Educate me - what makes Orange different than Marshall or ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesdoc, Feb 20, 2012.

1. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

As in title. Are there basic circuit differences between Orange and Marshall, or eq range, or dynamics or ? Thanks.

jon

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

3. bluesdoc

Thanks Wayne. I should qualify my post by saying that I picked up the Oxford Tech 21 Character pedal, its Orange style box, and am loving it (eff w/ GT10, into frfr mon). And I love the tones Blackberry Smoke gets using Orange amps. I once had an RV50 amp and really liked the lead side, but the clean side left me cold. These days, using only modeler type systems, I get my cleans from the Liverpool Tech 21. To the extent that Orange has some Vox flavor, I guess I'm leaning towards that genre of tones.

jon

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. germs

germs Member

Orange tends to have a "darker" sound than Marshall, which - for me - goes well with my particular choices of somewhat brighter guitars.

i find Marshall a little too bright on the gain settings, and haven't really found a model i really like.

i'm an Orange fan!

5. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I know nothing about electronics but, once I went to a studio and ended up playing on a Marshall JCM900 because the Orange farted a lot with my silicon fuzz face.

6. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Orange is based on a Vox circuit, which makes for a higher headroom kind of amp with a breakup that goes from a stiff shimmer or a chopped off crunch. The mid peak is higher up and not as present.

The Marshall is based on a Fender Tweed circuit with less headroom, a lower but more accented mid peak.

fridgit likes this.
  7. bluesdoc

The eq controls on the Oxford allow dialing in plenty of high end, should 'darkness' be an issue.
    Thanks guys, I've learned a lot from your postings here.

jon

8. cratz2

cratz2 Member

My take is this: There are many models from each company, but I think of Orange as the high gain Vox and Marshall as the high gain Fender. TERRIBLY broad generalizations, but that's my take... at least on the classic models.

I'm mostly a clean player and personally, I've yet to play any Orange amp that had what I considered to be a really good clean tone. Not saying they are unusable by any stretch, but not 'good' or 'great'.

9. Cussion

Cussion Member

The way I hear it is the difference in the midrange "honk".

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Have you played a vintage Orange amp? INCREDIBLE, warm cleans.

11. IceTre

IceTre Supporting Member

Would you say an Orange (distortion) is similar to a Mesa Boogie? I've owned and played Fenders, Vox, Marshalls and Mesa Boogie; haven't tried an Orange yet.

12. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Nope, I'd say it's sort of a mashup of Vox, Marshall & Hiwatt.

13. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

What is the HiWatt circuit (say DR103 or DR504) a mashup of (or how could it be described in comparison to vox, marshall, fender)?

14. bluesdoc

I've only had this Oxford pedal a few days and have had the drive up on ballsy rock. For the first time, today, I dialed the gain down and damn, beautiful big cleans are there. I know it's not the same as tubes and cones, but still, I'm loving the range of tones this thing has. And it takes being goosed by drive pedals (or models) really well. It's interesting, after being a Fender clean, D-style drive guy for years, to discover and embrace these other tones. A door has opened into a very cool new room. I'll be taking her out for a spin with my bandmate buddy tomorrow. -->>

And, I just noticed that this is my 9999th post :eeks :jo

jon

15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

orange has some things in common with vox's designs but uses a very different tone stack.

however, a lot of their amps do have post phase inverter master volumes and the same type of brilliance/cut control that vox's have.

The hiwatt circuits that were designed and built by reeves have very little in common with any fender or marshall circuits.

16. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Sure. I just don't think I like Orange cleans... at least not at the volumes I can use. It's not a slight against Orange or Orange lovers.