Educate me on the fulldrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by squeally dan, Aug 5, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I mainly use a sf Fender deluxe reverb and just scored a 1970 super reverb. For years I have used a Boss blues driver for low gain and an 80's Keeley modded TS-9 for a bit higher gain. Would I like a FUlldrive better? Would it be a bit of a smoother sound? Also, it seems like their are many versions of the Fulldrive. WHich is best?

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The Fulldrive, IMO, is a great pedal, and at higher volumes, with certain gear, I would almost call it "magical."
    However, with your Keeley TS9 and Blues Driver, once again IMO, I think you have the basic tone of the Fulldrive covered already.
    I would send the BD to Keeley for his mods, then run with those two pedals.
    You'll have the added flexibility of using either the BD or TS stacked or seperate, whereas with the Fulldrive, you can't engage the Boost without the pedal first being on.
    And as far as best, IMO, there are some older versions that sounded amazing, but the new blue Mosfet versions are consistently great and seem a tad better to my ears than the 10th Annys that were released previously.

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Cool. If thats the case, I'll stick with what I got.

4. RickB

RickB Member

With the 10th Anniversary or the current model, you get the option to switch to mosfet clipping which adds a whole other pallet of tones. The comp-cut mode is one of the best clean boosts I have played and when you engage the boost in comp-cut mode, it really gives you a great crunch that sings. It's a great, versatile pedal. :AOK

5. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

With the popularity of the FD2 (and differences of opinion) you owe it to yourself to try one out. The pedal has really taken Fulltone from boutique to mainstream so finding one of the newer models to try out.

You should note that there have been changes in production over the years. Many people claim the early editions and custom shop models sound better than the current blue MosFet edition.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Your gear would eat from the Fulldrive mealtruck. The baby blue early ones with the comp cut pull knob is mon fave; something going on with those. The newer mosfet, not so much. The pre-mosfet, dandy good. Any is worth owning.

Fulldrive with blackface amps are wonderful.

7. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

And many people (including me) claim that the Mosfet's smoke the old muffled FD2 versions.

8. mc2

mc2 Member

Is the FD's boost at or better than the new Fat Boost 2, or is it a gainy boost? I'm considering one or both pedals. SOrry to hijack, but this is quasi-related, right?

9. bluelew

bluelew Member

I've had a couple of them. To me, it was definately smoother than a TS- much rounder sounding. Very nice and addictive sound. Easy to play if that makes sense. Harder to get a SRV tone out of a FD compared to a TS. I would try a newer one- you will have the option of flat mids, comp-cut, and mosfet. I currently use a Fireball II in its place. To my ears, it's somewhere between a TS and a FD. Robben Ford used these before he found the Zendrive.

10. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I sold my blue FD2 and got the newer FD2Mosfet and it sounds as good and maybe even a bit better than the non-Mosfet. I have heard the early FD2's with the alien heads were handpicked by Mike Fuller as the one's he thought sounded better.

11. woude

woude Member

:agree

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I guess I'll have to make do with my original version.:hide

13. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I think it's a stellar pedal. Seriously, it's a classic. Some people like it and some don't, but it's been used by a lot of people with great results. It's basically just a classic tubescreamer sound with a little something extra. I still dig it...

14. tenbender

tenbender Supporting Member

Has anyone tried running theirs at 18 volts?

15. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

I've A/B'd them, no contest the MOSFET sounds better. But I also don't think the MOSFET mode really adds that much. It sounds a little nicer, but its no big deal. I think 18v power is a much bigger difference, especially in comp cut mode. I had a 3 way toggle blue one and I liked its sound as much as the MOSFETS, and those can go for pretty cheap so I'd start there if I were curious about a fulldrive.

Of course the older models might sound better with some setups, its really hard to tell. So just pick one and try it. :D

16. mrweems

mrweems Member

This statement makes me wonder about the possibility of a Sheraton + Fulldrive + Rat -> Twin / Ac30

17. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

18volts is the only way to run a fulldrive.... you can get a ton of tones from the FD2 that you can't get from tubescreamers. mines actually going back on my board right now after i gigged without it thursday night

18. pete james

pete james Member

And many people (including me) claim that the Mosfet's smoke the old muffled FD2 versions.

+1

:BEER

19. mrweems

mrweems Member

Whats the going price for those?

And isn't the FD2's main circuit based off of the TS808? I like my timmy but it doesn't have enough sustain. Great tone and break up. But not the sustain... Will the FD2 get me that nice break up crunch tone with perfect sustain?

20. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Fulldrive has a lot of sustain when comparing to the TIM. I use both together, the TIM is clarifier as the Fulldrive can get a bit murky. To be honest lately I have been thinking about trying the Pedalworx Texas Two Step, supposed to be a better Fulldrive.