Effects of CPU under-volting on low latency audio?

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
More of an academic question as I'm not facing this issue right now. Generally the rule for under-volting has been to keep working your way down until you have obvious stability problems and then back off when you hit the limit. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this (not necessarily while overclocking) on a music PC where low-latency performance and stability are important. Could be a good way to unlock a bit of potential for laptops if they can be kept further from thermal throttling.

drfrankencopter

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like a bad idea to me...undervolting would be a great way to introduce possible stability issues.

If you're experiencing thermal throttling you should look at improving your heat-sinking. I believe undervolting is more popular for folks looking for super quiet computers so they can get away with operating in a fanless, or near fanless configuration.

That said, I guess in a laptop you're kind-of stuck with whatever cooling the OEM has configured. So, in that situation...I dunno. But in a desktop, I'd say no.

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
Oh yeah, it's always a possibility. Usually the reason to do it is to create some headroom for overclocking (and many people do this to run games for long periods, so stability does matter) or to make up for an otherwise inadequate cooling solution. But games aren't the same thing as audio, necessarily, so I'm just trying to see if anyone has done it before or has some technical insight.

Trending Topics