Effectrode Mercury Tube Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by oil, Jan 28, 2015.

1. oil

oil Supporting Member

Hello Mercury... Bye bye Cornish P1.... Nuff said.

They are now on the effectrode website for sale. Get one.

2. Carter88

Carter88 Silver Supporting Member

How does the sound differ from the Helios?

3. oil

oil Supporting Member

I have never played a Helios. I understand that the circuit is pretty much the same. Here is the text I have found on the differences:

We’re very close to shipping the new Mercury tube fuzz pedals. This will be the first time I’ve got my act together to ship out a new pedal design before Christmas – a serious milestone for Effectrode! The circuitry of the Mercury fuzz is very similar to the Helios fuzz, however the N.O.S. blackplate Philips 6112 tube in the Mercury is a much more efficient emitter of electrons than the 6N17 in the Helios. This is undoubtedly because of the huge engineering resources Philips/Mullard put into researching and developing the cathode coating materials in their tubes – their reputation for quality is legendary. What this means in terms of use is that this tube gives fatter, more robust sounding fuzz and some very nice tubey tones ideal for blues. I would put this little pedal against any top of of the range tube amp – it really sounds that good!

I am floored by this pedal. Great fun to play.

4. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a Helios and agree it's epic. Effectrode said that the difference between the two is very minimal and the only reason they stopped making the Helios was because he couldn't source more of its vacuum tube and he needed to hang on to a few in case Helios owners needed repair work in the future.

All that being said, the Helios is an incredible pedal. Given that the Mercury is almost the same thing I'm sure it sounds incredible too. If you haven't played one try and make it a priority because not only is it a completely original (and clear) fuzz tone, I use mine from everything from low-gain OD to over-the-top fuzz. It truly is that versatile.

I keep the fuzz on mine at only about 2/3rds and the volume at about 1/4 and can get everything from bluesy breakup to Pink Floyd distortion.....even works great on Hendrix. It's a top shelf fuzz; has been on my board for almost 2 years and can't see it coming off. I use that, an Analogman BC109, and a Bearfoot Candy Apple Red fuzz and feel blessed with my fuzz options.

It's a "10". Couldn't recommend it more highly. Everyone that has ever played mine has been suspicious b/c there hasn't ever been a tube fuzz with crystal diodes before and they all come away smiling saying "holy s***". :) Love it.

5. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Sounds nice, very amp like from the vids and clips... Seems like it actually covers light od to exploding amp tones?

How well does it clean up with the guitars volume knob?

6. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

Here's a copy of the email that I received from Sam Taylor, regarding the difference in the Mercury and Helios.
    I have a Helios, and love it.

Hi Henry,

The Mercury and Helios are based on exactly the same circuit. In fact, the 'Mercury' was just supposed to supersede the 'Helios', however it turned out the NOS USA tubes are quite different from the USSR tubes. Their characteristic curve is very different, so biasing in the circuit had to be altered... a lot. The resultant sound is thicker and more bluesy. Also, there is a (very) subtle low pass filter in the Mercury which can be adjusted on a trimpot which also make the sound fatter and smoother. The circuitry is very similar in the two pedals though.

Regards
    Sam Taylor
    www.effectrode.com

7. PurpleJesus

It cleans up soooooo well, and you can get to that perfect point where it is almost completely clean but each note, especially double-stops, have a little "hair" on them. Then, crank your volume (and I'm talking w/ a Strat) and it goes from that light OD tone to screaming, but incredibly clear, FUZZ!!! It's really hard to compare to other fuzzes b/c it's the only one setup with the tube and crystal diodes for clipping, but I'd say it's towards a Fuzz Face in terms of tone, but with more clarity if that makes any sense. You can still make it sound like the speakers are going to meltdown, but you never lose note definition. You can appregiate a big open rock chord and very clearly hear each note bloom even at the more extreme settings. It has the "Fire" switch to give even more fuzz, but I've never found that necessary at all. Plenty of OD/Fuzz in "normal" mode.

I play mostly blues, and the Helios has been fantastic for that. David Gilmour used it as his fuzz on the last album.

However, if Phil @ Effectrode says the Mercury is a better blues pedal then I most likely will have to try that out as well. All I know is every Effectrode pedal I've played has been fantastic. He doesn't release stuff just to get something out to sell product, he takes his time, tunes it up right, and releases badass stuff each and every time.

8. Mojo34

Mojo34 Member

You folks know anything about the Effectrode Blackbird?

9. PurpleJesus

Yup, got that too. Can you tell I like his stuff?

The clean channel adds sparkle to almost anything. Depending on the day I have a hard time choosing between that and just my regular old Princeton as the preamp. It has more spank than the Princeton's preamp section, and adds a mids control so you can really dial in whatever effects you're hitting it with.

Using the Classic/Creamy side (I stick w/ Classic - blue led) you can crank the gain and get a massive stack tone and then hit it with a Fuzz Face and get a great Hendrix tone. That's the only way I've ever been able to emulate his Marshalls cranked with a cranked FF going into it.....and do it without shaking my house down. It's a very useful tone shaping tool. I keep it at the very end of my chain to act as closely as possible to regular amp pre.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I love talking about Effectrode's pedals.

10. oil

oil Supporting Member

Do you have the phaser or chorus? Would love to try those. I have the vibe and it is just incredible. Unlike any vibe I have tried and does so much more than 'vibe'. Not much of a vibe guy to be honest but this pedal has left my lovetone flanger and doppelgänger idle. It jus has an incredible 'vibe' about it that doesn't come through in clips. I really like the more subtle sounds.

Never tried the Blackbird or the Tube Drive. Would love a Tube Drive though. Will keep my eye out for a second hand phaser and/or chorus. Will have to try them some day.... Help.... I'm hooked...

11. PurpleJesus

I've got the Helios, Blackbird, Compressor, and Tube Vibe. I've never played the chorus b/c he discontinued it before I'd ever heard of his pedal company. If he still made it I'd probably get one of those too. The new Vibrolux chorus he's working on looks awesome, but I don't think he's released it yet.

You're very right about the Tube Vibe it's a much more versatile pedal than most vibes. Just lush and swampy.

Tube Drive is the next one of his I'm going to get. That puppy has a massive gain range.

12. Mojo34

Mojo34 Member

Nice comments. All the signs point to Effectrode... I'm dreaming that the Blackbird would resolve my issue. I would use it as a "regular" pedal when I have my Marshall AVT50 amp, and hopefully with an A/DA cabinet simulator (or other) when I want to go ampless (i.e. when going someplace on a motorcyle) if I can decide that it would sound real -- probably mostly for rehearsals. But still, with the jams and the rising noise levels, you want to sound right.

Do you think the Blackbird + cab simulator is viable?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  13. PurpleJesus

Absolutely. I mean, if I wasn't such a pedal addict I could probably use it for all my overdrive tones. Clean (green) channel is basically a really sweet Blackface Fender, Classic (blue) is a 4-stage Dumble OD preamp, and the Creamy (red) is a 4-stage Soldano preamp.

You can go from country to blues to rock to metal with it. It's got a dedicated out for a mixing console or cab simulator like you're talking about. It's a beautiful piece of engineering.

14. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Would the mercury work as an always on pedal for lower slight break up od up to full on fuzzies with the turn of the gain knob... and working the guitatrs volume?

15. PurpleJesus

My experience is only with the Helios, but yeah, you could use it as your only OD/Fuzz tone. I find the fuzz at about noon gives you everything from slight break up to saturated fuzz with a Strat's volume knob. You can run the fuzz up higher, but past about 3:00-4:00 on the dial it won't go completely clean and will have a little bit of "hair" on the notes.....but honestly, that's one of my favorite tones in the pedal.

Also, I've got a guitar with some Bare Knuckle Mules (PAFs) in it, and it sounds equally great with humbuckers, I just love Jimi and Floyd so I tend to play fuzzes with a Strat.

16. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

17. jeancoltrane

jeancoltrane Member

18. PurpleJesus

19. jeancoltrane

jeancoltrane Member

thanks :) my favourite part about the helios is how spitty it gets when cranked up, like an actual amp thats about to explode, except in the most musical way possible. its also the only fuzz ive tried that does single coils, humbuckers, clean amp, distorted amp or boosted with another pedal all equally well. it doesnt get woofy but at the same time has a very transparent full bass response. i'm quite surprised it floats so low under the radar here. also sounds good on every amp ive tried, voxs, fenders, marshalls, orange.. which is the opposite of my other fuzzs. gunna try it on my 6ca7 magnatone tonight and see how it goes :)

20. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I don't get the comparison here...The Mercury sounds nothing like a Muff to me...