Effectrode Fire Bottle

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grady, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

I love boost pedals.

Has anyone compared the Fire Bottle with any other boost pedal? i.e. Klon, Klon KTR, or any other Klones?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. Grady

3. Grady

Hey Dave thanks for the link.......but there is no comparisons to any of the Klon/Klones, as I mentioned in my first post.
    I've done the research on the Fire Bottle. I would like to know what someone here thought of it in comparison to the other boost pedals.

4. clamboy

clamboy Member

Hey Grady. I don't use the Firebottle as a boost pedal but I still believe my experience is worth sharing with you. I leave it on all the time, first in line, at unity gain. That's because it makes everything after it, with the exception of possibly my germanium fuzz face, sound better. And I went over to a friend's house to jam and I didn't want to lug my amp and he had a 2 x 12 Crate solid state amp there. The Firebottle made that amp sound good at unity gain, so you can imagine what it does in front of a good tube amp. I love my firebottle.

5. 79sg

79sg Member

I have had the Fire Bottle for quite some time and also have a Soul Food. The Fire Bottle remains on my board and it is never turned off. The Soul Food is in its box and although I enjoy using it and like what it does it's not like the Fire Bottle. As clamboy said it is left on all the time because once you turn it off everything changes and you will click it back on immediately. I think I'd refer to the pedal as a tone enhancer vs a boost although I hit the front of the amp a bit above unity gain.

6. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

I'm interested in this pedal as well.

Hope not too off topic...
    But does the Fire Bottle take pedals well going into it? Like a boost or Klon type OD pushing it.

7. 79sg

79sg Member

The Fire Bottle is first in line for me and was designed to be in this position.

8. Grady

Have you run a fuzz after the Fire Bottle?

I already have a few tone enhancers in my chain. I have the Boost side of the Kingsley Jester in the middle of my chain, and the ClinchFX EP-PRE in front of the delays. They are on all the time.
    The Klon KTR is in the front.....use it mostly as a solo boost. But I've been known to keep it on probably a lot more than I should. lol
    I don't know if the Fire Bottle will bring anything else to the table, but it does have my GAS pressure up.......:D

9. 79sg

79sg Member

I use an Effectrode Helios and Mercury Fuzz and have run them before and after the Fire Bottle with great success. Currently I have preferred to run my first 3 pedals as Fire Bottle > PC-2A compressor > Helios / Mercury. At times I will run the chain as Helios Fuzz > Fire Bottle > PC-2A > Mercury Fuzz. As I stated in a previous post I do have a Soul Food but it stays in its box as I prefer the Fire Bottle to a Klon type of pedal for boost / tone enhancement. YMMV. All this stuff is so subjective. Finally, as you can tell I'm a big fan of Effectrode pedals.

dani3l likes this.
  10. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Supporting Member

I have had both the FB and the Klon and they are just two fundamentally different pedals. Both are great at what they were designed for, but very different. My FB is first in the chain and I utilize it for two purposes. First is to boost other dirts/fuzz. Second is to simply enhance my clean tone. I have it set to add just a little fat/oomph to the signal. It is also remarkably quiet. The Klon added too much hiss for me personally. I ended up selling the Klon.

One of my favorite sounds is the FB boosting a Tube Driver set to low gain. It also makes an otherwise thin sounding germanium fuzz sound big and fat.

Once you start using the FB to enhance your clean tone, it is VERY difficult to turn it off.

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  11. Grady

Me too.....I also have the Helios/Mercury, and the Tube Vibe.
    Thanks for all the info.:aok

12. Grady

Thanks man......now it looks like I'm going to have to spend some money now.:D

13. Grady

Well curiosity got the best of me.........we all know it was truthfully GAS.
    Laid my money down ......should be next week.
    I'll see if the FB is a Klon killer, or if there is room for both of these on my board.

14. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Look forward to hearing your review and comparison

15. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

So, any feedback on this yet? Trying to decide if I want to get one.

16. 100JH

100JH Member

17. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

18. Grady

I got mine in last week and haven't had as much time to spend with it as I'd like.
    I placed in first in the chain, and have not moved it from that spot.
    It's a keeper, and looks like it's a pedal that will stay on all the time.
    Did it replace the Klon.......No.....not yet anyway.
    But I've moved the location of the Klon, and I'm only using it to boost my overdrives now.(Mostly for soloing)
    So I really need a little more time with it, but I'm really liking it.....a lot.

19. augur

augur Member

I'm wondering how it compares to an EP3 preamp type pedal like the ClinchFX I own.

I use a Jazzmaster 62' RI with Lollar pickups and I try to attenuate its highs, and bring a bit more middle frequencies thanks to ep preamp without using amp eq (Hiwatt 50) but it's not easy to find the right setting.