Educate Me on Gibson Kalamazoo

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tycobb73, May 23, 2015.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

I live in Grand Rapids MI and am a homer. So I"m looking for something that was made in the Gibson Kalamazoo plant. I don't do acoustics but I do basses. How can I tell if it was made in the Kalamazoo factory? I'm looking for something around $750. A working man's guitar is ok. I hear the KG series is terrible and I don't want an mdf body. What models should I be looking at? Obviously I'm not getting a mint SG for that price. Of course there is also Reverend but they probably don't fall in this budget either. I want something that MI hands worked on. I missed out on this and kinda regret it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331555265395?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm also looking at this

https://reverb.com/item/705072-gibson-sb-350-1970-1972-walnut-refinish

so please educate me.

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

3. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

What you think this forum is to help people??

Actually it's a good topic, hopefully someone will answer

4. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The Nashville plant opened in 1974 and Kalamazoo ended in '84. Anything within those years can be checked through the serial number.

5. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

The obvious suggestions would be player grade EB0s, Melody Makers (there was an SG shaped Melody Maker bass in the late 60s) and the SB series of budget SG basses from the 70s. Here's an example of an SB on Gbase that's close to your budget: http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sb-450w-1973-walnut.

This website is a nice resourse for older Gibson basses: http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/

If you're buying a bass of this sort of vintage, be sure to check it carefully for condition and possible issues. I've encountered a few examples that really needed neck resets, and just had one on the bench the other day that had a buckled bridge adding to the high action: if it isn't already well set up, get it checked by a luthier.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

thanks guys. I play guitar too so I'd consider either. I just don't play acoustic. I'd also consider epiphone if it was made in Kzoo.

7. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

A Kalamazoo-made Epiphone that might be within your budget is a mid-1960s single pickup Olympic.

8. 73Fender

73Fender Member

225 Parsons St = old Gibson factory = current Heritage factory. Do a road trip there and meet the owners, nice guys I bet they give you a tour. They will build you what you want (your specs) for much less then a current CS Gibson.

Edit, sorry, just saw the OPs price range. Maybe save a little more and get a used Heritage..you can find nice ones in the low $1k's. Still go and visit though..

9. gpuma

gpuma Member

Buy a Heritage and be done with it. Still making them at 225 Parson st, Kalamazoo, MI

10. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

They'll build me what I want for $750!? Sign me up!

11. 73Fender

73Fender Member

No see my edit..missed the OP's price target.. at that price from the K Zoo factory maybe only headstock repaired guits

12. deejaid

deejaid Supporting Member

Look for an early 80's Epiphone Spirit. LP jr. Style guitar with humbuckers. They can be had for $700-$900. They made a Gibson version too, but it was made in Nashville. The Epi's were made in Kalamazoo.

Here is a beautiful Sunburst Spirit that I foolishly sold. Wish I had it back.

[​IMG]

Alvis likes this.