Effects Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jiffy_Jeff, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I have been asked to play with a new cover band and am looking for some pedal suggestions.
    We will be playing everything from Floyd, Skynard, Clapton, R&B, Funk, to Rockabilly, with some new rock mixed in. i.e. Smashmouth, Daughtry, Green Day....

Now here is what I have.
    EB Volume Pedal, CMATMODS--Ross Clone--phat boost--Brownie, Ibanez AD9, Boss DD-3. I think I have a cry baby wah around here somewhere too.

Amp: Fender Bassbreaker
    Guitars: Gretsch 6120DSW, USA Nashville Tele with active EMGs

Is there anything I should ad on to my pedal board (I have a little room left on my pedaltrain) to make sure I can get close to all the music styles above. I dont need to be exact, but just sound good.

Yes, tone is important, but I have been playing Rockabilly for years now, and this is a new adventure..

Thanks for any help! OH, and I dont want to break the bank...
    JM

2. jstone

jstone Member

Maybe go for a Tube Screamer style pedal and a Rat for the leads as well

3. JimH

JimH Member

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just for another viewpoint....another way to go would be NOT to try and cop every sound out there from every cover you do, but to get your own sound that you are happy with (with the OD variations, etc.) and OWN those songs as yours. You can cop some of the signature licks or riffs, but try and change things up so you don't need to be sound-multiple personalities.

Just one opinion here, but if I hear a band do covers where one song the guitarist sounds like Hendrix, the next like Santana, the next like Knopfler...I never get the sense that I am listening to a real person playing. The key thing about a lot of these folks that you will be covering is, they seem to get ONE main sound with some variations, and stick to it, but you could pick them out just hearing them a little. This is even true if they play a cover song themselves, they still sound like THEM. As a listener I like to hear a guitarist that stands for something...I mean that seems to be playing as themselves. It can sound "Hendrixy" but not copied...etc.
    Otherwise, it is kinda like those films where one actor plays many parts...(never liked those...it always takes me out of the movie) and switches masks all the time. I like a solid sound from a person, and to hear then what they can do with it. Gov't Mule actually plays a lot of covers, but it always sounds like Haynes!

It's just something to think about. Otherwise, a good ME pedal like the Tonelab LE, or something would give you the most chance at mimicing the many different guitar styles and sounds I think.

5. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

I play 3-6 gigs a week..in a variety of styles..my board is:
    Retros sonic phaser
    Retro sonic chorus
    TimeFactor delay
    Pitchblack tuner
    Xotic X blender

Assorted dirt pedals depending on gig:
    Screwdriver, Top Fuel, KOT Tim
    Teese Wah

Probably 80% of the time ( or more I am playing clean or dirty with a little delay. Wah for ( ugh ) disco and/or color for some solos, Mod effects sporadically....I prefer to go for a core tone anfd color to suggest the original's energy/vibe...

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I was thinking Chorus or another 'ambient' style sound or Delay.

7. Jiffy_Jeff

Not trying to cop every sound. Just enough to grab something close to what I need.
    I never learn the leads to any song. Maybe the signature lick that everyone knows, then go off on my own.

Chorus--need one
    Trem-- want one

What about the line 6 modelers? Anyone use them, are they worth the $$$?

I would like to get a nice OD distortion pedal. Aside from the brownie.

8. JimH

JimH Member

if it's board real-estate you're bothered about go for marshall rg-1... chorus, phase, flange, vibrato in one small box.

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I think a fuzz, trem, dirt, and delay should suffice.

10. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

dunlop rotovibe, about a hundred bucks used. quite handy.

11. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Yeah, just be yourself dude. It is all about note choice. I was thinking you might like to try a Stratocaster.

12. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

A Fulldrive 2 wouldn't break the bank or maybe an OCD pedal-either can be had for $130-150.

13. Jiffy_Jeff

Fulldrive looks good....

What aobut pedals that go great with single coil pickups...?

And pedals to stay away from if using single coil pickups?