Sonar guy myself. You need to keep in mind that most DAW's do the same thing. Some are easier to use and some are much more difficult.
    I have been able to put out great recordings with Sonar 2 (though I now use Sonar 7).
    You'll want to do your homework, get one and stick with it. They all have a learning curve. Pro Tools is probably the industry standard, but that is because of its intense editing capabilities.
    Reaper is a major favorite, and may be a good pick as well.

7. tonemnstr

tonemnstr Member

Download Reaper and play around with it. If you decide you like it the cost is $60 which removes the pop up when you start the program and gets you updates for a long time. If you decide not to spend the cash it still functions the same, you just have a pop up when you first fire it up.

From their website:

No Risk
    The evaluation version of REAPER is complete and uncrippled. There are no artificial interruptions or restrictions, and you can save and load projects normally. We believe in giving you a fair chance to make sure that REAPER works correctly with your hardware and suits your workflow.

8. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I've been a Sonar user since V2. Using X1 now and it works great. I have an Emu card and a Tascam interface. Both work well. As a trained recording engineer, I can say that if you have a good instrument/player, good mics and pres, the rest is just user preference.