Effects Board Signal Writer's Block - HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lifeson1, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lifeson1

lifeson1 Member

Okay, I ripped up my board today to "re-arrange some things with the addition of a Sun Face and a gutted Dunlop Wah (relax, it was already broken)turned expression pedal for my Time Factor. So, i hooked everything up, and it just doesn't 'sound right'. In fact, the signale started deteriorating very quickly. So, please help me with this chain! here we go:

Ernie Ball Volume
    Boss Tuner (bypass through the ernie ball)
    Budda Clyde Deluxe
    Keeley Compressor
    AnalogMan Sun face Fuzz
    Boss - DS-1 (mod)
    Fulltone OCD
    Xotic AC Booster
    Fulltone Fulldrive 2
    Boss Noisegate
    Boss Chorus
    MXR Phaser
    MXR Flanger
    Boss Analog Dealy
    Eventide Time Factor

So, should I push the Fuzz in front of the Wah? Should I move the volume in front of the drive's? Please, ALL suggestions are welcome! Thanks guys!

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

fuzz before wah. fuzz first.

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

If the wah is true bypass it shouldn't make that much of a difference when off. I would check that. And I'd also move the volume pedal after the drives (for my preference as well as checking to see if it's the tonesucker).

4. Merelington

Merelington Member

At first glance the problem seems to be that you have too many pedals and aren't getting the most out of your guitars signal. As long as the pedals before the fuzz are true bypass thats fine (you don't want a buffer before fuzz pedals). I also keep my volume control at the end of my chain unless you want to control the amount of input going through your drive pedals..this obviously changes the way the drive behaves. If you want to just control the volume without changing the pedals' characteristics..put that volume at the end. Other than that it looks to be fine (also if you aren't already using one I'd look into a power supply like the voodoo labs pedal power 2 or burkey flatliner)...each jack is isolated which removes some excess white noise.

5. lifeson1

lifeson1 Member

I agree with the 'too many pedals' part. I"m a total geek. I'l going to take out my analog delay and probably the Modded DS-1 and the Full-Drive. I'll also move the fuzz in front of the wah to test out and move my volume pedal to the end of the 'row'. I'm waiting on a new CAA OD-100 that has been on order for a while now, so all of this is running into a Deluxe Reverb Silverface (I know, NOT the best choice of amps for a board setup) - but, I still need to play, right?

6. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Put the drives in the order of lowest gain to highest gain, except for the fuzz which as others have said should go up front. Place the volume pedal after everything else except the delays...allows you to do volume swells without hearing the attack of the delayed signal.

7. lifeson1

lifeson1 Member

So, should I put the VOlume AFTER the Flanger and Phaser, and then just in front of the delays? And then according to you if I kept all the drive pedals in order, go from

Fuzz>Wah>Compressor>AC Booster> Full Drive> DS-1> then OCD?

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

try dropping the tuner in after the fuzz, although good for bypass in the VP, the buffer early on might be helpful in driving so many pedals