1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Effect Pedal to Buy When You Don't Need One But You Have a Spare Spot on Your Board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

and the GAS train kepta rollin all night long! I have an open spot on my pedalboard that's about the size of an MXR flanger pedal. I don't "need" any pedal but I've got this space. Now I could just spread my pedals out a bit but what fun is that. I have all the OD/boost/fuzz I need. I have a wah, phaser/vibe and a delay. I really am happy with my setup but what fun thing could I add. I've had a compressor, didn't need it. I used to own a ZVex Lo Fi Loop Junky, just wasn't for me although I'm rethinking that again! I've tried the Seek Wah, Seek Trem and Ooh Wah, I couldn't really get the hang of them and seemed really limited use. I don't see myself as a chorus guy so my thoughts are:

1. Save your money son, spread out the current pedals
    2. Look into Robotalk or Keeley Novawah LE although I can't see how i'd get any more use out of those than I would the ZVex Seek and Ooh series.
    3. MXR Flanger. I am a bit of a metalhead and big EVH fan, I can see a flanger getting some use but really not much in the grand scheme of things.
    4. Save your money son and apply to something more useful like the custom Studio Slips gig bag I priced out for my Pedaltrain2 with a padded external pocket to slip my Koch Pedaltone into.:dude

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Id say 1, but then Im really wanting a vibrato, and you don't have one, so If i were to recommend a pedal, get a vibrato! =)

3. erksin

erksin Member

A good EQ...

4. mr. meeks

mr. meeks Member

how bout a tuner? not very fun, but useful

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

Octavia, Tremolo, Leslie switcher for the new head pushing the Leslie cab!!! :)

6. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Yessir! StroboStomp would do nicely :)

7. dw1003

dw1003 Member

BBE Sonic Stomp... it'll blow your mind!

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Another pedalboard...your current one is way too small :D

9. Josh O

Josh O Member

I forgot to mention I do have a Strobostomp already. For some reason, my mind is heading towards an Axess Buffer but your guys suggestions are great ones. And yes Stressfest, my pedalboard is too small!!!! :)

10. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

ditto Octavia and Tremelo!

11. erksin

erksin Member

If you're needing a buffer - get the MDEQ. I have both the Axess and the MDEQ - unless you want the splitting capability, the MDEQ's buffer sounds just as good as the Axess IMO plus you get a killer EQ thrown in...

12. Josh O

Josh O Member

Just checked out the MDEQ on the Antelope FX website. I never really have given EQ a thought since I have EQ control up the yinger between my amp and my dirt pedals, especially my Keeley modded Boss MT-2 but I'm very intrigued by the clean boost capability with the added benefit of a good buffer.

13. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

My personal lust right now is for an MXR Flanger, but it is similar to a phase shifter. Work with what you have for a while, and see if you can't be happy saving money and fighting GAS!

14. $uperpuma

$uperpuma Member

just built an octavia...its a SICK fuzz! I too would have to vote Tremolo...4MS Tremulus Lune being my favorite

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Discumbobulator envelope filter/auto wah from Emma is great.

I like the KR Doubler, octavia is fun. Just got a Guyatone Flip VT-X tremolo pedal with a 12AX7 in it... sounds really nice.

16. zzz

zzz Member

Just put any pedal that you've got laying around that you don't use. I know I've got a few of those. And I'm sure you'll be replacing it if you keep hanging around here! I envy you for feeling that way.

17. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I would have to say my ZVex Ooh Wah 2!! It is a very cool sounding effect but certainly a pedal that you would use sparingly but just brings alot of mojo to any ambiance tone that you are doing & particularly works well with chorus & especially delay!!

The Ooh Wah 2 is not always on my board BUT when I want to add some textures to my tone I do like using this pedal!!

18. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

+1 here for the Sonic Stomp. You would think my amp has been cured of a cold...it makes the dynamic even more so

19. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i really want a CC2 so i don't have to take anything but that and a wah to practice/jam sessions. won't ever create enough room for it, though, but that's the only pedal i really want now.

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Pitch shifter! Go for the Boss PS-5. I was in the exact same situation as you, and since I can't help but smile every time I hear Radiohead/Muse/Tom Morello use theirs, I just had to stick that thing on. And with the lord as my witness, I will someday actually use it in a song!