Effectrode Tube-Vibe "New Vibe on the Market"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Oct 27, 2005.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

2. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

looks cool

how much is it?

3. TheTrowerFreak

TheTrowerFreak Member

I don't know, but it says "prices are in Pounds Sterling" (in Oregon?)

Those sound clips set a new low, why even mention SRV/Trower/Hendrix?

Color me unimpressed. :(

TTF

EDIT: a VERY quick email return reveals $395.00 U.S. as the price.

4. muddy

muddy Member

it actually sounds like it might be great. it's the performance on the clips that don't do it any favours. for one, the player is doing silly things with the speed pedal, and second, he never sets it at a slow, jimi-style speed, which is what we really, first & foremost, wanna hear if it can do. the unit itself sounds pretty lush & warm though. i'll have to listen again later, as it's too early for me to turn it up here.

ml

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi,

The effect maybe ok, but it's hard to judge because the demo player sucks so much. Zeus!

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree. Ditch the underwater crap and add a Bridge of Sighs clip if they want to sell them.

7. erksin

erksin Member

I thought all of his pedals sounded pretty weak - warm, yes - great, no. I never understand why they post such crappy clips to hawk an expensive unit like that - for that kind of $$$ I want to really hear what the thing can do.

Michael Ibrahim of MI Audio does his own clips - not the greatest player by his own admission - but his clips are incredibly thorough and give you a very real sense of his pedals capabilities. I wish everybody would follow his example - a few noodly passages on one setting does not help me make an informed decision...

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good points. I have always felt the sound clips on botique pedals are often the weak point. I don't need to hear a "pro" playing, but I want to hear the pedal as it is likely to be able to sound through "regular" amps with regular guitars.

I also want to hear it in different situations, with different settings, and especially want to hear it doing the same passage clean with no effect first...that to me is the most important to hear how it is setup without the effect.

In fact, my ideal would be, you go to a site, pick your main guitar type, main amp type (or style...just like the modelers do, pick "blackface" or "british" or "vintage") and then hear it clean, then with the effect in different configurations.

It wouldn't be all that hard. In fact, I get kind of amazed that they don't do more with sound clips since it is the real test of the pedal. Sometimes I go by reviews and word-of-mouth, but you get a lot of dissapointments that way too.

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yes, for $400 I think paying a studio musician or at least somebody that can play a vibe well would be well worth it. Considering it's all we have to go by, those clips are indeed possibly doing more harm than good.

10. erksin

erksin Member

Agreed - the clips are the pedal makers only real interface with potential customers if they aren't easily available to demo in person. I don't think it's a queation of the demo player's abilities, though - it's rather a question of doing a thorough demo of the pedals capabilities/sounds. How many times do you hear just one 15 second clip of a pedal doing one sound, but the description goes on about how versatile the box is? Frustrating for sure - that's why it's been so helpful to have guys like The Gainster here who actually put some thought into their pedal demos...

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah....that really is THE thing. Sound clips are needed, and ought to be done well.

Sometimes you hear a sound clip like this one, and think "maybe the pedal could be good but I can't tell" and other sites you hear EXACTLY that sound you want and wonder "yeah...but is this some incredibly expensive guitar, through the pedal, and into like a Dumble (not that I know what a Dumble sounds like) or some exotic amp....

That's why I think if I ever market some pedals, I am going to spend a LOT of time on the sound clips, making sure the listener hears how it sounds naked...so they can either think "oooh...I can get that sound, and then if I turn the pedal on it probably will sound a lot like THAT!"

12. exodus

exodus Member

on a different note--

seeing the tubes stick out like that is cool to stare at... but if I was really gigging and moving gear around, it just seems all too easy to break them. That rail guard might be good against size 12 shoes, but what happens if it meets a 12 oz beer?

Still though--its seems like a cool unit.

13. effectrode

effectrode Member

Sorry you don't like the sound clips.

If you can send me samples of what styles, etc you want to hear, I'll see if I can get some better quality clips on line.

Thanks

Phil

14. TheTrowerFreak

TheTrowerFreak Member

Uhhhhhhmmmm. You might first try the three guitarists mentioned on your web page ... :rolleyes:

SRV - Trower - Hendrix?

MikeTTF

15. Colt

Colt Member

aw man, I got here too late. The clips are already off his site. I'm looking forward to the new ones then. I LOVE vibe's, interested in hearing your take on it.

16. effectrode

effectrode Member

Colt,

Please check in to the effectrode site over the next week, as I'll putting high quality sound samples on there shortly.

Phil

17. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Nice looking pedal. Maybe it's just me but I've never thought a univibe clone needs tubes to sound better. I look forward to hearing the new clips all the same.

18. gururyan

gururyan Member

Ditto, looking forward to new clips as well. Hopefully some much slower vibe versions too. The quick "underwater" stuff is interesting to see top speed, but not very musical in my opinion.

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for the new clips!

Sounds nice and organic. Really dig the Bridge of Sighs-clip. Much better!!