Effects loop problem on Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100 Head

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by annostyle, Feb 27, 2012.

1. annostyle

annostyle Member

I recently bought a 2005 Marshall DSL100 head off eBay. Everything sounds killer on the amp, but when I run some pedals in the effects loop (delay, noise suppressor), the tone becomes very thin and noisy. Even with the pedals turned off. This doesn't happen when I don't have anything plugged in to the effects loop. Any insight as to what causes this? Hopefully a reasonable solution?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

pedals don't belong in effects loops.That's the easy answer.The reason is they don't have sufficient buffering to bring the signal strength up high enough to use in an un-buffered effects loop.
    Effects loops on most amps work best with rack-mount effects that are specifically designed to buffer or boost the signal to overcome the losses.
    The Marshall effects loop obviously doesn't have a level buffer to boost the input or output signal,or at least you aren't using it.

3. ghost driver

ghost driver Member

I believe the Marshall DSL100 loop has a fx boost as well as most Marshalls. Be sure to push it in.