Edwards pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soundhound, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'm thinking about getting an Edwards E-LP-98LTS from ishibashi. My interest is for a Robben Ford-y style guitar for bluesy, slightly overdriven tones. I've heard some reports that the pickups that come with this guitar are really more for rock. They are:

FRONT PU SeymourDuncan SH-1n
    REAR PU SeymourDuncan SH-4

Anyone use this guitar with these pups for more Ford-ish tones, or am I going to want to replace them? (which would be okay with me, I suppose...lots of great options out there I would imagine...)

thanks!

2. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I recently ordered an E-LP-130 LTS RE because it had SD Antiquity pickups, which from what I have read are unwaxed, and give a 'brighter' tone, but I have never heard or played the guitar so my decision was based upon the excellent comments on this forum.

The guitar is stuck in customs let you know when I finally get it!

3. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Interesting. Hmmm, where are you ordering from, if I might ask? I don't see that guitar on the ishibashi site.

4. JLee

JLee Member

If you get a 130 LTS/RE, or any Edwards for that matter, try and buy a heavier one. Mine weighs in at 7.5 pounds and it sounds as light and airy as it feels. A little too light and airy. Lacks the authority and low end of my Tokai LS200. Amazing workmanship and fantastic looking guitar, but with all of the money I am now spending on upgrades trying to fatten it up, I could have waited and bought a used Navigator or even a new Baccus. I previously owned a Edwards E-LP 85SD that weighed 7.5 pounds and had similar issues. I seem to be in the minority, but I also seemed to have ended up with lighter Edwards than most. I bought mine off Ebay from Katana Guitars. He's been a long time seller on Ebay and is great to deal with.

5. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

i had one of the nitro lp's with the jb/59 (same pickups as the op said) setup and it was straight up 80's cock rock. the 59 in the neck can pull off clean to blues but the jb is high output and a tad on the bright side and IMO it functions better with gain. even though in the middle pos you can get some descent tones out it i had to adjust the tone control.

even if you swap pickups youll still have a guitar under a grand that will compete with a G brand lp.

oh and my edwards weighed in at 8lbs even

6. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Is the jb/59 the one their specs refer to as the SH4?

7. sleis

sleis Member

Just went through swapping out the electronics, but kept the pickups on my 98-lps. You get what you would expect out of those pickups, JB/59. You can play with the pickup height as well to get a little more variance out of it. Not really limited to the 80s thing but it can do it.

Do switch out the pots and caps it makes a pretty big difference. The neck is pretty warm, and dialing back the tone a bit you will probably get what you are looking for. I rewired it for the volume pots to be independent and change each pup instead of either being a master which is how it came on mine. I put in Hovlands and couldn't be happier. I was looking for a flexible LP that would get me into a lot of different tone options and I am very happy with how it turned out.

8. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks Sleis. Sounds like it could do the trick for me. If the pups are too Spinal Tap, I could always swap them out...

9. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Katana guitars on Ebay.

Still stuck in Customs!

10. sleis

sleis Member

Ishibashi for mine. If you email them and ask, they will give you a price and a time for any of the Edwards. Mine shipped the Saturday before New Years, and was delivered on the 2nd. It hit customs Monday AM, and then was in Tucson Tuesday night.

11. Slideman

Slideman Member

I ordered from katana as well, but I had mine within 3 business days.

12. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Forgive my ignorance here, but surely the Chambered Les Paul being sold by Gibson now are trying to give you the correct tone whilst being lighter.