Effectrode Tube Drive . . . !!!

mafoofan

The Tube Drive doesn't get mentioned very frequently around here. But after extensively play testing it versus my Xotic BB over the past couple of days, I have to say I'm surprised it isn't a forum darling. The BB is an awesome pedal, and I would never have thought anything deficient in it, but the Effectrode blows it away. The TB is far more open and responsive. It's even more transparent.

Am I missing something here?

scotty31

The Tube Drive doesn't get mentioned very frequently around here. But after extensively play testing it versus my Xotic BB over the past couple of days, I have to say I'm surprised it isn't a forum darling. The BB is an awesome pedal, and I would never have thought anything deficient in it, but the Effectrode blows it away. The TB is far more open and responsive. It's even more transparent.

Am I missing something here?

i miss mine.
I have his vibe, trem and comp and with the drive it was a great setup.

Sold it when i started collecting kingsleys.
i reckon i'd still have a use for it with 4 kingsleys :p

fuzzfoot

i miss mine.
I have his vibe, trem and comp and with the drive it was a great setup.

Sold it when i started collecting kingsleys.
i reckon i'd still have a use for it with 4 kingsleys :p

I have a Harlot, but am thinking of grabbing a Tube Drive (setup with low gain tubes). It's the only way I'll know for sure which one I would love the most. I'm quickly becoming an Effectrode fanboy now that I own the Helios and Fire Bottle. Amazing stuff. Curious to know your thoughts on how the two (Harlot and Tube Drive) compare to your ears.

MogwaiBoy

Kingsley Harlot vs Effectrode TD would be one of the ultimate showdowns. Very keen to hear opinions if such a comparison were to be made :)

scotty31

I have a Harlot, but am thinking of grabbing a Tube Drive (setup with low gain tubes). It's the only way I'll know for sure which one I would love the most. I'm quickly becoming an Effectrode fanboy now that I own the Helios and Fire Bottle. Amazing stuff. Curious to know your thoughts on how the two (Harlot and Tube Drive) compare to your ears.

unfortunately don't have a harlot.
2x Jester
1x Jouster
1x Minstrel

Kingsleys remind me more of amp tones.
the Tube Drive has this lovely fat OD pedal tone. less amp like in a good way.

i think I'm gonna have to get one, cos i reckon the TD would love the 4 Kingsleys i have. particularly to push the Jouster

MogwaiBoy

unfortunately don't have a harlot.

Kingsleys remind me more of amp tones.
the Tube Drive has this lovely fat OD pedal tone.

Someone who can actually compare them and the first comment is that the Kingsleys are more amplike. Whoah.

Frome

This pedal definitely deserves more attention, it is the foundation of my dirt section.
Been singing it's praises for quite awhile. I'm guessing that with the plethora of fantastic SS pedals, a tube driven pedal with $429 price tag may not be feasible for most though.
For me it made sense because I run a single channel, non-master amp with a clean base tone dialed in. I use the tube drive to add a separate dirt channel. If I had a dual channel amp I probably wouldn't need it.

Jaredstepp

Have it, love it.

Compared it to the Jester and the Page and would be able to find a use for all of them. I'm just really comfortable with the Tube Drive - Page combo and the Jester would be a little overkill.

happy1shirt

:D

you are right though. i should do a review thread.

possibly grab a tube drive as well to properly compare.

I would love it if you did this. I've been on the fence about buying one of these for a long time. My main problem is I can't decide between Kingskey and Effectrode.

mafoofan

My biggest problem with the Tube Drive is that it effectively obsoletes all other overdrive/distortion pedals on my board!

The only thing it can't do is a buzzy fuzz or heavy metal distortion. If I could, I would just buy two other Tube Drives so I'd have three in a chain, and then set each to different levels of gain.

FreeBlues

Silver Supporting Member
I would love it if you did this. I've been on the fence about buying one of these for a long time. My main problem is I can't decide between Kingskey and Effectrode.

Me too! I LOVE Effectrode stuff, but am very tempted by the Harlot. A comparison wold be very, very appreciated!

oil

New Tube Drive in the house!! Managed to score a new one from loopersparadise in Germany. Looks like they are still in stock. I just love the effectrode pedals and can't believe that I didn't discover them years ago. now have the Drive, Vibe and Mercury Fuzz and they are all just amazing. The Drive is as commonly stated, extremely amp like and incredibly versatile. I have some more tubes arriving tomorrow to try some other options, a mullard ECC82 and a couple of Phillips ECCC81s. Happy days.

Resonance7

I, too, love this pedal. I second that Effectrode is just kicking other stuff right off the board! I threw in an old RCA blackplate 12ax7 and am loving the added fatness and drive.

Looking forward to hearing back from some other tube swappers!

*I'll repeat my thoughts on Blackbird vs. Tube Drive during a brief demo w/ the blackbird. The tube drive is big, fat, bold, warm, loose and FULL. The Blackbird was much tighter, cleaner, and neater.

Top Bottom