Educate Me on the Marshall 18 Watt Clones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pcutt, Nov 27, 2005.

1. pcutt

pcutt Member

There's another thread running now ("some 18 watt questions" by esoteric pete) and I don't want to derail it to ask a tangential question so I'll start another one. I really like the Marshall 18 Watt tones and am thinking of picking up an amp of this kind. So what are the candidates other than Marshall? In particular, what are EXACT CLONES circuit-wise or tonewise (disregard the cabinet aesthetics)? Next, what amps would be INSPIRED BY the 18?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. tuna

tuna Member

I would check out this site:

www.18watt.com

There is alot of info, plus alot of clone builders on this site

3. m1911

m1911 Member

Bacino makes an EL-84 version I believe.....BUT....
    Greg Germino used to make his Masonette....(now discontinued) but offers the Club 40 which will accept 6V6's (lower power) or EL-34's for more power.
    To me, I think he really hit the sweet spot for most players with that model. Great tone and flexibility.
    Mark

4. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Exact clones....

Bacino
    Rockytop
    Blockhead
    GDS

Inspired by....

Reinhardt
    DST Marwatt
    Reeves
    Roccaforte

5. pepi

pepi Member

I build a PC board 18watter and love it. It took me around 16 hours to build and is very quite. Also, came with a set of S2 transformers. I won the kit on Ebay for 345.00

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Be sure to check out Soultone amps, built by Gear Page member Mickey_C.

http://www.soultoneamps.com/products.html

I was going to buy a Marshall 1974x recently, but I discovered the Soultone Londoner 18. I'm glad that I did. Fantastic build quality, it sounds great, less expensive than the 1974x, and Mike's customer service is second to none.

The only down side...now I want one of his Revolution 45 heads.:D

7. doctord02

doctord02 Member

In the inspired by area, dont forget 65Amps and the Gabriel Voxer... both of those guys came from the 18watt.com group.

8. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Also....

Balls
    Throbak

9. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

The Roccaforte Custom 18 is not based on the Marshall 18,
    it came from the 20watt lead.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

18 watters are cool amps, especially when nearly fully cranked. AC/DC to the max is the order of the dayt. The only downfall to an 18 watter is the lack of headroom for cleans. That being said, several of the 18 watt amp manufacturers have come out with 36 watt versions that address the headroom issue in a successfull manner. I had a Reinhardt 36 that was downright potent. Next to a plexi, it was nearly as loud as the plexi and far more articulate.:dude

12. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think I saw somewhere that someone was running an 18 watter for their dirt/gain and a JTM 45 clone for their cleans. Might be an awesome combination. Personally, I'm thinking a two amp setup with an 18 watter for dirt/gain/leads and a Matchless DC30 for cleans to just breaking up.

13. Amplite

Amplite Member

Where does the 65 Amps London fall in the 18 watt ballpark?
    I’ve been interested in comparison between it and the Marshall 18’s!

14. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think that they fall squarely in the same venue as the Voxer. I've never played either, but I'm planning on buying an 18 watter real soon. Anyway, the 65 Amps London and the Voxer both have two channels. . .But, one channel is based on the Marshall 18 watt and one channel is loosely based on a Vox AC15.

15. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Two GIANT thumbs up for the Gabriel Voxer. It is 1/2 Marshall 18 watt and 1/2 Vox AC15. You get the 18 watt sound combined with a second channel with the AC15 tones. Very, very nice amp. Gabi is also just fantastic to work with.

16. Swampash

Swampash Member

Dan Boul may want to jump in here, but I'll offer my 2 cents. The 18 watt Marshall distortion is more based upon preamp overdrive and is somewhat rawer than the 65 Amps London which is power amp overdrive. It's very got a very smooth "grind".

This doesn't mean you can't get the other sound with an overdrive pedal to push the front-end of the amp...pedals work fine.

Although I've not heard the Voxer, several people like them very much too. I would think that either one would be a NICE improvement to the 18 watt Marshall...particularly with the 2nd Vox-like channel.

Anyway, check this thread at the BAM forum for comments from someone who has owned both the Marshall and the 65 Amps: http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19443

YMMV

17. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

I won't speak for 65 amps, but that's incorrect regarding the Marshall 18 watt. It has a very clean preamp, and the distortion is generated by the power amp.

Several builders offer a TMB version, where the Tremolo channel is replaced with a tone stack (Treble, Middle, Bass) and add an extra two triode stages, with a gain control (often labeled as a Master, though technically it is not a Master Volume, in the true sense of the word). That particular version has preamp distortion - the standard 1974x preamp circuit is clean.

Just wanted to clarfiy that information. The Marshall 18 watt, and the many clones, generate their distortion from the power amp.

18. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I think you are on to something there. My amp would distort a little with the gain/preamp volume turned up, but really opened up with some fat crunchy tones when the master was approaching mid ways to nearly full.

19. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

A Marshall 18 watt (the 1974x RI) has a "volume" and a "tone" in the normal channel, and a "volume", "tone", "intensity", and "Speed" in the tremolo channel.

The Volume control attenuates the signal to the phase inverter. There's no preamp master or gain involved in that amp, and the distortion comes from the power amp.

Even when using the HI input (one closest to the rear of the amp) you are just running the V1 triode pair in parallel. They're still not cascaded, so there's very little preamp distortion to speak of.

Not sure what kind of setup you had HeeHaw, but it wasn't a stock Marshall 18watt, if it had a master.

20. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member