Edwards LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HeeHaw, May 21, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Decent quality for the money?

2. AlexF

AlexF Member

Very very decent quality for the money. I play one by choice just because it works better than any other 'Paul I can find without going to daft money Historics.
    Al

3. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I think so. I recently acquired an Edwards Jimmy Page relic, and I like it better than the last two Les Paul Standards that I had (one of which just would not stay in tune and the other was too heavy and just sounded dead). This one sustains forever and plays great.

Construction wise, it has a laminated flamed maple top with a nitro finish. They use the long neck tenon like a Gibson Historic. The build quality is on par with the Gibson standards, and some would argue that it is better because of the long neck tenon. The JP model has a one piece mahogany body with weight relief holes (just like a Gibson Standard). The fretwok is great, the pickups are decent (Duncan JB bridge and 59 neck), and they use Gotoh hardware.

It could use a few minor improvements: a bone nut, and better pots and caps. I'll probably end up swapping out the Duncan pickups (the 59 bridge is a bit too hot for me) but I would end up swapping out pickups on a Gibson too so that's a non-factor when evaluating costs.

Overall it's on par with a Standard for a lot less money. I can not speak as to how consistent they are since this is the only one I have ever played. My experience has been good, but YMMV....

4. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

I'll back up Eric, I have an '05 and it's great. Very warm and lively tone unplugged, plus it can scream with the JB in the bridge. I picked it up slightly used for $600... but they're still a great bargain even at full price.

5. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

A friend has two (along with a Gibson LP 1968, with humbuckers added). I have played one of his two Edwards and can confirm that based on that example, they seem to be a great bang for the buck alternative to a Gibby.

Definately worth checking out.

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I had one of the Page models (search, I did a review). Really liked the guitar, may go back in that direction.
    Greg

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

OK. Who is the best online dealer?

8. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

9. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've bought 2-3 guitars from the ebay guy "mijsixstringkatana" and had excellent experiences. I believe Ishibashi can order them for you as well, but you may not get a look at the top or know the weight before hand.

10. AlexF

AlexF Member

I've also had quality service from Katana on a couple of occasions. I've also used Hisashi (2 or 3 times) and others of the ebay japanese vendors with no problems.
    Al

11. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I too have one of the Page relics, but without the Super Circuit switching setup (just the regular ol' 3-way & standard pots) and I definitely 2nd what others are saying. It's a fantastic guitar as-is and factoring in the price (including shipping from Japan to the US) it's an amazing bargain. One quick correction to above posts though: I believe the bridge pickup they use is a Duncan Custom and not a JB so it's a bit hotter.

Anyway, overall quality is top notch and I'd honestly put it up against almost any current production Gibson (Standard, Historic, CS) other than some of the high end CS models. Granted, it may not have the most exotic woods or offer any options (neck carve, pu choice, et cetera) from the factory, but at this price point there's little to complain about. The neck joint really shocked me when I first saw it...it's definitely a long tenon which is a great feature, but even better is how incredibly tight fitting it is. Maybe I recieved an extra special one, but man it's awesome. Mine is begging for some heavier strings (I think it came with 10's; stockers were great though; lasted for a long time) and I currently have it strung with DR 10's which are nice.

Edwards sells several models which I guess are limited production editions such as the Page LP that they don't have on their sight, but you'll be able to find them online different places and most vendors can order them for ya. I bought mine through Ishibashi and ended up saving several hundred bucks that way instead of going through eBay, but they had to order it and it took several weeks for them to get it before shipping it to me. I was in no hurry so I didn't mind, but if you don't want to wait then eBay would be the way to go. Also as gkelm says you won't be able to get a look at it beforehand and the tops do vary as you'd expect.

Anyway, I have a bunch of pics of mine uploaded here that you can check out if you want. I tried to get some pics of the pickup cavities to show the top wood, but they didn't turn out very good. Nice thick maple top just like a Gibby with the flame veneer on top (although I couldn't really see it so who knows):

http://community.webshots.com/album/473711002WinYrl

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks EunosFD...If I return to an Edwards I'll try Ishibashi. I've bought from them before and had great service. In fact, when I was in Tokyo a couple summers ago, it was impossible to find less than excellent service anywhere. :)

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Thanks guys. I did pull the trigger on an R7 historic upgraded with super pots and WCR pickups. I will always live with the fact that I could of had four Edwards LP's for what I paid on the goldtop.:crazyguy

14. AlexF

AlexF Member

Quote "I believe the bridge pickup they use is a Duncan Custom and not a JB so it's a bit hotter."

The standard delivery is 59 neck JB bridge, but I gather they can be custom ordered with any duncans. I have seen them with 59 bridge 59 neck pups on a few occasions.
    Al

15. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

See if we help you next time.. ;)

Congrats on the R7. FWIW, I went from Classics to Historics (3 R0s) to the Edwards, and was very pleased. Then got itchy, sold the Edwards, another R0 has come and gone. Now what? Not ony full circle, I go in circles. :roll

16. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Yeah but....yeah but....yeah but......

.....It's an R7.:worried :D

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I think he was refering specifically to the Page model:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/ikebe/443979/520944/

But you're right, the other Edwards LPs vary in pickup offereings.

18. AlexF

AlexF Member

apologies, that one got by me :jo
    Al

19. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Read about these being really well done but can't remember the name--starts with a G but not Greco--anyone?

20. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Grassroots? I think they are the ESP Chinese line?