Effects Switcher

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Giannis, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

Can someone recommend an EXCELLENT stompbox switcher. I heave been looking at the new Carl Martin octa-switch. Also i dont want my WAH included in the switching so please recommend something that allows you to add effects at the begining and/or end.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Do you want something to put your pedals in a drawer or just a multi-looper to stomp on?

3. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

good question. Im pretty sure im after a multi-looper as I like to have control on stage of the effects. ty

4. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Gigrig. The new Voodoo Labs thing looks ok, too. It's no Gigrig, though...

www.thegigrig.com

5. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

thanks for that!! It looks fantastic! but........ im in Australia and thus require 240Volt version and would have to buy in UK POUNDS AND MAN THATS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!

But thanks for the suggestion!

6. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Is money an issue? Are you handy with a soldering iron? Using 3pdt switches to build true bypass loops isn't too hard. Building them into the larger hammond boxes would allow you to put maybe 4 in a box (LEDs aren't a lot harder but do require drilling smaller holes and more wiring...). These guys make a nice product at a great price:
    http://www.loop-master.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=4c8094be7666c3aaed1948a2dd7fe312
    Analogman builds them... As does Lehle, but they're expensive...

8. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

240 volt version? Please explain. I have toured both the States/Canada and Europe/UK with my GigRig. All I had to switch was my power cable. The power supply is good anywhere in the world, as far as I know. Have you Australians gone and done something wacky with your power?

Steve

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

You can add effects before chain on the octa switch, as well as mid chain (just have to get creative with the DIP switches) fpr volumes and such. I think the gigrig is the best out there, but for total midi-like control. regular true bypass loops are incrediably useful for smaller projects and those that don't require as many pedals to be switched in and out.

10. jb1984

jb1984 Member

find a used carl martin combinator online.

i paid about $330 for mine - it powers your pedals, runs them in separate loops, allows you to create patches and gives you three banks that you can access. imho, beats the pants off the octaswitch.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

12. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

America apparently has a 110v power supply, we here in Australia have a 240v power supply, therefore all our gear requires a different transformer or a step-down transformer... the UK also run on 240/230v...

cheers

L.

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Go with the Loop-Master, unless you need realllly extreme preset changes (like clean w/reverb to fuzz+delay+flange+phase etc...) Plus with the loop master you can stack combinations on the fly for increased creativity. The thing I don't like about the gig rig is A) too expensive and B) very little tweaking on the fly.

14. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Right. So, like I said, it's good anywhere in the world! All you do is switch out the power cable (standard computer style) to whatever one suits the country you're in. I have one cable for Europe and one for N.America. I could also just bring one cable and a few end attachments. As for the Gigrig being inflexible...I used to think that too. Luckily there is an update that allows the top row of buttons to be used to add/subtract individual effects plus use the bottom row to revert to a preset. It's still expensive, though. I can't really argue with that.

Steve