effect pedals and songs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gidster, May 16, 2008.

1. joel

joel Member

Did you check out gidster's profile? His name in real-life is David Gilmour. He just dropped by for a laugh. The joke's on us!

2. darrelherbert

darrelherbert Member

Check out the Pro Guitar Shop videos on YouTube http://youtube.com/user/ProGuitarShopDemos. That guy rules and you'll get an idea of what each type of effect is supposed to do. Hell, I've been playing for 24 years (never been much of an effects guy) and I learned a lot!

3. gidster

gidster Member

thanks everyone for your help, sorry if it was a silly question.

dont get me wrong i am fiddling about with it and trying all the sounds i just didnt know if a song had a specific setting.

the music im into and like to learn to play is

the kings of leon, guns and roses,counting crows,black crows,emotional fish. it varys really. i take it the zooms not a very good pedel then, it cost me £100 :eek:

cheers guys.

4. Scorpyo

Scorpyo Member

As a start you might join the Zoom users forums and browse the patch exchange threads.
    Usually there are artist sound patches and song references
    cheers

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

gid:

There is a great deal of info in the Guitar World mags, and their like. When they analyze a song, they often include amp/effects settings. I remember seeing one mag that included settings for a modeling preamp like a zoom.

Also the forum over at zoom will be a great resource.

Asking more specific questions is helpful not only because the answers are more specific, but then you get further into a song.

Pick a song you love, and find out everything you can about that song or player.

6. gidster

gidster Member

thanks mate ill look out for the mag , have you got a link to the zoom forums as i cant seem to find it.

cheers

7. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

ive been playing 5 years and I STILL ask similar questions...sometimes its fun to take someone elses settings or ideas and run with it...Ive been bugging tgp'ers about their eq's for a while now...;)

8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I don't own a Zoom of any sort, but I've played around with a few over the years. I would not say that they are bad pedals at all, and a decent multi-effects is probably a good start for where you are in your relationship with guitar. People on this forum tend to be *very* picky about their pedals, but don't let that lead you astray at the moment. You can get a lot of sounds out of your Zoom and then work up to buying dedicated effects pedals for specific sounds later if you feel the need. It sounds like most of the bands you like are basically classic/hard rock bands, so you'll probably want to start out tweaking the amp models, distortion and fuzz sounds in your Zoom.

When and if you decide you want to move to dedicated pedals, you can always post a quick clip of a similar sound you like on the Zoom and then we can all argue about the best pedal to improve upon that sound. :crazy

I did a quick search for a Zoom forum and didn't find one. Hopefully someone else here will know of one.

9. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

15 and ditto.

10. gidster

gidster Member

anyone know where i can find the zoom effects pedal forum, it wouild be really handy for me.

cheers

11. Scorpyo

Scorpyo Member

google search "zoom patches" there are tons of sites around

12. gidster

gidster Member

13. Python

Python Member

What a dick!

14. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member