Edwards or Tokai Les Pauls? either better than the other.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sparkle**, Sep 8, 2006.

1. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Edwards or Tokai Les Pauls? either better than the other.

This is a continuate of my other Edwards post....

Tokai or Edwards either "that much better" than the other?

I am on the fence with my LP custom historic...as I have been using my PRS CU22 90% of the time....

2. AlexF

AlexF Member

for one, i'm going to come right off the fence and state that i strongly suspect that the edwards and japanese tokai copies are out of the same factory. they look the same, feel the same and share the same specs and features. the final giveaway is the truss rod cover which is unique to both. if they were independent, why would they go to such trouble to produce such accurate copies, then select THE SAME different truss rod cover?? just my observation.
    Al

3. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

If you notice on the Tokai headstock the truss rod cover is a 2-bolt design just like a Gibson, but the Edwards truss rod cover is a one-bolt design. On the Edwards' they don't have any wood underneath the bottom of the trc near the nut so there is nowhere to put a screw and thus a Gibson trc won't work (believe me I tried). So, I don't believe they're made in the same factory and as such aren't made exactly the same. However, it's tough to find correct info about such things so who knows what the real story is. Heck, word has it that CIJ Fenders may very well be made in the Tokai factory, but only the companies know for sure afaik.

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

I've played both and own 2 Tokai Love Rocks. The only Edwards I played was the Jimmy Page Model and although I liked the weight (approx 7 lbs) I didn't think it was worth what the seller was asking ($1,500). Both my Tokai's play and sound great. I thought the only weakness was the pickups and some of the wiring, but these can easily be replaced. Awsome geetars for the $...

-KD

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Based on my limited experience with Tokai (and mega experience selling Gibson in MI retail) mid 80s Tokai are quite nice.

6. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

If Tokai...what model numbers are to look for? Does it matter when they were made?

7. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Both ESP and Tokai have their own factories, and since it would be much cheaper to produce something in your own factor rather than OEM it I don't think they're the same. Both excellent though, with Tokais reaching into the high end realm that Edwards reserves for their Navigator brand. At mid level and under they're probably comparable.

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

Out of the new Tokais and Edwards guitars, I'd go with ESP/Edwards simply because they come with better pickups. Sadly ESP/Edwards doesn't offer a plain top model but Tokai does.

9. AlexF

AlexF Member

Maybe its a europe thing, but the new tokais's i've played here are identical in truss rod cover arrangement to the edwards i own.
    Al

10. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Not sure why the seller would be asking $1500 for the JP relic. You can buy a new Edwards JP Relic off eBay for about $1050 shipped to the US. I got mine used for much less and it's a great guitar. No need to change the pickups in the Edwards unless you just want to go with something different. I thought the Duncans in there sounded great, although I did put in some WCR's that I had.

I can't compare to Tokai, because I have never played one, but I like the Edwards a LOT better than the three Gibson USA LP Standards that I owned.

11. whitehall

whitehall Member

I've owned both of them . There is no " better" . It's like blonde or brunette, which is better ? Both Tokai and Edwards (ESP) make lots of different LP copies that you will probably never get to play beforehand if you live in the USA. So you have to do your homework and then you take your chances. The numbers on the MIJ Tokai denote price in yen. LS85+ 85,000 Yen and so on. For the most part. With Tokai , mis and dis information abound. I had 2 MIJ Tokais an LS85 and a LS 95. I liked the 95 (2006) big neck , big frets, good pups, but sold it because this years run came in at 10 freaking lbs. I like my Ed- ELP85SD- It's nothing at all like the Tokai or my Gibsons. .. 7.5 lbs, dished top, real duncans, nice neck profile, very rounded. I think of the ED as a modern interpetation of the les paul. Almost ALL the 2000 up MIJ Lp copies under $750 have veneer tops. And are poly. This is not a bad thing. They also don't come with hard cases. If I were buying another Edwards I would move up to the LT series- lacquer touch- just because of the lacquer. If I were buying anothen Tokai I would go up to the Ls 120 and above range. Shipping from Japan will run you about $110.00.