Effects for travel?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bobcs71, May 8, 2019.

1. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

hey! I’m considering a multi effects or small board for travel. There would be a back line amp. I use overdrive, boost, delay & reverb. Budget is $350 or less. I play roots stuff: country, rocks & blues. I’m considering a used FlyRig or T-Rex Magnus. I am concerned that with boards, anything other than a 3 prong power supply like Voodoo or Cioks has resulted in noise. Any suggestions or comments or experiences?

2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Valeton also has a Dapper series with similar multi-FX strips available. I have no experience with them, but I've been interested for awhile!

bobcs71 likes this.
  3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

If it were me I think I'd go with a used multi-effects unit. Boss/Line6/etc... Just seems a heck of a lot easier to maintain one piece while traveling vs. 5-6 mini pedals + the power/noise issues that can sometimes happen w/ pedals and not-so-great pedal power units.

If you go with a small Nano sized board I'm sure you can keep it under $350, but it'd be hard if you don't already have the power supply to stay under budget. The mini pedals are really dang good though now a days. You could get new overdrive, boost, delay and reverb mini pedals for $200, Nano for $50 (used) and then have $100 left for a power supply?

Personally, I'd just get a multi-effect and make the best of it, but whatever inspires your playing (and you're willing to put up with) is really the answer.

Not Orange, bobcs71 and coltonius like this.
  4. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I am thinking multi effects. I’ve had lots of pedals and never really found any inspiring. Guitars definitely, amps sometimes, pedals...meh.

PurpleJesus likes this.
  5. kramm47

kramm47 Member

I use a Boss GT-1 weekly. $200 new. You'd need to spend some time building your presets, but the software makes it easy. Lots of drive options, volume pedal or you can set a button to boost, and the delays and reverbs are great. Not as rugged as an OD-1, but it'll travel well.

bobcs71 likes this.
  6. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Ordered a fly rig 5 v2. I should have it tomorrow.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

A DD-3, 2 stage drive and any reverb you like could easily fit that price point and fit a pedaltrain Nano.

bobcs71 and adolan like this.
  8. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have the Tech 21 Fly Rig Version 2 and it is great. I love the tones when you switch it to Cali on the OD/Dist part, the tuner is a nice feature and the overall tone is nice. Recently I have been using the following setup: Fender Eric Clapton strat > Fulltone Wah > Fly Rig 5 V2 > Fender 57 Champ, I put a e609 mic in front of the Champ and the sounds are really impressive for a super portable rig!

0xeneye likes this.
  9. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

When I used to do fly/travel gigs (the last was about 8 or 9 years ago) I'd carry a fuzz, a boost, an analog delay and a wah. The dynamics came via the guitar volume. I used batteries to avoid extra noise issues.

The different Tech 21 Fly Rigs look nice.

10. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Sonicake also makes some ultra cheap fly rig type pedals