Effects-a-holic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sega, Jan 23, 2008.

1. sega

sega Member

I noticed how many requests about Overdrives and even distortion are made at the TGP.

And after a little thinking I was asking myself why buy a pedal to make my amp overdrive while the amp does in a better way.

Could be...

a)So there is people such as me with 2 amps and play them at the same time.But one is a Fender and Fender don't deliver too much distortion :)
    So I have to get a pedal that overdrive my signal or guitar...

b)There is also some people who has big amps and can't drive this monster at home or they will drive the whole block crazy.

c)Some players is for recording, and keeping it low is a must, at home

d)And there is a lot of players who want a different tone than the one that their amps deliver.

Maybe more reasons....

But my main deception his we will never really get the nice saturation of a tube with a pedal.No matter how much money we spent i did not hear one that fake a real tube amp with sag and all the richness and harmonics tube deliver.

We all aware of this behavior of buying new gear, and like people who has dependance on stimulants or video games....we can't control our need.

And manufacturers are aware of this...

So now I don't talk about that to my girlfriend cause she will think I'm louzy.
    I prefer that she discover it by herself :)

So is there a Doctor at TGP? I need my pills.......or I will get a Box of Rock for my Fender Deluxe pretty soon!

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Agreed, but there is one misplaced assumption in there.

Only SOME of us want to have an OD pedal sound like an amp.
    I have also come to believe that none of them do, but it doesn't bother me because...

It's like the vibe. Originally they were trying to emulate a real Leslie speaker sound. They didn't get all that close really, so you could also say "no vibe will make you sound like a leslie", except..guess what...
    Some folks took the non-leslie-sounding-sound, and made it work, and liked the sound IT gave, with even some preferring the vibe sound to the Leslie (as they are very different).

Same here. I think some people like the sound of the OD pedals that even don't sound like an amp being pushed.

Also, what it sounds like in a room alone, is a whole other ballgame than what it sounds like in a band situation. Like I always say about the Zendrive, it cuts, but does it while blending, and some kind of combing of frequencies makes it dovetail in while holding it seperate, with a band!

3. dancehall

dancehall Member

Another thing is that not all of us want an amp that goes into overdrive easily. I, for one, need an amp that can do big, gorgeous clean sounds with lush reverb at a loud volume. I'm probably not going to get that from an 18 watter.

4. ARch

ARch Member

That's why I chose the Fender Twin Rev. RI a long time ago. I've definitely made the rounds with OD pedals trying to find some that would work, and I've just recently gotten to the sweet spot with a few (FDII -> OCD -> BoR). Thanks to the other effects-a-holics here, I've been able to go through quite a few pedals in my search.

That Box of Rock is very amplike (and the boost kills by itself!), so I think you'll enjoy it.

I know a lot of people go for the Tonebone or other ODs w/ tubes in them to try and get that tube sound -- the problem is one or two power-starved 12AX7's generally isn't the tube sound people want. One of those little myths I suppose that tubes in a pedal make it more amp-like.

As far as amps go, I definitely use them to drive before the Fender, but with the Mesa, I just use 'em all as clean boosts to drive the Mesa into distortion. There's definitely some coloring based on the pedal, but in general, it sounds like my amp.

5. sega

sega Member

Hey ARch,

I think I got a set up similar to yours,

Mesa and Fender.

That is why I need something a little more than my Fulldrive II that is going trought my Fender Deluxe to balance the signal of overdrive.
    The Boogie has lot more drive that the Fulltone 2.
    So when I drive the boogie fo more drive the Fulltone does'nt fill the gap.

So I'm thinking of getting the Box Of Rock or another pedal to join my Boogie for leads.I'll keep the fulltone since it has a nise low overdrive.

6. dancehall

dancehall Member

Yeah I was thinking of getting this, definitely need something for crunchy power chords. I hope I can find one to demo first as my amp is already fairly bassy (Ampeg Reverberocket)