Edwards Guitars: Long Tenon

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rick66, Jul 11, 2006.

1. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

i felt compelled to raise this issue after peering into the neck pick up cavity on my recently acquired jimmy page relic. when i think of a "long tenon", i tend to think that it should look like the tenon of a gibson historic les paul where one can see part of the tenon at the bottom of the neck pickup cavity. when i pulled the neck pick up in my page relic, it looked nothing like that of my R7. it really makes me wonder if it in fact has a true "long" tenon. doesn't matter much to me but i doubt this guitar has a true "long tenon."

i tried emailing the guy on ebay, mijsixstringkatana, several times to clarify this. one of his marketing efforts is the push for the "long tenon." he never responded to any of my inquiries.

i still think this guitar is killer for the price. but, i also think the "long tenon" may be a bit of hype unless someone can actually confirm it to be true. just a heads up for those considering buying an edwards les paul.

2. bailnout

bailnout Member

Take a picture of it and post it so we can see it. I'll let you know if it's a "long tenon" or not.

Incidentally, there is a lot of banter back and forth whether a long tenon makes a difference or not. If you like the way your guitar sounds, it doesn't matter one dang bit!

I keep telling people that it's not the length that's important, it's the girth. And that's no joke! Plus different designs of guitars require what some refer to as the tenon to stick into the body further. Take a look an old double cutaway Les Paul Jr. that has only one pickup. Take that pick guard off and you will see a lot of neck wood under there. Some would think it's a long tenon but by comparison to a single cut away design Les Paul Standard with a "short tenon", there isn't much difference. Just some food for thought.

Congrats on the new guitar.

3. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

i love the guitar. the tenon length was just something i wanted to look at since i had the strings off. got a digital cam now so next time i change the strings, i'll snap a pic.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Then don't let the tenon bother.

I put far more stock in what my ears/eyes/hands tell me than what I read on an internet board.

5. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I'm glad someone else has brought this up. I think Edwards are very bice guitars for the money....but I recently had The LP John Sykes Model and the Guitar did not have a long tenon as advertised. It was still a cool guitar, but did not have the long tenon. I also have owned 2 Epi Elitists Les Pauls that were made in Japan and the Long Tenon was very visible on both an looked very much like the long tenon on the 2 Historics I've owned. I know what to look for and what a Long Tenon on an LP should look like and my Edwards did not have it.

6. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

i'm sure it has been bantered around the net for years, but I.M.O. big fricken difference long tenon or not....................i'm a long tenon guy.:AOK

7. yannis

yannis Member

There are two types of tenons in Tokais for example and i would expect Edwards to do the same. Long tenon (like the Gibson RI), medium-long tenon which is basically inbetween the Gibson RI and the Gibson STD. It is a square tenon that reaches up to the PU cavity but doesnt have the extra lip that goes halfway through the pu cavity.

8. tdu

tdu Member

They really advertise all the "Laquer Taste" guitars as having a long tenon though. I don't think I'd care much either way, but they really plug it as a feature.

9. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Here's a pic I took of my Edwards JP Relic the last time I changed strings.

[​IMG]

10. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

that pic eric, actually looks like yous DOES have a long tenon? you can see the two different types of grain in the pic? interesting. i don't recall mine as having that. next time i change my strings, i'm going to get some better light in there and look.

11. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

My JP relic looks exactly like Eric's. Funny, note the 2 long and 2 short pickup ring screws. Mine has that too. Wonder why?

12. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

hmmm. now i definately have to change my strings tonight. :JAM

my pup ring has the different length screws as well. i just figured it was to compensate for the angled bottom of the ring itself.

13. whitehall

whitehall Member

It's just ebay Jap marketing. Any wood protruding into the pickup cavity is considered " long tenon " and since most of them don't have return policies they can call it whatever they want... I just ordered an Edwards ELP85SD from Ishibashi that does not have a long tenon, at least it doesn't make mention of this on the ESP site. I think the reason my R8 sounds so good is the combination of the fat neck and the non weight relieved body.

14. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The tenon in this picture is longer than the Gibson historics. If that is a typical Edwards long tenon, then they are being accurate. That said, a long tenon is just one small part of a guitar recipe. Is the tenon snug and well glued? Is the bottom of the tenon parallel with the pocket or does the tenon have bevels machined in for tilt adjustment? A long tenon no more guarantees great tone than does a brand on a headstock.

15. VanStone

VanStone Member

I just received my E-LP-85SD from Ishibashi in late May, and the tenon is the same as pictured here on the Edwards JP Relic.

V

16. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

My Edwards JP model's neck tenon looks just like the one pictured above as well. Unless ESP went to the trouble of gluing a piece of wood in there to make it look like a long tenon I'm pretty sure it's legit. It would be more trouble to do that than to just make it with the long tenon to begin with. Here's a pic I took a few months back of mine:

[​IMG]

If you look just below the fingerboard on both Eric's pic and my pic you can see the neck wood there as well which lines up perfectly with the tenon. I've seen in side the neck cavities of enough LP's to have no reason to disbelieve that it's a legit long neck tenon. Just my $.02 so ymmv.

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

Well said. Personally I think the whole long tenon thing is a bit overblown and difficult to prove right or wrong.

18. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

19. henkebarn

henkebarn Member

(My first post here ever)

Could you giva a review on the JP model? I've been thinking more and more about buying one myself, but I haven't tried one and I don't know anyone who has!

20. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

First off, I suggest you do a search for "Edwards" on this forum. You'll find lots of info on these.

A few comments on mine: I took a chance on this and bought it used from a Forum member after reading reviews on this forum after going through three USA made Gibson Les Paul Standards. This is lighter (it has weight relief holes like a Gibson USA), more resonant, has better sustain, plays better, and sounds better than the three Gibsons I bought off eBay and then subsiquently sold. The Duncan pickups sound good ('59 neck and Custom in the bridge), but I ended up putting in a WCR Crossroads in the neck and a Goodwood in the bridge. Mine has standard switching, not the "Super Switching", so someome else will have to comment on that. The hardware is Gotoh and I have no problems with tuning stability or intonation (something that I could not claim with two of the three Gibsons I had). The pots and caps are OK, but I'll eventually upgrade it with a kit from RS Guitarworks (something that also needs done with USA Gibsons IMO).

Tonally, I think this one sounds more like a USA Gibson LP Standard than a Historic Gibson which could be in part due to the weight relief holes. It doesn't seem to have quite the same "girth" and "growl" that I remember my friends Historic having but I have not had the chance to play it side by side with his Historic yet. If you are looking for a cheaper equivallent to a Les Paul Standard, then these are worth a look. We can argue all we want about whether the long neck tenon yields better tone, but I think it's pretty well established that the long tenon construction method yields a better constructed neck joint than the method used in the USA made LP Standards. This one has completely cured my GAS for a LP style guitar. YMMV.