Effector 13 Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamCam, May 23, 2006.

1. JamCam

JamCam Member

Great Pedals!
    Colorful, clear, and absolutely insane at times!
    Anyone Have any experience with these pedals? I've heard some sonud clips and read great reviews... too bad I can't actualy try out any...
    but still, I'm blown away at their sound, especially the graet price tag they come equipped with...

comments anyone?

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Just out of curisoity, if you haven't heard them and have no experience with them...why would you be blown away by their sound?

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I appreciate you posting that Leon! I was going to post the same thing, but too many of my posts are facetious like that, so I'm glad you took the step. I was also going to ask if they worked for Effector13, as it's the 2nd post , almost exactly like this in 2 days. Doesn't matter to me though ,but I've never been blown away by any pedal that I've never heard! :roll

4. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

Read closely guys, he said:

"I've heard some sonud clips "

He heard clips, why's everyone gotta start getting all squirrelly on the guy? Relax fellas.

5. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

My E13 improbability drive (discontinued) just might be my favorite pedal in my whole arsenal of around 45 pedals.

Where i have it set, it sounds basically like a bowed (i.e. NO attack) dripping backwards guitar, almost like a fuzz violin. i love it. so musical, so versatile. i really lucked out with that pedal.

I've had nothing but good luck with E13 pedals. they work exactly as advertised, imo. I also have the NoFi yellow, NoFi brown, and one of the PALthegiraffe circuit bent DOD flangers. I know the PAL is not E13 per se, but i would put that nasty little flanger in my top 5 pedals as well probably. Think "Jet Airplane goes around the bend, then comes circling back about 15 seconds later. Totally awesome.

6. Antero

Antero Member

I drooled over the clips for a long time before I bought my Soda Meiser (get the pun?).

On the VFM mode, it sounds like the most twisted, sick, terrifying Muff ever - the Intensity knob makes everything hairier and nastier and brings out the upper octave. The fuzz is half a mile thick - I turn this on and suddenly THE WORLD IS FUZZ. I don't have the desire for a real muff/Skreddy/ICBM anymore - it's not exactly the same, can't sustain forever (eventually the gate kicks in and it cuts off, though a compressor would take care of that), but it covers a huge chunk of the same ground so, so well that I just can't justify a regular muff.

On the Chaos mode, playing normally gives sick squelchy notes. This is not terribly exciting; what IS fun is the way it oscillates, so that if you fret notes without playing they sustain forever until they break down into a wall of noise and chaos.

It's not subtle, it's not "pristine" or "transparent" or whatever the hell the tone gurus are always on about. That stuff is boring anyhow. This is unpredictable and deranged and about as subtle as a jump kick to the head. Every time I show someone how it sounds, they either say "HELL YEAH!" or stare at me in horror... both of which are perfectly desireable reactions, in my world.

Suffice to say, I love this pedal more than any other I've played. It's even sicker than my friend's ZVex Woolly Mammoth, which impressive. She's definitely getting a lot more of my business in the future.

7. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

Oh yeah, the NoFi yellow is highly recommended. Think "the nastiest, dirtiest bee buzzing up into your ear and scrambling your brain".

8. ck3

ck3 Member

Effector 13 pedals that I have owned/tried (in chronologiocal order):

Disaster Fuzz (oscillating fuzz)
    Noise Floor (both VFMs and NoFis in one pedal)
    Torn's Peaker (my favorite out of the lot-in retrospect)
    Heavily-Modded VFM Harsh (flip switches for both NoFi types)
    Karaoke Party (clean boost that became a clipping boost at higher levels)
    Soda Might (VFM Harsh + NoFi Chaos)

Most of the pedals that I played through had a similar overall tonality, but enough subtle differences between them to be markeable as distinct products. Devi stands behind all of her products and has provided consistent, quality service during the times that I have dealt with her. The "Effector 13 sound" can definitely be an acquired taste and is mainly recommended for those who are more daring in their musical endeavors.

9. JamCam

JamCam Member

tu chez. open yer peepers. heard sound clips and have heard them played live.

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I think you mean touche', unless we're all going to your house. ;)

I've got a Torn's Peaker, which I picked up hoping to cop, at least, some nasty Link Wray-on-amphetamines sounds. Which it does very well, I might add. Nothing like taking a nice, rich-toned tube amp & reducing it to a shredded-speaker pile of raspy filth. With attitude.

At high settings, the fuzz becomes very square wave synth-like. Also, very, very LOUD.

The fuzz doesn't transition smoothly from clean(ish) to fuzz. That can be a good or bad thing, depending on your needs.

I've been curious about some of the other pedals, but I can't exactly figure out how I'd use them. But I want to, just because I think that the company's cool, and I dig the bucking the "pristine" trend (although clean has its place -- I love the sound of a Jazzmaster through a blackface Fender, after all.)

11. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

Me, I love the sound of a Jazzmaster through a E13 No-Fi, among others... I also have a VFM and the next one is going to be a Torn's Peaker.

Still, quite exactly my thoughts, there. Those pedals might not be that useful, wouldn't really play them all the time. Then, I currently have 12 pedals on my board, 5 of them get used on 2 songs per set, maximum. I like to have the option of going nuts in various ways (my favourite thing of late is quick & deep chorus to No-Fi to another fuzz to two delays to Tap-A-Whirl tremolo...).

12. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Can the Torn's Peaker do the Steve Albini sound? I read somewhere that the Soda Meiser can but from the clips it seems that the TP may be able to do his sound also.

13. somedude

somedude Member

I've had a few over the years.....

- Truly Beautiful Disaster
    - Truly Beautiful Super Tri-Fuzz
    - Blue Button Tremolo
    - Sacred Fuzz
    - No-Fi (original)

14. drolling

drolling Member

E13 is coming from such a distant galaxy that I didn't even realize that my Truly Beautiful Disaster wasn't working 'right' for about 6 months.. I simply had no reference points to make a comparison, but after posting some questions on their forum and exchanging e-mails w/Devi, I sent it down to Texas for a checkup.

Devi's a real pleasure to deal with, and got the pedal back to me in no time at all - and it's now more wild, crazy and unpredictable than ever.

It plays itself now, altho' it will produce something akin to a tradtional fuzztone at 'conservative' settings.

The feedback loop will take the most boring, run-of-the-mill pedals and hand you back unimaginable insanity.

I wouldn't take it to a smooth jazz gig, but working w/it's proving to be an ear-opening experience.

15. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I just can't believe anything I read about Effector13 with him raffling off a free pedal to whomever starts a thread on music sites about how great his pedals are.

16. dylon

dylon Member

Exactly, there happens to be a lot of positive press about E13 sprung from the void suddenly.

17. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

"go figure"??????? Let's see, so they almost bribe people to say good things about their products by offering a chance a winning free product, and then they wonder why moderators of boards (like this one) are upset? I guess some folks don't understand the value or benefit of impartial, objective reviews.
    [/FONT]

18. drolling

drolling Member

interesting.. I actually joined the forums at e13 to post some questions, but I missed the stuff about free pedals.

They're definitely very strange effects - not for everyone, that's for sure. But I paid real cash money for my TBD..

One of my guitarist buddies was here last night, and he's a real connoisseur of fuzz pedals. His comment; "Are you sure it's supposed to sound like this?"

I told him that it had been working, more or less, like a normal fuzz till I sent it down to Texas for a tune-up - He still couldn't believe that anyone would deliberately design something that sounds like the Truly Beautiful Disaster, so I showed him the little note that Devi included with the *repaired* pedal.. He just kinda went :confused: :rolleyes:.

So Devi, if you're reading this, do I win something?

19. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I have to admire the balls (or is that guts? ;) ) of Kim & Devi in running that promo. That doesn't keep it from being frustrating, because how do you trust someone's word? But, then, how do you trust someone's word?

That aside, I never heard about the promo until I saw it here. And the promo's over now, so we can go back to trusting anonymous online reviewers just as much as before. Heh.

20. Effector 13

Effector 13 Member

:rotflmao