Effects Loop Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by novawind, Sep 22, 2008.

1. novawind

novawind Member

So I have a love hate relationship with my TSL60. I love the sound I get out of it, I just wish I could use my delay and modulation in the effects loop. Right now I have them out front and then that inhibits me from using them with the TSL's built-in crunch and lead channels. FWIW, the lead channel can dial in a great Sweet Child o Mine tone that I love.

The problem is this: the effects loop is parallel. Whenever I use the delay and modulation in the loop, even with the effects mix knob on 10 and a booster in the loop, it still does not sound quite right and I can't get the effects as pronounced as I like them. I would love to be able to convert it to serial. Is this possible? Does anyone out there do mods for this or know how? Or am I doomed to sell the TSL and get a different head? Kind of upsetting considering I finally found a head that I like.

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Have the same problem with my DSL401 combo, the parellel FX loop provides a direct signal that is usually 180 degrees out of phase with most effects, so if your effect is providing a direct (dry) signal the direct will cancel. some effects that have only one output will not work in the effects loop, you need an effect that has a seperate wet, dry output or if the effect has a mixer, set the mix to 10 so the effect is providing only the wet signal.

google parallel effects loop, I had seen some conversion on the web, but not finding them now.

here are free marhall schematics, you might find an easy fix for the parallel loop

http://www.marshallschematics.com/

3. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

You might not like my suggestion, but I've given up on loops. The only way I know for you to preserve your tone is to re-amp your time based f/x with a 2nd amp using the line out on the back of your main amp.
    Maybe you can find a 2nd TSL/DSL used or even something else that will just amp your f/x?

I'm currently not gigging, so I use another amp for this, but I was actually thinking about grabbing a small combo for my re-amp/wet sound and placing it right next to my other one so it sounds like the dry & wet signals are all coming from the same source.

4. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

A fix for the out of phase direct signal can be accomplished with a couple of different boxes by Radial. They have the Bigshot Mix pedal with a phase switch or their ABY switch will work by using the transformer B side of the unit and changing the polarity. It might help to know what efx units you are using. Sometimes running two in series can be a problem.

My amp has a parallel efx loop but the delays I use all have the ability to get a 100% wet signal. My EVH Flanger doesn't and it is out of phase in the loop.

5. novawind

novawind Member

Right now I'm running:

Strat -> EB jr -> OCD -> DS-1 -> Micro Amp -> MXR Stereo Chorus -> DD-20 -> RC-20XL -> BBE Sonic Stomp -> TSL60

Would also be great to get the RC-20 to play nicely in the loop so I can record the Marshall's sound instead of record a clean phrase, loop it, and then swap the Marshall channels (though I haven't tried the RC-20 there since I got it).

The MXR Chorus should soon be replaced by a TC Nova Modulator.

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Kind of the worst configuration, Marshalls not the greatest clean amp in the world, but its a great amp, as flameout said running two amps live is good, I would run a distorted Marshall direct and Fender clean amp wet off of a Memory Man pedal, really sounded great that way, when I was playing as the only guitarist could make it sound like there were a couple gutiars playing, The Whammy pedal with its detune gives that effect as well, pretty cool.

not sure that a TC Nova is going to work in a parallel FX loop, have not played one, but its a left and right, and I don't see a mix on the pedal.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tcnova.php

7. cochese

cochese Supporting Member