Effects for Noise Rock/No-Wave/Contemporary music

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AndreasGJ, Feb 27, 2015.

1. AndreasGJ

AndreasGJ Member

Hello, you guys!

I was wondering if any of you were into straight up noise, perhaps inspired by contemporary/electro-acoustic music. What I'm really asking is if you know any crazy effects/pedals out there. Octave-thingies like the POG, synths, analog delays that oscillate, fuzzes that squeal, the ehx freeze, etc.

I have in my collection right now a couple of crazy toys a fuzz factory, a Boss DM-2 and a MXR Carbon Copy, a tremolo and a wah that I use in conjunction with the fuzz factory to a decent effect. I'm also thinking about putting a pickup between the bridge and the stoptail-piece on one of my cheap guitars to see what that would be like... I'm basically just experimenting. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

I don't listen to much straight up noise very often, but the use of the term "no-wave" in your title caught my eye. What sort of music/bands are you interested in?

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Feedback loopers and the whole MASF pedals collection.

4. AndreasGJ

AndreasGJ Member

I don't know alot about the subgenre but I'm mostly into John Zorn, Marc Ribot, the Lounge Lizards and Sonic Youth atm... I've listened mostly to earlier electro-acoustic and "contemporary classical" music in addition to Tom Waits and The Birthday Party which is sort of where it all started for me. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look further into it! I'm also really wanting a ring modulator at the moment... Does anyone have any suggestions for ring mods on a budget?

5. Cascadia_Cam

Cascadia_Cam Member

you are about to venture into a dangerous obsession. All of the pedals you mentioned are great (the freeze is amazing) but there are many dangerously weird boxes out there that may make even the fuzz factory seem boring! :cool:

Fairfield Circuitry- Randy's Revenge (yes, Ring Modulators are nothing new but their dissonance and strange tone is so rarely taken advantage of that the effect never sounds dated or era-specific. If you're ever going to get a Ring Mod, this is the one... of course I haven't tried the almighty Lovetone Ring Stinger)
    Catalinbread- Perseus (a more insane and loud take on the MXR Blue Box. Just amazing for the right applications)
    Devi Ever- Rocket/Dwarfcraft- Synth Mangler (I've had both and they both contain Devi's Soda Meiser circuit. This is nasty fuzz for new music. You can go from a, Superfuzz sort of sound, all the way to the depths of distorted, clipped, glitchy mayhem)
    Death by Audio Robot- Just watch demos (of all their pedals!)

also some I've only heard but never tried:
    WMD- Geiger Counter
    Earthquaker Devices- Arpanoid
    MXR 4-knob Flanger (I know this might not seem like an obvious one but watch the PGS demo. Andy coaxes some strange and harsh sounds from this thing)

the I<3FUZZ forum will have lots of info about the weird stuff.

:peenut

6. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

MXR Blue Box is reasonably priced...gives some good noise and has been used by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore at length.

Also, the Geiger Counter is great, but not cheap. Same for Red Panda Particle.

Mr. Black Downward Spiral is a very cool delay as is the very reasonable Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter.

There are so many more, but I'm not as into noise effects as others around here!

7. AndreasGJ

AndreasGJ Member

A dangerous obsession, indeed... Wow! Thank you so much! The MXR Flanger was really cool. I'm looking for a flanger for another project so I will have to look out for that one. Wow. Also, the Synth Mangler was really cool. A bit out of my leage so to speak but I'm gonna have to think about that one. Really cool... When it comes to ring mods it's either a randy's revenge (thanks again) and a moog... I'll have to figure it out heh ^.^

8. AndreasGJ

AndreasGJ Member

Thos last two were awesome... I'm gonna be Mr. Delay and Fuzz at the end of this - Jesus. There is so much cool **** out there!

9. Modulator

Modulator Member

Anything by Last Gasp Art Laboratories
    T-Resonator by Jomox
    Grendel Commander (not really an effect but a sound generator)
    Anything with an FX loop in it (Moogerfoogers, some delays, DBA feedback loop pedal, a small mixer with an effects send/return, etc).

Be careful, weird pedal effects was a gateway drug to modulars, which made me poor and sell things I don't use to support the addiction.

and something interesting from Chris Carter (of Throbbing Gristle) for the noise oriented peal user showing you don't need to spend tons on boutique gear to be noisy:
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/...hris-carters-no-midi-no-keyboard-musical-rig/

10. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

http://www.knasmusic.com/products/moisturizer/moisturizer.php

an amp top unit but totally worth it.
    spring reverb with exposed strings and an LFO filter.
    Every parameter is expression pedal controls or too, so you can have a big deep spring verb and then crazy filter noises controlled by your foot and stuff. There are some videos of this being done on youtube

11. Chrome Dinette

As far as ring mods go, I have a Moog and have used a PAIA, but I now use an EH Ring Thing. Presets and the ability to instant tune it by holding the left button down while aging a note make it very useful.

You can also make it glitch by not releasing the left button while tuning the carrier.

It's not a bad pitch shift, either.

12. Chrome Dinette

The Red Panda Particle is a very useful delay:

13. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Caroline Kilobyte with the Space Invaders knob cranked.
    Also, I get some pretty weird sounds with a BAT Pharaoh feeding an EQD Organizer.

14. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

yeah ****in this

15. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

Particle was the first thing that came to mind :dude

16. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

PTD fuzzes are really terrific for creative racket. Tornita, Rotobone, and Mini-bone do things unlike any other fuzz I've used.

There's a lot of noise potential in the Eventide H9.

17. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

I also love a choppy trem in my noisey rock ala:

18. tapehead

tapehead Member

Mr. Black pedals.
    Also Dr. Scientist.
    Also also Moog.

19. Chrome Dinette

Here's one, but I don't know if it's just a one off by the guy who built it or if it's a copy of something that was sold commercially. The guy who made it doesn't know much about it, just that he got a schematic from a friend.

It has a 386 and 555 inside and is a bit of a fright. Some settings let the carrier come through and some suppress it unless playing:

20. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

It's a bit like a Fuzz Factory with an LFO controlled by the (I assume) 555's initial attack envelope.