Educate me on Ibanez AD99 Analog Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ZeroChan, Feb 5, 2011.

1. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

Hello guys. I've had a chance to have for trade an Ibanez AD99 Analog Delay - the one with the purple butterfly. Just wondering what you guys think about it? How does it compare to the Aqua Puss?

I have a Hardwire Delay and I'm pretty content with my faux-tape delay sound, just wondering if the Ibanez delay can be a nice contender for my pedalboard real estate.

Thanks!

2. SUPROficial

SUPROficial Member

A clearer, higher headroom version of the AD9 but it will not self-oscillate.

3. nightraven

nightraven Senior Member

the "99" series are definitely not pedalboard friendly. pretty big footprint and the jacks the wrong way round. the rc99 and fl99 are incredible pedals though and highly underrated. ad99 is a bit meh.

4. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

That was my thoughts when I looked at the pedal. I mean, why would they make the jacks the opposite way? How's the buffer on it though?

Like I said I'm researching if it can dethrone my Hardwire Delay as my ambient thickener.

5. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

300 ms delay good for slap back stuff, the internal trimmers can get it to 400-450ms

6. muffinman

muffinman Member

The AD99 can self-oscillate by adjusting the internal repeats trimpot. Excels for slapback but too dark IMHO for longer repeats; it was muddled and unnoticeable behind any kind of medium/high gain. Overall it was sort of worth the $85 I paid for it a few years back, very much not worth some of the insane prices they've occasionally sold for since. The 99 series pedals have great innards but really poor bypasses -- the PH99 has incredible tones but sorely needs a mod or a bypass looper; the AD99 isn't too much of a tone suck, the kicker is that all of them have the X-wing DPDT switch with a pole for LED, so nope, no true bypass. Worth a try for the right price.

Javiceres likes this.
  7. nightraven

nightraven Senior Member

i didn't think the bypass of my RC99 was that bad. then again i don't get overly fussy about this sort of thing.

8. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

Hmm thanks for the info guys. Now I'm looking at the TC Electronic Flashback - I know it's digital, but it's sounds that it has heaps of features like the DL-8 with 40 seconds delay time. I'm sold.

9. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

The bypass on the 99 series pedals is as good as it gets. The AD99 is an almost exact copy of the AD9, so if anyone wants to call a classic analog delay 'meh' than that's okay :huh

Javiceres likes this.
  10. nightraven

nightraven Senior Member

the other pedals in the series were really really versatile and sounded excellent. the AD99 didn't have anything special on it and i was never a fan of the AD9 in the first place. i like my echo nice and bright and clear.

11. CrispyTone

CrispyTone Member

The Flashback keeps the dry part of the signal entirely analog even when the pedal is on, so its a little more natural than pure digital conversion pedals.