Effects loop....HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by amphead777, Apr 4, 2008.

1. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I've always wanted to ask. " how do you use an effects loop"
    I never wanted to seem stupid. Now I don't mind. A sample board of mine would be : wah>Fuzz>OD>Chorus>vibe>delay>EQ
    I need to know how, what, and where you use the damn thing.
    I now have a amp with an effects loop, so I'm asking the stupid question. Please give exact details. Don't say "plug the modulation in it" How about the rest of the board ? I told you it was stupid.

2. greeny

greeny Member

The important thing to realise is the the effects loop comes between the pre amp and the power amp sections. Therefore it allows you to put (in particular) time effect pedals (Modulation Delay) so that the modulation will modulate a distorted signal (if you play with high preamp gain).

In your current setup if you play with high distortion from the pre and put those pedals at the front of your amp, the preamp will attempt to distort a modulating signal which can sound wierd. Much better to modulate an already distorted signal.

Hence put your Chorus/Vibe and delay in the loop. The EQ you can experiment with, can work in either place.

If you only play clean then you aren't going to see a huge differance whether effects are in the loop or not

3. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Maybe I wasn't clear. As I stated above, I know what effects you plug in. I need to know how you plug it in from your whole pedal board.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Trick question? :confused:- two cables going to the loop for the "in the loop" stomp boxes and one cable going to the front of the amp for in "in front" boxes. Bob

5. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Are you asking how the effects loop is used in the whole context of a pedalboard/amp rig? If so, here's my attempt at it...my pedalboard has four connections, essentially with two signal paths - a direct signal path and an effects loop signal path:

Direct Path
    1. In from guitar
    2. Out to amp's main input

Effects Loop Path
    3. In from amp's effects send
    4. Out to amp's effects return

This is a shot of my pedalboard's 2 inputs and 2 outputs (along with MIDI and power connectors):

[​IMG]

My direct signal runs like this: guitar > fuzz > wah > buffer > overdrive > tremolo > vibe. It then runs from the pedalboard to the main input of the amp.

The effects signal path runs from the amp's effects send to the pedalboard's second input, and then through these devices: chorus > pitch shifter > Zvex Ooh-Wah > flanger > phaser > delay (actually all of these are in true bypass loops, but that's another story). Then signal then runs out of the pedalboard and back to the amp's effects return.

With a setup like this you can place effects where they sound best, either in front of the amp or in the loop.

Does that answer the question, or did I miss it?

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Can you use a mixed pedal board, and just have the modulation and delay go through the loop ?

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey amphead777,

[​IMG]

Yes, you can!! That's how I run my pedalboard. I had a custom made Pedalboard Junction patch bay box built for me for this purpose. I use the 4 cord method which requires 2 guitar cable from guitar/pedalboard & pedalboard/amp and 2 guitar cables for send & return in the effects loop of my amp. My signal path:

Guitar in> Pedalboard Junction custom patchbay guitar input> VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply input> Valvulator I output> Area 51 wah pedal> Korg DT-10 pedal tuner> Pedalboard Junction patchbay amp out> amp input

Effects loop:
    Amp effects send> Pedalboard Junction patchbay effects send input> Visual Sound H2O chorus/delay> Pedalboard Junction patchbay effects return> amp effects return

I use this pedalboard setup for either my VHT Pitbull 45/12 or Marshall 30th Anniversary 6101 1x12 combo amps. I set the effects loop level on the Pitbull 45/12 to low (-10db for effect pedals) and in series. I use the Pitbull 45/12 effects level knob as a master volume. For the Marshall 6101, I set the effects level for -10db and engage the effects loop trim button on rear of amp. This allows the effect pedals to work with the right amount of unity gain of your amp. I hope this helps in your question about how to use the effects loop in your guitar amp.

Guitar George

Guitar George

8. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Impressive, so I take it you need other equipment, and multiple connections I thought it was going to be simpler.
    Thanks for everyone who's chimed in so far.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well at the simplest level you need to run 3 cables to the amp instead of one. Bob

10. amphead777

amphead777 Member

From where to where ?:crazy

11. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

Guitar to wah>fuzz>OD

OD to amp input

Amp SEND to Chorus>vibe>delay>eq

EQ to amp RETURN

Each "to" is a cable

12. amphead777

amphead777 Member

How does the guitar signal get to the amp SEND ?
    If the guitar pretty much goes into the amp. How does the signal get to the delay,chorus,etc.? Sorry I'm finding this so difficult.

13. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

The signal goes in to the amps INPUT. Then it goes through the preamp tubes (the little bottles!). Then the amp takes the signal and sends it to an output jack (the SEND). You plug a cable from SEND to more pedals, then back again to RETURN. Now the signal goes to the power tubes (the big bottles!) and eventually on to the speaker output and harmonic bliss.

The send and return is like a detour that happens to the signal between the preamp and power tubes.

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

How do you tell the big bottles ? LOL

15. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

[​IMG]

The one on the RIGHT is the big bottle! Hope that helps!

16. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Isn't that Ed Sbragia ?

17. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

Why yes, as a matter of fact that is Ed Sbragia. Good ole' Ed looks just a little TOO friendly with that bottle of wine.

18. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey WurstBurst,

That's still the 4 cable method I mentioned earlier.

Guitar George

19. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Yeah, Ed's a good guy.