Effects problems and questions......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Apr 13, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hi guys! I am having some problems and was hoping you all could provide some advice?

I'll start with the question. Do you guys prefer digital or analog delay? I am using the TC Electronic Nova delay with my Egnater MOD 50. Problem number one, is this amp requires line level effects.

Could I just use something like an MXR Carbon Copy delay? Dunlop says it handles line level. It is rated at +5. I doubt it can be calibrated with the Egnater like the Nova though. This is one of the few analog delats other than the Maxon AD-9 Pro that will handle line level. Thoughts on this guys?

Now the problem I am having is this. I have the Nova in the parallel loop of the MOD 50. I am only hearing the repeated sound, not the dry sound. Make sense? Hope I am explainng correctly. Basically, if you hit a chord, you hear nothing for a second or two till the delay kicks in....weird but I can't figure this out. I have it in the Mod 50 loop with the level on the Nova set to max. Maye I should try the series loop.

The other problem is with my Monte Allums modded Boss GE7. If I use just the Boss EQ in the loop...after about 3-5 minutes, I lose gain and it sounds whimpy. I then unplug the cable from guitar to pedalboard and the cable from pedalboard to amp. I plug it all back in and the gain is back. Could this be an issue with the lack of line level support with the Boss GE7(not Line level)? Maybe I should grab an MXR EQ.

Now, this problem goes away if I also have the Nova delay in the loop which can do as high as +12, so it does do line level. Maybe the Boss is losing signal due to it not being line level....then it goes right to the Nova delay and is able to carry the signal back through the loop? This is my only thought.

So, does this mean I should sell the Boss GE7 and get something that is line level, hence an MXR for example? Honestly I was thinking of getting an MXR EQ and MXR Carbon Copy delay. All Dunlop stuff will do line level. All are about +5.

I also have an ISP Decimator pedal and I wish it was line level because I want this in the loop.

Thanks!
    Rich

2. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

The first advice: read the Nova manual.

You say: "I have it in the Mod 50 loop with the level on the Nova set to max" ...it isn't a level control, it's a MIX control. If you have it on 100% you're not SUPPOSED to hear anything else than the delayed signal.

Re: parallel loop; use the loop in series mode, it will work better. If you want to know why, read a few of the Nova threads, 'cause I haven't got the time to type right now, sorry.

Re: line level loop; CALIBRATE the Nova, it will do either line or instrument level just fine.

Re: GE-7; can't help you there, sorry.

Hope this helps, and again: read the Nova manual. I've seen a million threads with questions regarding the Nova, where the answers were plainly written in the manual...

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks bro, I read the manual but I think I interpreted the MIX control wrong. Thanks!

So, MIX on '0'..means equal amounts of original tone and delayed tone? Does it mean how much delay is mixed in, hence if it is on '0', you have all original signal? What would be the optimal setting. I want equal original and equal delayed tone. Thanks!

I don't recall a level control on the NOVA but Egnater states the effect level must be on max to work with the amp. I'll try the Series loop.

I think since the Boss is instrument level...the signal is dying but the Nova is picking it up and pushing it through. Is this okay or do I need a line level EQ?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!1

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

So, 50% would be about right.

I actually hate programming gear so I was thikning of analog or something easier. What about the MXR Carbon Copy delay or Maxon AD-9 pro? Both are linbe level. I rarely use delay though...but nice to have. I guess I should forget about the Nova system then.

For as little as I use delay, I don't want to spend $400 for the T Rex. Oh well..... are there alternatives?

Rich

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

My delay has to be line level so the MXR Carbon Copy or Maxon would have to work. The Carbon is cheaper than the Maxon AD9 Pro.

The Nova is way cheaper! You noticed a big loss in punch????

I use delay for some solos, not much on clean - mostly chorus on clean but some delay at times. I hate pedal dancing so I wish there was another good solution.

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

So does that mean analog would be best in retaining punch and dynamics? If so, I can check out the Maxon AD-9 Pro and MXR Carbon Copy.

7. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Dude! Set the nova in the chain where you want it. Read the calibrating instructions and you should be fine.

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

Maybe I'll look to the Carbon Copy. I love simplicity and lack of programming so an analog delay would be nice.