Effects for Vocals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by OverdriveLover, Apr 10, 2015.

1. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

I have tried a few different pedals for vocalists in my band, but most of the time they sound very processed or digital.

Anyone here have good experience or use guitar effects? The owner of my studio building actually used my Ross Compressor for his vocals on his new album and said it sounded great.

2. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

i love using guitar effects for vocals! i know Radiohead, Tame Impala, and others have used them for live shows for years to great success.

some of my faves include Boss RE20 for delay/faux reverb, EHX Holy Grail for reverb, and the DL4 for delays, looping. my old guitarist had the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic (which is made for vocals) but i actually preferred my guitar effects to that unit.

a decent DI and impedance converter is crucial as well.

3. OverdriveLover

i did play in a previous band where the vocalist used a DL4 and it sounded pretty good.

I have mixed reviews on the TC stuff as it can sound very mechancial.

any recs for proper DI and impedance converters for a good setup to run effects in?

4. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

tbh, i used this setup, which can be had for less than $40 brand new. souind guys don't get as annoyed when you have your vocal setup as streamlined as possible (they'll still get somewhat annoyed though!).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. FatTiresRollin

FatTiresRollin Member

I feel naked without my TC Helicon Voicelive Play. Throw in the Switch-3 foot switch and it's hard to beat. Even if you just use it for the tone feature, some reverb and delay, it's well worth the investment. You can pick up a brand new one on ebay from an authorized dealer for about $160-180. I get a lot of gear from proaudiostar.

6. OverdriveLover

So the chain would go:

Sm58>audio technia converter>pedal effects> 1/4" input sidekick>xlr output? Is the switch flipped to instrument?