Edwards Les Paul Custom :-)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 4nkam, Jun 30, 2006.

1. 4nkam

4nkam Member

Hey guys...So I thought I'd put up some pix of my recently acquired edwards lp custom, aka...the BEAST, haha :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mJ

2. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Nice guitar! What pickups are in it? I had an Edwards Sykes model LP Custom for a while and it was cool. I'd still like to pick up an Edwards LP Jr. sometime. The Edwards are decent guitars for the money.

3. 4nkam

4nkam Member

Thanks...It has a JB and 59 installed right now and I'm thinking about getting another set but with gold covers. Buuuuuuut, I kinda dig the way it looks :)

mJ

4. Wally1

Wally1 Member

The zebras look cool. I've always liked the zebra look and I currently have 2 guitars with Zebras. The Gold would look really good too. That's a tough choise because both look good!

5. AlexF

AlexF Member

many congrats, these are the best copies out there
    Al

6. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I just got an Edwards ES-335 dot myself, and it's amazing - it's one of the Lacquer Taste line, and the Nitro finish is just beautiful. Add a long neck tenon, perfect binding, excellent hardware (Duncan pups, of course, SH-2/SH-14) and a weight under 8 lbs., and you've got the perfect 335 for me... these guitar are a terrific value!

7. tdu

tdu Member

I have been considering either one of the Edwards Specials or a 335 style. The more photos I see, the more I want one.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

That's a very nice looking guitar. I took a look online and found they're made by ESP. I'm curious how they've avoided the rath of the big G?? (A PRS single cut looks nothing like that...)

9. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

10. JimmyApollo

JimmyApollo Member

They're made in Japan for the Japanese market only (although you can import them, obviously), and thus fall outside U.S. copyright/trademark jurisdiction.

11. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

That looks SWEET, they're like $700 right? ;)

Wonder how those stand up to Historics, as they are Long Tenon and NON-Weight releived. How much she weigh?

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Comprehensive tone review?

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Does this guy have a website? I'm trying to look up more information on these guitars.

14. 4nkam

4nkam Member

Thanks guys...Yeah normally they sell for around $850 shipped from japan, but I got this off a guy on another board for a much lower price :) The funny thing is I almost bought this EXACT guitar about a year ago too!

All I can say is, aside from having the gibson logo/name on the headstock, I would actually find it fairly hard to buy one gibson when I could snag a couple of these bad boys. Now, I'm not necessarily a LP purist where every little thing like the caps and wiring has to be down to a specific time period in order to be "good" :D But I know what I like and that's a guitar that 1) sounds good 2) feels good 3) and looks good. This guitar nails all of that and more.

The sounds are just great, unplugged it has a vibrant and pretty resonate acoustic tone. It weighs in a tad over 8 pounds so it isn't a backbreaker, but still has a good amount of solid weight and feels very beastly when you play :)

It really does feel great to play too. At first, I wasn't sure how I would like the thicker neck since I'm used to thinner C shaped profiles and 1 5/8" widths. Obviously this bad boy is a bit chunkier :) but...I've been playing it for about a week now and I really dig the way it feels, it feels pretty natural now.

Last but not least, it looks really great too. The finish and attention to detail is great. I can't find any flaws except two spots where the binding is lighter...but it's not very drastic at all.

I would say pick one up if you can, you will probably enjoy it very much and if you're like me, you'll want to grab a few more later :)

mJ

15. 4nkam

4nkam Member

Most of the models are here: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

You gotta order through a japanese dealer though. One of them that people have had good experience with is katana guitars on ebay and http://www.katanaguitars.com Their prices are just a tad higher than the cheapest dealer in japan, so it's still a pretty good deal.

mJ

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Nice...looks like a reasonable way do the Al Dimeola thing. :)
    Greg

17. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

What method did you use to trace the neck carve?

18. dogfood

dogfood Member

The Edwards Les Paul is 94,500 Yen and converted to USD @ 114.7 or inverse @ .00871838 converts to $823 new from the Edwards web site. In case you were wondering...

19. karmadave

karmadave Member

Japanese guitars are a GREAT value IMHO. I've got two Japanese-made Lesters (Tokai LS-80S & LS-150) and they are flawless! The only weakness is the pickups which were swapped out for Lollars and Voodoos. I also like the "medium" thickness necks too. Seems that the Japanese don't have big hands so it's rare to find a huge neck on these guitars (although I'm sure they are out there..). The only Edwards I've played is the JP Lester and I have to say it was a nice guitar, but not my cup of tea.

That's my $.02...

-KD

20. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

335 eh? Where'd you get that? I liked my Edwards Page...and this sounds like a possible semi-hollow fix. :)