Effectrode Blackbird vs Kingsley Squire

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Michael_V, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I just picked up a Torpedo CAB and hope to be able to go ampless. I am replacing a Matchless Baby and Two Rock Jet. Already picked up a Kingsley Squire AC and a Squire D-version. Wondering how the Blackbird compares (with the Torpedo) for convincing tube tone (I know it is based on the BF amps). Anyone compare these two? I want real tube tone without the amp. Thanks!

2. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

3. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

Subscribed as well and excellent post! I'm interested in knowing too. BTW the Torpedo Cab is incredible - isn't it? Not only the cab stuff but the power amp sims are so natural sounding.

4. MattAnt

Really intrigued by the torpedo, particularly with that jaw dropping pic floating around of the Kingsley/Strymon/Torpedo monster board. I think I love my amp too much though....

5. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

So do I! However, a new apartment life is coming. I'd be very interested to hear the answers to the OP's question, too.

I'm planning - Guitar - Pedals - Squire BF - Torpedo Cab.

6. Michael_V

Well, I shall soon have an answer. Tried the Kingsley Squire AC, a Squire D is on the way, and I just ordered a Blackbird...

7. randombastage

randombastage Member

Try some OwnHammer IR's, get the studio mix type of the speaker and cab combination you think you would like.
    I have a Torpedo CAB and use it extensively for both modelers and real amps and although the TwoNotes speaker cabs are good I usually end up with third party IR's as the 'just right' choice. Probably around 75% of the time I'm using OwnHammer stuff.

You lose the ability to move the mic around but a 'just right' IR and the Torpedo's EQ and Power Amp modeling is all you need.

8. Michael_V

Good advice. I'll have to learn the remote software and pick up some Ownhammer IRs. I am almost positive the problem I was having was to do with not being able to push the Squire like a real amp and that's important to me. Seems like the Blackbird is truly an full guitar preamp in pedal form so fingers crossed. I wish it were voiced like a Vox or Dumble but I did play Fender amps for many years (years ago) and those always had great tone so....

I just got the shipping notice on the Blackbird! Both Squires will hit the emporium later tonight.

9. 79sg

79sg Member

I have the Blackbird v1 and use it all the time with the Torpedo CAB. It's a great combination (IMO). Two-Notes recommends that you put your delay and reverb AFTER the CAB. I've had great results doing this as well. You can find that info on their site or their forum.

10. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Hi guys,

I'm the one with the big Kingsley/Torpedo CAB/Strymon board.

If you get the Dumble style Squire, I highly suggest you downloading the Sig TR65 (Two Rock 2x12) cab IR from the La Boutique store in the Two Notes Remote software. I use it with the Condenser 87 mic at distance: 10, center 0. It is the best dumble style cabinet that I have played through.

For Vox type sounds, I use my Squire AC (AC30 top boost preamp) with the Torpedo CAB's Voice 65 setting or the Feline with the Ribbon 160 mic at distance: 10, center: 0.

Let us know your thoughts on the Effectrode Blackbird!

Sloppyfingers likes this.
  11. no-bo

no-bo Member

nothing but good things to say about kingsley. i know, i hate low detail posts myself, but really, really like these guys.

12. Michael_V

How do you find your Squires take pedals? That's my main complaint so far. Without pedals, the Squire plus torpedo sounds phenomenal!

13. ipm

ipm Member

I wonder how does it sound when Rat (like) pushes Squire TB into a Torpedo CAB?

14. Michael_V

Mine did not take any dirt pedals very well. Maybe it's how I have it set up (detailed in my first post)? I don't know. It got harsher not richer in harmonics when even lightly pushed. That's got to be the Squire preamp not the power amp sim since I had the dbs set reasonably low (between 10-20). The cleans were very good, though.

15. Michael_V

Man, I just stumbled across the Matchless Hotbox III. Since my amp is a Matchless, this might just be the ticket. Dang it, never ends haha!

16. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

I use a Kingsley Harlot into my Kingsley Squire and it sounds great. No problems at all.

17. Michael_V

I have serious unrelenting GAS now.... What's the best Matchless cab IR?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  18. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

I've owned the Kingsley Jester, and I'm currently running a Blackbird into the Torpedo Cab. All are great pedals to be sure, but I'm really enjoying the Blackbird/Torpedo CAB combo.

One beautiful feature is the versatility of the Torpedo CAB and its amp/line level output. When I'm at home, I'll just run

Blackbird into Torpedo CAB into Hermida Reverb into Tungsten Mosaic

Since the Torpedo CAB can cut from 0dB all the way to mute, I can finally get some very pleasing slight breakup sounds at "4 AM in the morning" levels.

I know that not the usual use, but it works wonderfully.

19. Michael_V

Ok, the Torpedo is here to stay. I'm going to install the remote software today and learn how to get the most of it. The variable is the preamp.

In the next two weeks, I will try with the Torpedo:
    Squire AC
    Squire D
    Effectrode Blackbird
    Matchless Hotbox III (which I just ordered!)

While I have no doubt the Blackbird will sound amazing, I have used Matchless amps for the last five years and am pretty amped about trying the Hotbox III... Fingers crossed at least one of these will be magic!

Can anyone point me toward some really great Matchless cab IRs?

[​IMG]

20. MattAnt

Hoping for epic demos on all of these :p