Edwards Les Pauls: Who has got em...Do you still Like them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sparkle**, Sep 4, 2006.

1. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Edwards Les Pauls: Who has got em...Do you still Like them?

How do they compare to the "real deal"?

I have a 57 reissue BB Historic....

How do the Edwards ( or Tokai) play?

2. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

I love my Edwards:

[​IMG]

Haven't owned a Gibby in a long time, so it's tough for me to make a real side-by-side comparison. The neck on mine is nice and thick, not unlike the size/feel of my PRS CU22. Very comfy to play! It has an unbelievable warm and resonant unplugged tone, and the JB/59 pup combo delivers just what you would expect.

I got lucky and snagged mine from a guy who didn't bond with it, so he let it go for $600. Even at full price, these are amazing bargains. Is is as good as a VOS Historic? Don't know. Don't care. It's plenty LP for me... and I can buy a few more of whatever I want with the money left over from not buying a Gibby. :AOK

3. AlexF

AlexF Member

ooh tough question. The Edwards are easily equal to a Standard in every respect. Are they equal to an historic? Not really, unless you close your eyes and do a blindfold test, then I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference (apart from different pickup types). In short, it depends what you want from your guitar. If you want every constructional detail right, pay the money and get the historic. However if you are looking for a killer gigging guitar, save the money and buy the Edwards. I remember a few months back starting a gig having left the Edwards leaning against a chair. As we started, I noticed it gently start to slide then fall to the floor. i couldnt have done that had it been an historic, I'd have had to stop playing and make a grab to save it. fortunately no damage was done.
    Al

4. rick66

rick66 Member

got a relic jimmy page. wasn't too fond of the gotoh bridge, so i upgraded to a tone pros. while i was at it, i put on a lightweight aluminum tailpiece. acoustically, this guitar is right up there with my historic R7. head to head, my R7 and my edwards are pretty close. really close. the edwards is much lighter and the neck is obviously slimmer. really tough call on which one i'd keep if i could only have one. for some reason, i find myself continuing to reach for the edwards. it's just fun to play.

5. VanStone

VanStone Member

I've had my Edwards since May. I still love it - great bang for the buck!

V

[​IMG]

6. MKII

MKII Active Member

I've been tempted to buy a gold top and/or les paul custom style Edwards from ebay. The damn import tax charges put me off though. I've heard nothing but high praise about them anyways.

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

I like mine (elp85sd) it's a very different guitar. It doesn't resemble my Gibsons in any way except to the untrained eye it looks like one. Which brings me to my point. On dozens of forums everyday , people who obviously aren't living with several Gibson LP's ask the same question. - How does it compare with Gibson ? Well , it different. ALL asian LP's are different. They are made of different woods, by different people, in different factories. This doesn't mean they are good/bad, just different. If you like the way a Gibson LP feels then you should buy one. If you just like the LP body style then you should buy as many different ones as you can afford. You will find one you really like.

8. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

Most tone pros products are made by Gotoh

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

Aye. They're Gotoh bridges with two grubscrews. That's it.

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I really liked my Edwards Page LP...very R9-ish neck profile, played nice, and light at 7.7 lbs. The look and vibe were great. Sounded pretty good, perhaps a bit week in the low-end oomph department (due in part to the light weight?)...otherwise held it's own tonally in a little local shoot with an R8 & R9. Not really "the same" as a Gibby, but gets you in the neighborhood (and on the same block). I've also owned several other import LPs and half a dozen Historics (not at the same time!).
    Greg

11. rick66

rick66 Member

thank you for the replies that the tone pros are gotoh bridges. i can read the bottom stamp and already new that. personally, i find the bridge to be of better quality than the rattler that was on there.

12. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Does anyone have the Edwards version of the the Les Paul Special ( with P90s )???

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

14. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

15. rickboot

rickboot Member

I've got an Edwards E-LP-90LTC - the John Sykes model which is basically a LP Custom Black Beauty.

I haven't owned a real Gibson LP Custom so I can't compare. However, I do own a Custom Shop Les Paul Class 5. Build quality and playability on the Edwards is as good or better. I can't compare sound because I decided to do something completely different (for me) and make it a metal machine - I put EMGs in it. .

It is a great instrument for the money. I think the Gotoh tuners, bridge and tailpiece are top notch. I think they cut corners on the inlay (looks like plastic) and I've heard the multiply binding isn't real. But for the money I paid I can't complain. I find myself grabbing it the most often. I might get another to put passive pickups in.

16. mhenson42

mhenson42 Supporting Member

Can anyone compare these to an ESP Eclipse. I believe the Edwards are thicker and warmer than the Eclipse. My biggest complaint about my Eclipse is that it is too bright.

17. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I have the Edwards LT90 LP and I absolutely love it. Nice and light. I have put in Lollar Imperials I had stashed away and have put the lightweight aluminum bridge on it and it sounds wonderful. I have owned two 70's Les Pauls in the past and neither was close to this Edwards. I highly recommend it for the money ($725 shipped, everything). I know there are many excellent Gibson Les Pauls out there, the Edwards happens to be an excellent alternative...yes it has a veneer top, but it's all covered in nitro!

18. kherman

kherman Member

Edwards are a good alternative to the production Gibsons.
    But, feature poly finshes. Some model feature a lacquer top finish. Still poly on the neck, back, and sides.

If you want to get into Historic territory, then you have to look at the ESP/Navigator series.
    http://www.espguitars.co.jp/index2.html

Another choice is the Tokai LS-320.

But, then your spending as much as a Historic.

Neither pops up on ebay too often.

Other MIJ replicas to consider instead of a production Gibson.
    Greco
    Burny
    Orville
    Epiphone Japan
    Epiphone Elite/Elitist

As well as 70's and 80's Yamaha, Ibanez, and Aria Pro replicas.

There is also Diodati guitars.
    http://home.comcast.net/~arkir/diodati.html
    MIJ.
    But, sold here in the states by Pete Diodati in N.H.
    Not exact replicas.
    Different headstock (PRSish).
    Different horn.(Heritage styled)
    I own two of them and am quite happy with them.

19. 4nkam

4nkam Member

I'm still quite happy with mine, although sometimes I do wish it had jumbo frets.

[​IMG]

mJ

20. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I've played a couple of Edwards guitars - a White Custom with a HUGE neck and a Jimmy Page, through my rig, and even gigged with the Page once - and while they are nice guitars...you get what you pay for. For the price I would buy a used Heritage for a grand and be on a whole 'nother level.