Educate me on using compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I'm turning to the TGP School of Pedals in order to understand how to better use a compressor. I have a Barber Tone Press, and the music style I play is classic rock, blues rock to pop-rock (think U2 and Manic Street Preacher).

How do you set up your compressor for, let's say, light to medium overdriven tones? I know this is a very open question, but some guidance for me to play around with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Christian

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

one way to start is by running the compression on the lighter side and boosting it up so you can see the effect (squashing the attack but prolonging the decay) to where that is balanced where you'd like it... you can also work the volume/sustain to balance out with that and get the dynamic where you like it.

on top of that the eq can be tweaked to taste. it's all fairly subjective dep. on the type of compressor you're using etc.
    different compressors will give different results as you work through these variables ...

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

unplug it and put it in a drawer...no seriously

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

:rotflmaoExcellent!!!

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

With the Tone Press you can go two ways. Crank it up and squish the attack or set the Blend way down maybe 8 or 9 o'clock. You'll get the sustain without the big hit on your attack.

6. johnston

johnston Member

like chorus, compression is very often misused if not overused. it's about limiting the dynamic range. it's kinda like "cheating". but one application that's good for compression is slide playing.

7. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I play a LOT of U2...and compression and long delay does not mix well...
    I also have a barber tone press and it is always on, so when I do U2 I turn the blend to 8 or 9 oclock max and use it for a sustain boost...for most classical rock or hard rock overdriven tone I set the sustain at 1 oclock and the blend at 10-11 oclock

for sweet home alabama though turn that blend tp 4 or 5 oclock :)

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for that :BEER...I'll give it a try when working day is over!!

9. timmerel

timmerel Member

If you have an effects loop, try putting it in there - that way you get interesting sweet dynamic power tube compression. Quite a different sound.