Edwards CTM John Sykes LP - opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rickeb1, Feb 9, 2006.

1. rickeb1

rickeb1 Member

From reading posts on this forum, it seems the Edwards Les Paul style guitars are generally well-regarded. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Edwards ESP Les Paul CTM John Sykes model. I'm sort of considering getting a Les Paul of some kind, and I really like the looks of this one. But sight unseen, I'm wondering how it plays and how it sounds. Here is a link, click on "Guitars" and look for the John Sykes model:

http://www.katanaguitars.com/main/top.html

Thanks for your thoughts!

~ Rick

2. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

I'm waiting for one of my friends to buy an Edwards so i can try one:D I don't want to be the Giunea Pig of the group. But I'll be dammed if i spend 3,000 on an LP Custom. Some other people, whom opinions i trust, have bought these Edwards guitars and love them.

3. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Supporting Member

:moon :NUTS :AOK

4. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

When I was in japan I played a bunch of Edwards Guitars. I nearly bought an Edwards Jimmy Page Relic model but in the end bought a Tokai which is what I always wanted. Edwards guitars are great though, If you have 2,000 or so you can get a Navigator, which is basically a Edwards version of custom shop guitars, except for the fact that they are a million times better than a gibson custom shop. If you have the money I would say a high end tokai or Edwards is the way to go, you cant go wrong with them.

5. nsriley

nsriley Member

A friend of mine on here 'Reverend Voodoo' just bought a Sykes model in Japan on a trip and brought it back. He loves it and from clips I've heard it sounds sweet. Maybe he'll chime in, or you can PM him.

-Peace
    -Nate

6. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Would someone like to be charitable and by me an ESP Edwards Navigator ???;):D;):D;)

7. rickeb1

rickeb1 Member

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it! It looks like the Edwards are a good deal - added to my wish list!

~ Rick

8. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

If the Sykes model is anywhere near as nice as the JP model (E-LP-105LTS/RE) I have then it's def worth considering. Although I think it has a poly finish instead of the nitro lacquer mine has, but even so I'm sure it's nice. Give Ishibashi an e-mail & let them know which model you want & they should be able to get you a really good price on it. www.ishibashi.co.jp Just follow the link at the top that says "English" & go from there. :) Just my $.02

9. Reverend Voodoo

Reverend Voodoo Member

Sorry For the late reply..

The Edwards Sykes Les Paul ROCKS

Worth every penny...

10. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I just picked one of these up for a friend of mine.....found it on ebay and it was 5 minutes from my house! I just set it up yesterday and havent had too much time to play it yet but appears very cool for the $. The electronics seem a little cheesy...but that an easy fix. I will the say the fretwork is very good and the neck is straight and it intonated very well. The bone nut is cut very well and it stays in tune very good. The Gotoh bridge seems more solid than the one on my epi Elitist. I'm not really a fan of the Duncan Distortion pickups....but that's an easy fix as well. I'd say it's a solid, well built guitar for the $. The one thing I question is the Long Tenon. The Six string Katana site says it has a long Tenon, but I pulled the neck pickup and cant see that. It's covered in black paint, but the tenon is not visible. That's a very small complaint for a guitar in this price range.

11. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Here's a couple of pics:
    [​IMG]

12. Wally1

Wally1 Member

13. trouw2112

trouw2112 Supporting Member

I just picked one up used and switched the pickups and chrome stuff out. I've had it for a couple weeks and am very pleased. Having been through 10+ Gibsons and always selling them for different reasons, I can say the Edwards are no brainers.:AOK[​IMG]