Effect of speakers/cabinet on sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Retarius, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Retarius

Retarius Member

While poking around on Youtube I saw an interesting clip that compares the Epiphone valve Jr 1x12 cabinet to the Blackheart Little Giant 1x12 cabinet. Both cabinets were being driven by the same Orange TT head. I was really surprised at the difference in sound. In a different clip, the same guy compared the full setups - Epiphone valve Jr head and cabinet with the Blackheart Little Giant head and cabinet. I thought the differences in sound both times were pretty similar - leading me to conclude that it was mostly the cabinet that was contributing to the difference in tone rather than the head. Epiphone sounded a little more even and warmer, while Blackheart sounded more up-front with better bass and scooped mids.

So my question really goes to how changes from one cabinet to the next tends to affect sound - number of speakers, size of drivers, open back vs closed back, the type of driver (i.e. Eminence Lady Luck in valve Jr vs Eminence Blackheart in the Blackheart)? I'm not so concerned with volume as I am with tone, so would prefer to use a 1x12 if I can get great tones out of it. BTW, I did prefer the valve Jr cabinet more vintage sound to the Blackheart's more modern sound.

I have my eye on the Egnater Rebel when it comes out in a month or so, and was looking at picking up a used valve Jr cabinet as a starting point for a rig.

Retarius

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Both the speakers and the cabinet itself can have a dramatic effect on tone. It is the result of the combination of the two which you actually hear as the overall tone from the cab.
    I assume in the youtube comparison you describe, that the different cabs also had different speakers ?

3. Retarius

Retarius Member

Yes (I think). The Epiphone had a Eminence "Lady Luck" speaker and the Blackheart had an Eminence "Blackheart" speaker - both are OEM speakers by Eminence. Hard to tell how they compare to standard Eminence speakers - the Eminence site only lists specs etc for their standard speakers, and no information for OEM speakers that Eminence produces.

Retarius

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

Someone awhile back listed, by percentage, the impact of various components on tone including speaker, cab, tubes, etc. Speaker and cab were at the top of the list IIRC.

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

Retarius, I think you are simply asking too many questions at one time to get a good response here.
    I think the bottom line is that cab and speaker choice can both be hugely influential on your final tone, almost as much as the amp itself, IMO. Different speakers, for example, can have incredibly different frequency responses. Have a listen to some of these speaker soundclips (done by Jim at Southbay Ampworks), if you want to hear lots of different speakers through the same rig - http://www.box.net/shared/palfc0jz7q/rss.xml

I have finally settled on playing 4x12's always (where I possibly can). I have found I could not replicate the tone of a 4x12 with a 212 or a 112. There is a sheer depth and "bigness" to the tone of a 4x12 which I couldn't seem to get any other way. Yes, I agree that they are a PITA to transport around but, to me, it's worth it.