Educate me on the Marshall Mini Jubilee (2525c)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Alpione, Feb 19, 2019.

1. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting your experience. I was afraid of that....as Marshall’s loops (ime) were never impressive, so perhaps this is more of the same.

Thank you too, for the details. If a buffer is (ideally) required to bring the loop-level up, sadly I’ll have to pass. My hopes were high...

Blix likes this.
  2. Junta

Junta Member

Hey saltydog! No, I do not mean that you have to bring the loop-level up. In my experience, comparing the 2525h to my amps and high end rentals, i find its effects loop level to be lower than others. If you do not have a complicated stereo set up like mine, this could mean the following (hypothetical scenarios):
    1. if you switch amps from time to time, your delay presets/levels might need adjusting with the 2525h
    2. If you are running high db output effects in the loop (especially things like preamps, or effects putting out line levels only because they are meant to be used with pro-level loops, rack-mount effects or keyboards) you may run into headroom issues with the 2525h's effect loop circuit.
    It is more likely that you will experience NO ISSUES at all with most typical set ups and pedals. It is when you start trying complicated scenarios like me that the 2525h's effects loop starts showing its limitations.

I am planning on buying a second 2525h as a long term back up- I think that should say smth... I say, do not give up on the 2525h without trying! Good luck!

Here is an amateur recording I made with the Mini Jubilee in action not too long ago (playing all guitar parts and bass; drums come from EZDrummer 2):

and here is part of my set-up (I take my w/d/w or stereo set up seriously):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    saltydogg and ken374 like this.
  3. ken374

ken374 Member

I love humbuckers but man oh man my Stratocaster boosted with the soulfood on the crunch channel sounds awesome! This and SV Marshall are my best sounding amps I ever owned:)

Cliffhydro and Steviecaster like this.
  4. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

That's bummer about the effects loop. I was considering getting one down the road but that might be an issue as I use my loop for delays and reverbs and wouldn't want to have to readjust my pedals to work in another amp loop. Why the hell they can't make modernized, practical loops in new amps theses days is beyond me, especially from a huge company like Marshall.

saltydogg likes this.
  5. ken374

ken374 Member

I only use a delay its perfectly fine!!

DonaldDemon likes this.
  6. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Which delay?

7. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

He mosy used a Marshall Major for his cleans, which is like a 200w Plexi. SRV used one for a while, too, I think.

8. ken374

ken374 Member

EH Canyon delay Mogami cables

DonaldDemon likes this.
  9. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Yep. Had a full stack for each one.

Steviecaster likes this.
  10. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

The 2525C Mini jub combo i had was only decent imo at high volume lvls. Pretty much worthless at home as its gain was just bee buzz at that lvl or maybe something was wrong with my amp im not sure. Just something to keep in mind

11. ken374

ken374 Member

Yeah loud is best you should run the output level high

12. Junta

Junta Member

DonaldDemon, I hear you - your usage of a loop pedal might be complicated enough to run into issues with the effects loop of the 2525h - when you switch amps that is.

I most certainly do not want to give the impression that there is smth wrong with this amp’s effects loop. Marshall has a different approach to effects loop design, and it is in my opinion not as sophisticated or versatile as other compsnies’. But the loop works fine with most effects.

Before switching to Volante as my ‘effects loop stereo delay’ (I have the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall RKM to use in mono after my drive pedals if I am not using amp distortion), I used the TC Triple Flasback in stereo for years without any issues.

This is a good example how the 2525h’s effects loop is different: I had set my overall AS WELL AS effects loop levels with 2525h and the V:25 in stereo, and played without issues for years. The TC Triple Flashback is true Stereo: as in, it does not sum to mono like the Volante.

Then came the Volante (the best delay pedal I have ever used without a doubt). It sums left and right, and then moves the sum between left and right channels for stereo (only the wet, NOT the dry) - a totally different approach from the TC pedal. This totally messed up my levels, and I had to re adjust so that when the the Volante threw the sound to the left and the right, the levels of the 2525h and V:25 matched.

Not a big deal with the Empress Stereo Buffer Plus. But without it, this would be an issue. Adjusting the master volume levels of the amps would not work, because I also use amp distortion like 75% of the time. Told you my set up was complicated...

Anyway, I wanted to clarify, because I do not want to be the one giving the 2525h a bad name. I will be buying my second copy soon!

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    saltydogg likes this.
  13. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

I run a much simpler setup through a 2525 head and a 212 open back greenback cab.

I have no issues at all with the effects loop running with my helix in 4CM. And the head itself sounds absolutely fantastic.

14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Understandable, your set up is way more complicated than mine. I just have several pedalboards that are all set up the same way to go through the same (or similar) amps. I’ve had that issue before with other amps where the levels where different enough that I had to readjust all of my effects loop pedals to match, which is a big PITA with something like the Zoom multieffect that has presets and no volume knob.

It think I really just need to try one for myself one day because they sound great in the demos. Hopefully they are loud enough to keep up with a drummer and not mush out too much or lose significant headroom.

Junta likes this.
  15. Junta

Junta Member

You know exactly what I am referring to. Cheers!

DonaldDemon likes this.
  16. rng52465

rng52465 Member

Is there a difference between the Mini-head and the Studio head? The amp online says Studio but this one doesn't say it. Is it the same Amp???

17. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Essentially yes. The Mini Jubilee came out before Marshall decided to reissue their old classics in the MH format. So when they released the others in that lineup, they simply rebranded the MJ to be part of it.

To the OP: another satisfied Strat player with a Mini Jubilee here. I would say the effects loop is usable (I run two Boss 500 series pedals through mine) but it does suffer in comparison to other high end lunchbox amps. Unless you own a Mesa V:25 or PRS Archon, it won’t bother you that much.

I would recommend a good attenuator, though. Marshalls sound their best when the volume is at least halfway up.

Junta likes this.
  18. Junta

Junta Member

Completely agreed. That is why I have 3 attenuators! I know, it sounds illogical to plan for a major additional expense when you are going for a relatively lower priced, lower wattage amp like the Mini Jubilee, but it is what is; this amp sounds glorious when cranked.

Having said that, many people play this amp at ‘bedroom’ levels and are totally fine with it. The 5 watt setting while using the cascading 3-stage input/output knobs in an optimum combination makes the Mini Jubilee much more usable without an attenuator say than the studio vintage model.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  19. rng52465

rng52465 Member

20. rng52465

rng52465 Member

I assume it is not available yet as I cannot find it anywhere? I only see the 800 and the Plexi online.