Edwards E-LP 130RE

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fish78, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fish78

fish78 Member

Anybody have one? Impressions? Weight? Like the PUs? Any info appreciated.

2. AlexF

AlexF Member

Fab guitar, ultra light, I dont believe mine is chambered/weight relieved. One piece mahogany body/maple top with a flame veneer on top of that. Pups are Duncan Antiquities which many believe are the best PAF clones available. Add in CTS pots and decent electrics, all nitro lightly aged finish, gotoh nickel hardware including a lightweight tailpiece, selected kluson type tuners, great finish and attention to detail and you have one top class Paul. The only thing I would wish to change on mine (and it is a big one to me) is the neck size - I love a clubby neck, this one I would class as slim, though its not as slim as say a LP Classic. Each to their own on that one though...
    Al

3. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

fish78,

Having been on the Edwards webpage I've failed to find the model that you bring up. I ask only because I am on the hunt for a LP copy and the Edwards have part of my attention.

Thank you.

4. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Mine is stuck in Customs !!!!!!!!!

Can't wait, are they really CTS pots? Everyone on this forum seems to change Edwards pots because they are not CTS.

I've not found it on the Edwards website either, I'd like to see some sort of 'spec' sheet or description.

5. AlexF

AlexF Member

I promise you thats the spec mine came with new. The 130RE is a much higher spec than any of my other Edwards, including the JP
    Al

6. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Just found this Ebay description:

Edwards light relic guitar made by ESP for the Japanese market only. This is the absolute top of the line guitar, the best they make. Features are: One piece ultra light mahogany body with maple cap (not weight relieved). One piece mahogany neck, medium chunky C shape. Selected Kluson type machines (all are tight and smooth). All nitro finish, nicely aged. Seymour Duncan Antiquities (the best PAF replicas available and would cost around £150 each on their own). High quality electrics (CTS pots etc). High quality Gotoh nickel hardware, including lightweight ally tailpiece. Weighs 3.6kg. Includes ESP gigbag. All in all a super high quality LP type, no upgrades needed with these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-EDWARDS-P...ryZ33038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. kherman

kherman Member

8. fish78

fish78 Member

9. fish78

fish78 Member

Alex, is the sound all you expected? Can you ask for a heavier one...I have noticed some are listed as light as 7.5 lb...Can you post some pics of yours?
    Thanks,
    fish

10. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Mine weighs in at 7.5 pounds. If you get one from Ebay, all of the sellers that carry the 130 LTS/RE disclose the weights in the auctions. Yasoomusic and MIJKatanaguitars both sell them for a BIN of $1060 plus shipping. The 130 LTS features the same CTS pots and Oil filled caps as the Navigator Series. I'm finding mine a little lean on the low end and lacking some character compared to my Tokai LS200. I'm going to try hotter pickups and possibly some Tonepros Hardware. A little disappointed at the moment, but jury's still out...

11. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

12. fish78

fish78 Member

Do you think the light weight has anything to do with the lean low end and lack of character?

13. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Not sure. I asked around at the Tokaiforum and there was one other member who found his Edwards to be thin and even shrill sounding. Even after several boutique pickup swaps. While I don't find mine to be at all shrill, it could definitely use a bit more growl, grunt and fatness. It's a good sounding guitar and if I didn't have the Tokai to compare it to, I would probably be none the wiser. Especially since the workmanship is outstanding.

14. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Is the E-LP 130RE the Jimmy Page model, or is that a different model #? thanks!

15. fish78

fish78 Member

Different model...less reliced, different PUs....the Page model is E-LP112RE.

16. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks fish. Is it a step up from the Edwards E-lP-98lts? Which seems like a pretty good guitar to me. But I'm wondering if the 130 is even better?

I'm not really into the relic thing, but would like to have the antiquiity pickups instead of the sh1 and sh4 that come with the E-LP- 98lts.

17. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

That's what tone controls on the guitar and amp are for! :)

My Edwards JP is more trebly than my Tokai Goldtop - but there is also a significant weight difference between the two (Tokai is a couple pounds heavier). When swappnig between the two, I make minor EQ adjustments on my overdrive pedal and amp and all is good.

I swapped out the bridge pickup and caps on the Edwards and the pickups, caps, switches, pots, wiring and bridge/tailpiece on the Tokai, so neither have the stock tone anymore.

- Chris

18. AlexF

AlexF Member

All the Edwards' I have owned have been very Paul sounding, that's why I'm into 'em! Pics are very much the same as the ones shown above. They all differ in sound and feel, just like all makes. Mine is just under 8lbs. In answer to another question about whether the 130 is better than the 98, like all japanese makers, the higher the number, the higher the spec. I believe the 130 is the top of the Edwards line.
    Al

19. fish78

fish78 Member

Soundhound, you are in the same boat as me...not really crazy about the reliced look, but want the PAF type PUs...Now if they would do a high gloss lacquer finish and put the Antiguities and the CTS pots in it, they would really have my attention...And have about a 700 USD price...well, I can dream....can't I?

20. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Yes, well, there are overtones that are present in the Tokai that amp and guitar tone controls definitely can't provide! :)